Status
Not open for further replies.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
So I like trying to help people out with their set ups. I'm not super knowledgeable or anything but I know what I know & want to help anyone just starting out move in the right direction for them.

HST I find it incredibly frustrating trying to help these days. Ever since I got my REOs & worked out my issues (ISSUE really as it was just one & took a minute to fix lol) I find it hard to answer questions about where someone should go from, say, problematic Protanks & such.

Many years ago I remember someone posting a thread where they basically said, new members do yourself a favor & just buy a REO & skip all the other stuff (because he felt it was just the most efficient). I remember thinking 2 things about this thread. 1. I don't like the look of those mods so I don't want one (lol). I didn't have any problems with my set up so there was no reason to consider it, therefore I did not. 2. A LOT of people did not appreciate that poster basically implying that everyone should just get that type set up. I don't know why really. I just remember reading a lot of comments criticizing his suggestion.

Now that I have moved onto the REO (I didn't need something different then but when it was time to "upgrade" I remembered that guy's post) I completely understand why that guy posted that thread. Every time I see someone asking for help with this tank or that clearo, etc., I have to resist the urge to jump on the thread & tell them, look you're NEVER going to completely fix your problems with the clearo. You need to get a REO & be done with it (lol).

So I'm curious, when someone has posted a problem with something you KNOW will always be somewhat a problem (ie hit or miss on clearo head quality) what advice do you give?

SingedVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
The REO is not for everyone. And most of us understand that. I remember first hearing about it and not liking how the REO looked. It wasn't until I went through several mods that I understood and finally got one.

And on another hand do remember that at the end of the day the REO is a mechanical mod and we shouldn't ever recommend a mechanical mod to a new vapor.

Sometimes you have to struggle for a while to truly appreciate something. I'm not saying that we should turn our backs on every vapor having problems, but coming into a thread and bombing it like that does more harm than good. Yes I first hand want to suggest the reo to everyone. But we need to make sure they are ready or at least be willing to teach them first.

There are plenty of people out there perfectly happy with an ego or an MVP. We should neither look down not judge them. If they have found there sweet spot then that's wonderful. But for us we simply needed more. I remember struggling with every mod that I had until I decided to put down the money for a reo. And speaking of money. Let's be honest. The REO is a high quality expensive mod (although the price is plenty justified) many vapors cannot justify spending that kind of money on a mod. I know I couldn't at the time.

You may mean well. But never look down on someone for what they want. I remember earlier I was helping convince someone that the provari was a good choice for them. We want what we want and while we do appreciate suggestions sometimes they don't matter. I don't really know what my final point is but I do understand exactly where you are coming from. :)

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
I don't look down on anyone & that wasn't the thought process behind my OP. I NEVER suggest mechs (even the REO) to new vapers as I know it's just not what they need.

But it's still hard for me to think of suggestions for someone with, say, an Ego Twist/protank combo to fix their tank problem when in my head I know that the tank IS the problem. This is precisely why I asked what other people offer for suggestions in these situations.

The only time I ever suggest the REO is when the OP has made it clear they are experienced with or interested in mechs & into rebuildables. Otherwise I don't.

Last edited:

kinggirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Dallas
I could not agree more with you. I'm all about helping people - in the forum and in life in general. But, I find it hard to go to the "new members forum" these days because it's frustrating for me lol. I know my vape journey and I didn't make that full quit until I got a reo. But, I guess everyone has the same journey and the most we can do is try to help where we can.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I understand what you are saying, and a Reo setup sure as heck would fix a huge number of problems that people experience with anything from BCC clearo's that they can't get along with to people who buy cheap mechanical after cheap mechanical - because they insist on buying cheap mechanicals that have this switch problem or that thread problem or the other conductivity problem or...

As SingedVapor was getting at - you have to follow their lead. I can tell almost anyone how to fix the problems they are having with a BCC Kanger - and I do. But if they don't follow and correct what is wrong or have radically inappropriate expectations from a device or a PV the answer to all problems isn't a Reo either. That can be equally as annoying as the people who tell every new member to just buy a ProThingy, just because they are enamored of their ProThingy.

You advise based upon what people are actually asking about, not on what you happen to like. See that bit of information go right over people's heads a lot in the New Members forum. If someone wants to know if an MVP2 is a good choice, you tell them what is good and bad about an MVP, not blow it off and just say. "That sucks! Buy what I bought!" That happens way too often.

If it seems like a Reo is a good fit to the question or issue at hand I will definitely recommend one and tell them why. But every time someone wants to fix a problem with a ProTank the answer isn't to blow off their questions and tell them to buy something else instead.
:2c:

Last edited:

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Depending on my mood do I jump into a thread like the one you mentioned. I use to trying to help and now I just post the suggestion of a bottom feeder and not mention the REO if the waters look hostel if you know what I mean. If by just mentioning the generic term bottom feeder and after my avatar and signature they can't figure it out I mean a REO then they're too stupid to own one. :laugh:

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
If it seems like a Reo is a good fit to the question or issue at hand I will definitely recommend one and tell them why. But every time someone wants to fix a problem with a ProTank the answer isn't to blow off their questions and tell them to buy something else instead.
:2c:

Agreed. That's one reason I skip most threads asking for help with Protanks. I've used them a few times & hated them very single time (which is weird because I really like Evods).

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I try to help them - it is possible to make tanks work, but it's a lot harder than wrapping a coil on an RDA and admiring different coloured doors for a week!

Their way of vaping requires a lot of precise wicking, constant cleaning, keeping things upright, watching for gurgling and so on. I used to do it myself. It can work, but it's not robust and a lot of the time it's not fun and practical.

You also have to realise that a lot of people that just stopped smoking use these things and the thought of $150 on a device + $40+ for an atty is not small beer. Same with people on budgets. Ego + tank = $35.

IMO it's better that they learn to rebuild coils on those things first, which have the electronic protection built in, because then if they decide to move to mechanical mods like Reos, they can already make coils and the entire transition is less traumatic.

T

Last edited:

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
I may not be thinking on the same track as you, Zealous, but I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in just the same.
I have co-workers who are attempting to quit smoking with E-cigs--not anything even remotely good, just using the convenience store crap.
They'll vape for a few days, maybe a week--then back on the stinkies. I've counseled them when they asked my advice for a good long time. In their cases, I'd be happy if they bought an Ego. It'd be a step up from what they're using. I've said time and again: "Don't buy the cheap junk, you'll be disappointed with vaping and give it up". All to no avail.
Now these guys are not wealthy but they could afford to buy something better. They can afford Marlboros at $8 a pack.
Like I said previously, this isn't quite what you were referring to but bear with me just one more minute.
What it comes down to is the willingness to make the commitment. For many of us, once we step beyond a certain dollar figure, we are truly commited to making this work. The dime store variety Ecigs don't put us there--we don't have that much invested in vaping, we can still slip back to our old ways telling ourselves, "Well, I tried".
I think the folks you refer to also lack that kind of conviction. Maybe I've been a REOnaut so long that I have a difficult time relating to a recovering ex-smoker who isn't......well, passionate about the dire importance of becoming tobacco-free--at any cost.
Have I rambled? Indeed I have. Sorry about that. Hope I made some sense.:)

Last edited:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Yeah some people don't like REOs and to each their own. I don't usually help or even look at threads asking for advice on tanks or other mods. Mostly because I have no idea how to help them, and I could regurgitate the same advice given to me when I was looking for that damned "perfect amount of wick tucked this way and not that" and all that stuff but others will likely beat me to it anyway. To me personally all that stuff is not worth a second of my time after discovering REOs. I cringe at the money WASTED on that garbage. I could've funded a third REO for gods sake. But, some people like manual transmissions, some like automatic. Or in vaping terms, some like bottom feeders and some like tanks. Let 'em do what works for them and if you have advice to give, give it to help a brother or sister out. I myself will hop in and try to help somebody ONLY if I feel they're not getting adequate help from someone else...but when I see a thread about a kayfun issue or something and it has a lot of replies, do I bother looking? no.

Pre REO I spent hours, HOURS of my PRECIOUS limited time on this earth *trying* to have a good vape for ONE freaking tank. I'm just happy I don't have to do that crap anymore. Yes I'm passionate--I found MY nirvana. but, it's not by any means everybodys, so let them find theirs :)

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
The REO is a magnificent looking mod :blink: What the hell are you folks talking about?

Since moving to an LP and the RM4 I would have to say that I'm spoiled. I use my other equipment less but still enjoy it. I don't have the problems that I did when I first started vaping so maybe that's why I still go back to them today. My wife has a MVP2 and I build PT2's for both of us all the time. There are just places I won't take my REO's because I refuse to put them at risk.

I like to help when I can, you all helped me with just about everything I know today. I always have to pull back when I see people having problems with tanks because my first response is to suggest they stop buying factory coils and start building. Not everyone wants to or can rebuild so I try to bite my tongue. I'm still a big fan of my PT2's with AFC and with a 1.6 ohm coil and cotton they perform outstanding.

I think you should all keep in mind that you bought me to where I am today (good or bad). You helped me learn how to rebuild coils, Baditude and his blog taught me everything regarding safety for dripping and then you taught me how to build a dripper. I used all that information to stay safe and build my rigs to give me ultimate flavor. It was a great progression that ended with the REO. While my REO is my go to device you all gave me the depth of knowledge to cover the full spectrum of vaping.

By the way, you folks rock! Thank you all and don't stop helping people out. In the end they will end up with a REO :)

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
But what Roger is talking about is people unwilling to make the step, rather than the progressive accumulation of more knowledge and better equipment that you are on about.

Others seem to be bemoaning the fact that they know nothing about Protanks or whatever. I think all veterans have a duty to offer help and advice, even if it's sarcastic like mine. I can make a decent genny, kayfun, fogger - i have used them all. We all use batteries, coils and wicks. Everyone knows something about those!

Incidentally, i am not anti any of those things; anything that keeps one from smoking cigarettes is great. The choice that fits my lifestyle and leisure time happens to be a Reo.

T

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
ST there's only so much that can be said about a PT or KFL, once it's been said, why say it again? I feel like that comment was aimed at sloth - sorry if I'm mistaken. People hop on those threads left and right. There's a lot of help provided and if I can ever help anyone I love to help people. But I'm not even decent at a KFL, I am halfway decent at rebuilding protanks and can help people with that. And I do when I see an opportunity where I feel I'm not saying the same thing that was said earlier and a thousand times later in a post.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I'm not having a go at you at all FTS - i'm saying that there are more things in common than there are differences. But 'just get a Reo' is not necessarily a blue sky and rainbows solution to everyone's problems. (that's to Zealous)

And i'll tell you why: squonking is not for everyone - i know people with arthritis and hand problems that find it hard.
Same with wrapping coils and so on.

I'm not interested in all the tanks and the rest, RDAs are my thing and have been for some time now.

But the day a Reonaut offers no help is when i'll change my banner.

T

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
I sometimes will still help out with an Evod or PT problem. (Yes there is such a thing as a properly functioning Evod or PT) I used them exclusively for over 7 months and still use a PT for one of my flavors. Most of the problems with them are caused by the user, or their unrealistic expectations of a clearo. You can tell from reading the post which applies. Grabbing the credit card isn't always the solution to the problem. Unless they say some key words I don't suggest looking at a more advanced device.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
One of the problems when you are a new vapor is you don't want to spend a lot because you don't know yet if you will like it or if it will work.

We've already spent money on patches, gum, some inhaler thing, Wellbutrin and Chantix, lol!

Also that first e cig needs to be fairly easy. Smoking is very easy...light it up and you're in business. Its easy to get frustrated with vaping if too much work has to go into it at first.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
But what Roger is talking about is people unwilling to make the step, rather than the progressive accumulation of more knowledge and better equipment that you are on about.

Others seem to be bemoaning the fact that they know nothing about Protanks or whatever. I think all veterans have a duty to offer help and advice, even if it's sarcastic like mine. I can make a decent genny, kayfun, fogger - i have used them all. We all use batteries, coils and wicks. Everyone knows something about those!

Incidentally, i am not anti any of those things; anything that keeps one from smoking cigarettes is great. The choice that fits my lifestyle and leisure time happens to be a Reo.

T

I often get a good laugh out of most of your posts.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I'm not having a go at you at all FTS - i'm saying that there are more things in common than there are differences. But 'just get a Reo' is not necessarily a blue sky and rainbows solution to everyone's problems. (that's to Zealous)

And i'll tell you why: squonking is not for everyone - i know people with arthritis and hand problems that find it hard.
Same with wrapping coils and so on.

I'm not interested in all the tanks and the rest, RDAs are my thing and have been for some time now.

But the day a Reonaut offers no help is when i'll change my banner.

T

oh ok sorry ST :D sorry to go on a rant defending myself. I do sincerely want to help people. I can totally see arthritis being a squonking issue. Carpel tunnel too. Those are my biggest fears as a bass player and now as a squonker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread