Gourmet Vapor - Initial Impressions & 5 flavor revieww

Status
Not open for further replies.

VprNomi

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
WI
I ordered 10 juices from Gourmet Vapor during their huge sale the first week of January. I haven't tried them all yet, but I have sampled a few.

First of all, I'm astounded at the number of flavors they offer and I have to admit, though I'm impressed by the fact that you can modify not only nic strength and PG/VG ratio (not just a few choices, but any combination in 10%'s), double or triple the flavor but even go for full DIY (you pick the components, they do the mixing) or better yet, for those thinking about going DIY but not quite ready yet, a partial DIY option where you can modify an existing flavor a little bit, I'm also a little overwhelmed by all these choices. I love the fact that the recipe is posted for a lot of the flavors (I wish it were for all of them).

So I decided to start with recipes that already exist. I figure if I find one that's almost but not quite right, I can try modifying it a little with a second order. I love the idea that you can create a juice that's perfect for you from GV without having to actually do the DIYing yourself. I chose the 60/40 PG/VG option because I'm having an issue with throat hit being too strong for me so I'm experimenting with increased VG base to see if that helps. I also ordered 2x flavor because I've heard higher VG can mean less flavor and let's face it - flavor is important. I figure I can add more plain VG to dilute it if the flavor is too strong. Finally, I chose a 6mg strength - again, because of the throat hit issue.

Now that I've starting trying them, this is what I think so far. Overall, they have very little throat hit because of the choices I made (yay! that's what I wanted).

CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY:
Love it. Both flavors are prominent. The chocolate is smooth. The raspberry is good. It's one of my favorites.

CHEESECAKE WITH A LITTLE BIT OF STRAWBERRY:
This is a customer creation. I love it. Definitely cheesecake, particularly on the exhale, with just the right amount of strawberry. Ok, it's a little bit of a "fake" strawberry, but so is the flavor of the strawberry sauce that usually comes with real cheesecake with strawberry topping. I vape this for "dessert" after dinner & also several times during the day - though it's too sweet to be an all-day vape (darn!)

APPLE PIE:
Really good. Tastes just like I hoped it would.

SWEET SPOT COFFEE:
This is also a customer creation. It's supposed to be coffee with vanilla & cream. I like the flavor, though it's a little stronger on the coffee & weaker on the vanilla & cream than I expected. However, I'm having serious issues getting it to work. I use a KR808D & cartos which I fill first, then sort of drip to (by topping off every 10 drops or so). It seems as if I can't get the atty in the carto hot enough to actually vaporize this liquid. It's like sucking air (with the LED lit) for the longest time & then when I finally hear the sizzle, I get a small (and inconsistent) amount of vapor with a little flavor only on the exhale (nothing on inhale). If I keep working at it, it sometimes gets better (more vapor with less effort). Then I pick it up again later & it's back to square one. I thought maybe I used up a lot of juice after one session like this but when I went to top it off, it only took 6 drops & overfilled a little, so that wasn't it. Maybe it just needs higher volt? It's a very, very dark brown liquid so maybe that's the problem? I'm not sure. I think it would be good if it worked right.

WHITE SMURF:
I thought this would be kind of like blueberries with milk & sugar. Terrible. Tastes like plastic to me. Could be because of the 2x flavor though, so I'm going to dilute it & try again.

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
I love Gourmet Vapor, and another member here of ECF and I agree that they should separate the flavors that GV makes from customer creations. I *Think* that if it's GV made, they won't put the recipe, but any customer creation has the option of hiding the recipe, so it's confusing.

Good review! :vapor: I'm curious as well about the Sweet Spot Coffee, but I'm sorry you had trouble with it! I hear Maiden Coffee is a must, but I haven't tried it myself.

Lauralie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2010
Here, there, everywhere!
I bought a bunch of 5ml flavors from them when they had their big sale - still waiting on 8 of them because I changed my order up last minute on them.

Below are my immediate first impressions of each:

I REALLY like Gourmet Vapor!

12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor absolute grape Doable – Not my Fav – need more grape
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor Caity's Tropicran Heaven Very Interesting - Good
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor Pom-Blu AWESOME
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor Snickerdoodlie YUCK
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor pineapple express YUMMY!!!
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor MT DEW Like it – pretty darn close
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor Camel Menthol Just OK
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor Watermelon Jolly Rancher Good, yeah, good
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor boo berry menthol Very good little menthol to it
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor Scary Berry Menthol Very Good but no menthol flavor
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor Bubble Gum It’s OK – doesn’t taste like Bubble Gum though
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor VA-KahMel Good until the after taste
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor Blue RAZ Cotton candy Spot on!!!
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor Perique Blackberry Quite Tasty
12MG 5ML 80% PG / 20% VG Triple Flavor Tobaccolishis Very Interesting - Good

iWill

Aug 31, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Yuck ... ordered four flavors, Marlburro Red, Marlburro Light, World Blend, Denver Blend. All 80/20, regular flavor, and with 12 or 6 mg. All four "flavors" tasted basically the same ... and horrible. Note, I only vape tobacco type flavors, no fruits for me thank you and, I am no newbie, been 100% vaping since last May 5th.

There seems to be two kinds of fluid out there ... good and bad. The good, like from Liberty Flights, e_Smokey Treats, AltSmoke, Totally Wicked ... are all full of flavor, good quality juices. I don't know what sets them apart from what appear to be home made juices.

The bad ... from every other site I have ordered from, Nu Vapor, some local joints, Johnson Creek, and Gourmet Vapor (and others) ... they really all taste about same ... like home made Tobacco Absolute. That stuff is horrible and is NOT Tobacco flavored. These four all smelled similar and though the became more sweet as you read my list from left to right, they all had the same basic BAD flavor ... unusable and down the toilet they went. Thank goodness I got the 60% off.

That's my opinion and I would LOVE to know what the real difference is between the good and the bad. But ... TA just sux, imho.

iWill

alisab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
WI
I love Gourmet Vapors too - one of my two favorite juice vendors, I also love tobacco flavors. The ones I've enjoyed: 555 Black Label is my favorite and RY4, Wiskey Flavored Tobacco, yum! I also like Seattle Blend, and yes, even chocolate raspberry! I have some new flavors steeping now - they will soon be ready to try. I recommend iwill that you don't throw yours away, try them again in a week or two - if you still don't like them then pm me and I will take them off your hands.

VprNomi

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
WI
LOL. I got "lost" (confused) trying to see everything on their site because there's so much so I wasn't really sure what the difference was between the flavors with a recipe and those without.

I think I was right about the SWEET SPOT COFFEE needing more heat in the atty. I realized I'd been using (and killed, I think, for the first time) a V4L CoolCart with it. I filled a regular carto with it instead (not a WOW but probably similar - it used to be a prefilled carto from V2cigs, chocolate flavor) and now it seems to be working. I do like the flavor. I just think it could use a little more cream & sugar (I like a little coffee with my french vanilla creamer in the morning). Still, it's fine as is & I won't let it go to waste.

I also went back to the WHITE SMURF, not diluted, just after sitting for awhile and it's getting better. Still not that great in my opinion, but maybe if it sits a little longer still...

Also tried APPLE PIE again & I like it more the second time around too. I'm getting a bit of buttery-flavored crust flavor along with the apple filling (or fried apple) flavor too now.

Got to ALMOND JOY now too. It's ok but I'm not a big fan. The coconut flavor overpowers the chocolate (course, that could be from the 2x flavor) but what bothers me more than that is that the coconut doesn't really taste like coconut. It's very, very sweet and kind of like cocoa butter if that makes sense. I swear I even feel a greasy coating on my teeth when I vape it. Maybe this could do with a little more steeping too.

I love Gourmet Vapor, and another member here of ECF and I agree that they should separate the flavors that GV makes from customer creations. I *Think* that if it's GV made, they won't put the recipe, but any customer creation has the option of hiding the recipe, so it's confusing.

Good review! :vapor: I'm curious as well about the Sweet Spot Coffee, but I'm sorry you had trouble with it! I hear Maiden Coffee is a must, but I haven't tried it myself.

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
LOL. I got "lost" (confused) trying to see everything on their site because there's so much so I wasn't really sure what the difference was between the flavors with a recipe and those without.

I think I was right about the SWEET SPOT COFFEE needing more heat in the atty. I realized I'd been using (and killed, I think, for the first time) a V4L CoolCart with it. I filled a regular carto with it instead (not a WOW but probably similar - it used to be a prefilled carto from V2cigs, chocolate flavor) and now it seems to be working. I do like the flavor. I just think it could use a little more cream & sugar (I like a little coffee with my french vanilla creamer in the morning). Still, it's fine as is & I won't let it go to waste.

Since it's highly liked and recommended, I purchased Maiden Coffee. I also purchased two other flavors that I made. I'll put up a review and let you know how the Maiden Coffee is, and the other coffee that I made is (It's called Witch Brew hehe). :vapor:

cherewine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2010
Pacific Northwest USA
I have purchased over 50 different flavors from GV from their holiday sales and have loved every one! I have found that ALL must steep AT LEAST 2 weeks before their true flavors shine through tho. Also, the dark colored juices will definitely shorten the lifespan of a cartomizer. I can fill a fresh one up and vape it, but after topping it off a couple of times, the flavors die out and I end up tossing the carto. Dripping seems to work best with the dark juices, for me anyway.

Dee74

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2010
Tampa Bay,Fl
I ordered several in Dec and again in Jan. The Dec ones have steeped and my faves are RY4,All damn day, 420 ,London Blend all of these are a little sweet and mellow tobaccos. Good all day vapes, these were all VG @ 12and 6 mg.
Tobaccolishis is good as well not sweet but mellow. I am finding that even though they suggest double flavor on all Vg it is too much, even after steep I had to add VG. Have several more still steeping so will update when ready.

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
I also count Gourmet Vapors as one of my two favorite suppliers of juice, the other being Backwoods Brew. Some of the tobacco flavors from Gourmet are quite good, others kind of average. I have been experimenting with my own mixes there, and one of my successes was to virtually duplicate one of my favorite BWB juices, but I won't say which one. I'm not into fruity flavors, so I use mostly tobacco based mixes. I've been very pleased with nearly everything I've bought from GV.

My only complaint with GV is that some of the flavors seem a little weak if you don't order double flavor. And for some reason, the medium size bottles were only about 85% full on my recent orders. The 30ml bottles were full, but the 15 or whatever had at least 1/4" of air at the top.

I've seen a lot of people post about darker flavors or maple flavor killing cartos, and I'll have to concur. This explains to me why I've had to junk so many relatively new cartos with BWB Maple and GV's Dark Maple Latakia, both of which I love. I may have to start a washing routine for those cartos to see if I can extend their lives.

alisab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
WI
Just curious, is this Dekang juice? Have you tried any other vendor's versions of Whiskey?

No, it's not dekang juice. I picked up some straight whiskey flavored juice from value vapor and while it's nice independently it's better added toothier things. I really enjoy liquor flavors mixed into things - and I am mostly a tobacco juice woman. Sorry I didn't respond sooner - I didn't see your post. Hope you see this one!

Lauralie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2010
Here, there, everywhere!
i got gin and lime mix 80/20 double flavor.

Wow - that sounds good! I love Gourmet Vapors but I have to say I tried the Marlburro Red, Marlburro Light and I think Marlburro Menthol and did not like any of them. All the other 40+ I have tried - I LOVE THEM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread