Governor Schwarzenegger Protects Adult Consumers’ Access to E-Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timekey

Moved On
Jun 3, 2009
Timekey -

In case you missed it, as I commented in another thread towards a similar comment made:

If you don't believe in the ECA that's fine. Whether you believe the ECA participated or not is your own opinion. But we also shouldn't confuse our lack of knowledge for truth.

The fact I had to question whether the ECA was even interested in this bill proves it wasn't interested enough. I'm just glad the future of this technology in the US will not rest in the hands of the ECA ............that I can be sure of. I know you guys mean well but you're not making half the difference you could be.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
We gotta get this guy an e-cigar. :D

LOL! ...already sent it to the Governor's office today! My staff went nuts when they heard this and had one boxed before I came in. Unless it gets confiscated by stormtroopers, he should have it by Thursday. I sent it with all of our compliments and a link to the ECF. ;)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Speaking of headlines --- and atrocious press releases -- check out these words that follow. This is a miscarriage from the inaccurate headline to the editorial posing as a last paragraph in an "article". Dreadful beyond belief. Read this and understand why the mainstream press most often ignores PR posts on giveaway sites like 24/7, etc.

Governor Schwarzenegger Terminates E Cigarette Ban in California

The "Terminator" Still the Super Hero to Individual Freedom

COLLEYVILLE, TX, October 14, 2009 /24-7PressRelease/ -- According to a release on the State of California web site today, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has declined to sign Senate Bill 400. On September 11, 2009, the California Senate passed Bill 400. The bill was originally written as "The Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program", and then was amended to ban the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors, which was very supportable. Additional wording in the bill would have also banned the sale of electronic cigarettes in the state of California to adults.

In a statement on the California Government web site, Governor Schwarzenegger made it clear that there is a difference between the freedoms of adults and children. In the letter, the governor made the following comments.

"I am returning Senate Bill 400 without my signature. While I support restricting access of electronic cigarettes to children under the age of 18, I cannot sign a measure that also declares them a federally regulated drug when the matter is currently being decided through pending litigation. Items defined as "tobacco products" are legal for anyone over the age of 18. If adults want to purchase and consume these products with an understanding of the associated health risks, they should be able to do so unless and until federal law changes the legal status of these tobacco products.

For this reason, I am unable to sign this bill.

Sincerely,
Arnold Schwarzenegger"

Electronic cigarettes or E Cigarettes recently appeared and became increasingly popular as the wave of anti-smoking laws were enacted across the country. The E Cigarette is a futuristic advance in science that looks, feels, tastes like a tobacco cigarette and requires the same mechanical motions. They expel an almost odorless water vapor that looks like smoke, but isn't. It gives the user the full effect of smoking real tobacco without harsh tobacco smoke and without second hand smoke irritation or offending others. Thousands of smokers have made the switch to electronic cigarettes to escape the stigma of smoking as well as the health issues associated with tobacco.

"I think Governor Schwarzenegger made an intelligent decision" states Kyle Newton of eCigarettesChoice.com. California has always been on the leading edge of being a Green State and the electronic cigarette is a great alternative to tobacco. We can only hope that other states follow this example and examine the electronic cigarette as a harm reduction alternative over the hazardous tobacco cigarette. Besides tar and carbon monoxide, tobacco smoke contains approximately 4,000 different chemical, many of which are known be toxic to humans."

The electronic cigarette has come under attack by special interest groups who have yet to produce any scientific evidence that the electronic cigarette is harmful to humans, or that electronic cigarette dealers target youth with their products. If it is proven that the electronic cigarette can be a more effective smoking cessation device than the patches and gums, the companies who fund these groups will certainly see their stock plunge.

It appears that Governor Schwarzenegger did not buckle under the pressure of special interest groups to take away the freedom and individual rights from his voters

This is embarrassing for all e-smokers. Where's that throw-up smiley when I need it?

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Unfortunately, Bob, the mainstream press is guilty of some of the same actions as the writers of press releases. My husband and I often see editorials posing as news stories in the Washington Post.

And whoever is writing the headlines often works so hard at being clever that the content of the story is misrepresented.

Journalism isn't what it used to be.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
E-cigrarette tests urged by advocates; Governor refuses to sign ban - DailyBulletin.com

Mainstream article noting comments from the ECA press release.

What is also interesting is this quote from the Non-Smokers Rights Association:

"Despite the insufficient amount of testing, Tegen said the organization believes the electronic cigarette should not be considered as a substitute for smoking tobacco cigarettes and is concerned about the risks of inhaling second-hand smoke from the electronic version."

It is clear that the next educational campaign needs to be that the ecig does not create SMOKE but VAPOR. There is a difference between COMBUSTION and VAPORIZATION.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
As far as FDA involvement... anything we say or think is speculation at this point considering that there is pending litigation.

Would I like to think that the FDA would listen to the consumers who in fact are using this product, find it to be good, and maybe help the FDA be a little less aggressive in their regulatory ability, which they may or may not have eventually? Yes.

In the past, there have been examples where the FDA uses "morality" as a point for reasoning for or against something and they do take into consideration societal concerns. We can only hope that they do so for us. Even though they are funded in part by tax payer dollars, but mostly by those seeking application for regulation and approval, one would hope the consumer portion of that funding could have a say in something!

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
It is clear that the next educational campaign needs to be that the ecig does not create SMOKE but VAPOR. There is a difference between COMBUSTION and VAPORIZATION.

Excellent follow up punch Lacey. No heavy weight boxing match was won with a single blow. We may have lost a round or two in the beginning, but continuing to pound truth into their heads is the only way to win.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
LOL! ...already sent it to the Governor's office today! My staff went nuts when they heard this and had one boxed before I came in. Unless it gets confiscated by stormtroopers, he should have it by Thursday. I sent it with all of our compliments and a link to the ECF. ;)

Webby, did you get a thank you card or a letter back? I'm curious lol

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Webby, did you get a thank you card or a letter back? I'm curious lol

Actually I did get a nice letter back. It was stamped with the Governators sig, but the content was not so generic as to think it was purely a form letter. Let me find it and I'll scan it and upload a link.

To be honest it was pretty nice. Almost made me go rent T2 again. :cool:

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
Actually I did get a nice letter back. It was stamped with the Governators sig, but the content was not so generic as to think it was purely a form letter. Let me find it and I'll scan it and upload a link.

To be honest it was pretty nice. Almost made me go rent T2 again. :cool:

Ohhh I wanna see! post it asap :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread