GREAT article on the toxicity of nicotine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK
Attempting to commit suicide with E-Liquids: Witless!

Three cases… In one case the patient ingested 1500mg nicotine and thus more than 25 times the presumedly lethal dose of 30 to 60 mg. The only symptoms were nausea, abdominal pain, shivering and voluminous vomiting.

Regulation of ECigarettes should be done with a sensible and light touch. The proposed regulation of the EU goes to far. The EU might as well regulate selling household cleaners in bottles of max. 20 ml…. Or painkillers like “Paracetamol” in packages which contain a maximum up to two pills.

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
We have known for a while that the generally accepted lethal dose LD50 number of 0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg is basically made up, there no is science behind it. Nicotine 10 to 20 times less poisoness than it has been made out to be.

Well, we have but there's a lot of misinformation out there - I've even seen members of this forum that still think the LD50 of nicotine is 60mg. Nice to see more of this kind of reporting/blogging getting out there though :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
My first year at college one of my girlfriends roommates tried to commit Suicide right before Christmas by taking a handful of Barbiturates and washing them down with Peppermint Schnapps.

She didn't die. And people called it a Miracle that she didn't.

But shortly afterward she developed Sever Kidney and Liver Problems. She had to go on Dialysis. And the Doctors said it would be another Miracle if she could make it to 25 without a Transplant. She was 20 Years Old.

I'm not Disputing or Defending the LD50 level of Nicotine. But I know that Mortality is not the Only Measure of Harm that a Chemical can cause.

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
Wonderful link, Aegis. Thanks.

You're very welcome! Credit where it's due though, I get a lot of the stuff I post here from Clive Bate's Twitter feed here :)

I'm not Disputing or Defending the LD50 level of Nicotine. But I know that Mortality is not the Only Measure of Harm that a Chemical can cause.

Very true, but using science that's 150 years out of date to regulate e-cigarette nicotine levels when we all know that heavy smokers might need 2.4% strengths and up to successfully make the switch is Brussels bureaucracy at its best...

Last edited:

thekidzac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
My first year at college one of my girlfriends roommates tried to commit Suicide right before Christmas by taking a handful of Barbiturates and washing them down with Peppermint Schnapps.

She didn't die. And people called it a Miracle that she didn't.

But shortly afterward she developed Sever Kidney and Liver Problems. She had to go on Dialysis. And the Doctors said it would be another Miracle if she could make it to 25 without a Transplant. She was 20 Years Old.

This is a very good point. While i disagree the with media outlets and "research labs" misinforming the public, this is a very important aspect which a lot of people overlook.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV

That is true but it not a reason to let our opponents perpetuate the myth that nicotine is far more poisonous than it is. Using this number has consequences. For instance the EU is trying to limit the amount of nicotine in cartridges to 20mg. It would have been much harder for them if it was generally known that nicotine is at least 1/10 as poisonous as the currently accepted lethal dose.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You're very welcome! Credit where it's due though, I get a lot of the stuff I post here from Clive Bate's Twitter feed here :)

Very true, but using science that's 150 years out of date to regulate e-cigarette nicotine levels when we all know that heavy smokers might need 2.4% strengths and up to successfully make the switch is Brussels bureaucracy at its best...

Having seen the Evolution of the e-Cigarette Industry for awhile, I am somewhat Shocked that the OEM's and Retailers never really banded together to Combat some of the Mis/Dis-Information that is out there regarding e-Cigarettes/e-liquids.

This is a very good point. While i disagree the with media outlets and "research labs" misinforming the public, this is a very important aspect which a lot of people overlook.

Yeah... For some things, the Old Adage that, "Whatever Doesn't Kill Me Only Makes Me Stronger", doesn't apply.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That is true but it not a reason to let our opponents perpetuate the myth that nicotine is far more poisonous than it is. Using this number has consequences. For instance the EU is trying to limit the amount of nicotine in cartridges to 20mg. It would have been much harder for them if it was generally known that nicotine is at least 1/10 as poisonous as the currently accepted lethal dose.

Unfortunately, the Dynamics of the e-Cigarette Market are not so Scientifically Clear Cut.

Limiting Nicotine mg helps the Patch and Gum OEM's still have Market Share. And those OEM's have Big Money at stake.

Did you Expect a Politian to turn their back on a Pharmaceutical Company and their Soft Campaign Money just because e-Cigarette are Not as Harmful as they might be able to be Portrayed?

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Finally, it's addressed in public view!
I admit, it's been a touchy subject. Denying the foes a number to work with has seemed to be in our best interest. Which it has! It's pretty laughable at what the foes have come up with. As long as they think they're "right" we can easily prove otherwise in the Supreme Court.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
The facts of nicotine, when they are fully developed and understood one day, might well make it the most demonized substance in the history of man. A real brainwashing thought conditioning job has been done on the public. You cannot have a rational discussion of its properties with about a third of the population, in my (admittedly anecdotal, yet not necessarily irrelevant) experience.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Finally, it's addressed in public view!
I admit, it's been a touchy subject. Denying the foes a number to work with has seemed to be in our best interest. Which it has! It's pretty laughable at what the foes have come up with. As long as they think they're "right" we can easily prove otherwise in the Supreme Court.

I believe the role of the Supreme Court is to Determine the Constitutionality of a Law and or Practice.

But I could be wrong.

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I believe the role of the Supreme Court is to Determine the Constitutionality of a Law and or Practice.

But I could be wrong.

Indeed, you could be. You were partially correct, but that is not the limit of its power.

Wiki:
Supreme Court of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Supreme Court of the United States (first abbreviated as Scotus in 1879)[1] was established pursuant to Article III of the United States Constitution in 1789 as the highest federal court in the United States. It has ultimate (and largely discretionary) appellate jurisdiction over all federal courts and over state court cases involving issues of federal law, plus original jurisdiction over a small range of cases. In the legal system of the United States, the Supreme Court is the final interpreter of federal constitutional law, although it may only act within the context of a case in which it has jurisdiction.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Do you see the Role and or Jurisdiction of the Supreme Court to be extended to Resolving Disputes between Vapers and ANTZ regarding Nicotine Myths and Facts?

Because I don't.

So are we discussing the likelihood of that event?

Or...

What the Supreme Court's limits of jurisdiction are?

I will answer your question. First, this question may not be restricted to a dispute resolution between Vapers and Antz. The dispute between the Trade Association and the FDA during the 2009 seizure case was one step away from the Supreme Court. So it is not beyond the realm of possibility. Is it likely...probably not.

In any case, I think Uma was speaking metaphorically, at least that was my take on it. I was speaking about the real world limits of power.

There is no cause to get upset with me, I was just correcting what was said about SCOTUS. I thought I did so with reasonable courtesy.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So are we discussing the likelihood of that event?

Or...

What the Supreme Court's limits of jurisdiction are?

I will answer your question. First, this question may not be restricted to a dispute resolution between Vapers and Antz. The dispute between the Trade Association and the FDA during the 2009 seizure case was one step away from the Supreme Court. So it is not beyond the realm of possibility. Is it likely...probably not.

In any case, I think Uma was speaking metaphorically, at least that was my take on it. I was speaking about the real world limits of power.

There is no cause to get upset with me, I was just correcting what was said about SCOTUS. I thought I did so with reasonable courtesy.

I'm not Upset. Not in the Least.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Great find, AegisPrime! :thumbs:

And as to the oh-so-horrible dangers of the oh-so-horrible and oh-so-poisonous nicotine, take a look what the competition has to say. The FDA-approved competition, mind you:

Nicotine Myths | Nicorette

awwwwwww.......

Oh and as to nicotine being oh-so-poisonous and oh-so-dangerous, just take a look at their recommendation:

gums at 2 mg or 4 mg

recommended chewing 1st 2 weeks: 10 - 20 pieces a day
That makes 20 - 40 or 40 - 80 mg a day

NICORETTE® Gum | Relieves Cravings & Withdrawal Symptoms | NICORETTE®

Oh-so-poisonous nicotine? Bah Humbug!

And one little addition:
Post count in the ECF does not equal knowledge on the subject. *very friendly smile*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread