Great for Newbies on a budget and / or back-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbojar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Largo, Florida
This post is directed to recent converts but all feedback is welcome. If asked what type of battery to step up from cigalikes or just what I would recommend as a first-time eGo I would have to go with EGO-C Passthrough. Yes, I know it's no fun being tied to a wall after the upsetting news about the potential for harming boards and ports like said in this eGo-C Passthrough article, but if on a super-tight budget and having the option of just 1 battery, passhthrough or pass-through is definitely the best way to go. Sure a wall adapter may set you back a few bucks, but nowhere near another as much as 'decent' new battery. A good 1100mAh passthrough for instance will last a moderate vaper most if not all of a day, and if it runs out, just plug it in so you can continue vaping while charging if need be. I wish I had known about them when I started :blink:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I have been at this here vaping thing for well over 2 years, and have run the gamut from cigalike to mechanicals with RBAs. What did I end up with preferring? The eGo (both Joyetech and Smoktech) and particularly the passthrough models. I LOVE using passthrough batteries and have no issues at all being "tied down". When I use a passthrough, I'm either at my laptop, or near my Dash internet device (relaxing on the couch or in bed)...so I'm not moving around a whole lot and don't really notice the cord. The rest of the time I use the device as a battery. For me, it's ideal. My favorite mAh is 900 but I do have several 650s and one 1000 (which I find is a bit long, but certainly has good battery life!).

For the wall wort for a passthrough it's likely you'll require a 2 amp one, minimum. Especially if you are using an eGo C.

There are a couple of things I take slight umbrage to in the article link in the OP's post. The eGo C does NOT run 4.2v "constant voltage". When in the "unregulated" mode (orange light) it will run from 4.2 freshly charged on down to around 3.4 or 3.3v as the battery depletes. With the eGo C you have the option to use regulated voltage if you wish, and that runs at about 3.3v. In that mode there are lights on the power button that let you know how your battery is holding up. White is full charge, teal is about 70% and dark blue means you are around 20% and need to recharge quite soon. Since I use LR 2ohm atomizers (carto-tanks) the 3.3v in the regulated mode suits my vaping style very well. I dislike a "hot" vape, and prefer to enjoy flavor over searing heat. I use a menthol so I get plenty of "throat hit".

As for using the passthrough cord with a laptop or computer. If one was using sub ohm atomizers or very high voltage (like 4.2 regulated) I can see a possibility for a problem. But things have come a LONG way from a couple of years ago with passthrough batteries and the wild and sad tales of fried boards from 2011 and earlier are not really a factor anymore. If there is any damage from a passthrough to a computer...it's likely user error. Pushing too much power in an unsuitable USB port. If you are truly concerned, by all means use a wall wort....or simply avoid using the UNREGULATED mode with the passthrough. But in the 2 years I've used them...I've never had any problems with the Joyetech or Smoktech passthroughs being plugged into my laptop. Oh yeah..and BTW..the Smok eGos , both PT and regular battery, do run slightly higher regulated voltage than the Joye brand. I think around 3.6v. But not enough to be a true concern so long as you aren't pushing the ohms down below 1.5. Which..in my opinion...is totally unnecessary to do, and VERY bad for an eGo device anyway.

Bottom line: I LOVE the eGo type PVs, and the passthrough is ideal for someone who is at their laptop a great deal, or in a car a lot. Once a vaper gets the "shiney new fancy" obsession out of their system, the eGo passthrough might turn out to be that elusive "perfect vape" they've been looking for. It's possible! It turned out that way for me, anyway.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I have been at this here vaping thing for well over 2 years, and have run the gamut from cigalike to mechanicals with RBAs. What did I end up with preferring? The eGo (both Joyetech and Smoktech) and particularly the passthrough models.

There are a couple of things I take slight umbrage to in the article link in the OP's post. The eGo C does NOT run 4.2v "constant voltage". When in the "unregulated" mode (orange light) it will run from 4.2 freshly charged on down to around 3.4 or 3.3v as the battery depletes.

I too have sold most of my mods and stuck with eGo's. One can generate any 'useable' wattage with the right eGo and coil. All else is just bells and whistles (and costs). :)

Regarding the "constant 4.2V" on the passthrough in 'unregulated' mode, as long as you're hooked up, unless you're power vaping heavily, the battery stays at pretty much full power - so you are vaping at the top of the voltage range - 4.0-4.2V constantly. There are times when vaping, when you never see the red light. Take a few draws, lay it down, it charges to full, take a few drags, it charges, etc. where you never really get into the voltage curve associated with non-passthrough 3.7v unregulated batts. Take it off the charger, then yes, it goes through the normal curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread