Greetings and a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
Greetings all!

I was in the mall yesterday and there was an e-cigarette kiosk (smoking everywhere) giving demonstrations. This was the first time I had heard of e-cigs and of course I was intrigued.

After searching a bit online I found my way here. This seems to be a great place, and I've learned alot but I have a few questions.

Firstly, I have been a smoker of Camel Lights for over 20 years.....yuck. I have tried to quit many times....actually quit for over 2 years back in 2000....but I started again.

My subsequent attempts to quit have been awful, and I'm starting to really feel the health effects of smoking. The red lights are flashing, the alarm bells are ringing....it's way past time to quit. I'm fearful for my future.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering trying an e-cigarette.

From what I've read, it sounds like these devices are inconsistent in regards to build quality. Unfortunately I'm not made of money (I'm a musician) so experimenting with different brands is not a great option. I can try maybe 2 different types, but any more than that does not fit with my budget.

I am looking for advice on what type would be closest to my beloved/hated Camel Lights.

I think I want one that is about the size of a real cigarette (are these called minis?). Some of the e-cigs I have seen are a bit too large for my liking, but I am not ruling them out.

So basically to boil it down, I want to try something that is the size of a regular (analog?) ciggy, that tastes CLOSE to a Camel Light, and that is well built and won't break within the first 2 days.

Any suggestions would be great. I'd like to pull the trigger on this as soon as possible, but I also want to make an informed decision.

Thanks! :)

-Cal

Keef

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2008
Scotland
Well I started with a DSE 901 mini and I found it good to begin with.

If you are a heavy smoker then you really do need 2 kits .

I found I was going through 6 - 8 battery changes a day - 2 were always on charge and the other 2 in use.

What ever you buy I would not buy 2 completely different types to start with as it is handy to have compatable spares.

You could always just buy one kit and play with it for a few days see how you get on.

Mean time still smoke camels when you feel you need them.

I did not buy the e-cig to stop smoking , so no pressure in my case and I still had the odd cigarette to begin with, but within around 6 weeks I had stopped smoking.

Re the taste , there are not really any carts or liquid that are the same as a real cigarette.

I think it is best to find a flavour you enjoy and try forget about finding one identical to Camel.

Good luck.

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
Thanks for the replies....good solid advice.

Kate...I have been checking out the videos you recommended.....it is a great resource!

Keef, thanks for the tips. I have smoked a pack per day steadily for many years. Do you think this warrants 6-8 battery changes daily?

As far as the taste issue goes, I am fine with e-cigs not tasting exactly like the real thing. I think I am mostly addicted to the ACT of smoking, and the nicotine of course. So if I can find a pleasant e-cig that FEELS close to smoking the real thing I think I'd be satisfied. Plus, whatever flavor I go with I'm sure I'll get used to it after a couple days.

The real question is: Which "tobacco" flavor is closest to the real thing? (even though I know it won't be very close)
Does that even make sense?! lol

Thanks again!

-Cal

Tin Cup

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
NE Ohio
Welcome to the forum, Cal. I'm also new, just got my 1st e-cig in the mail today.

I also smoked Camel lights, 40 years of it, but cut back from 2 packs a day to about one over the last 5 years, mostly because of all the hassle. No place to smoke any more, especially at work.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry much about the flavor. Most everyone says that once you start vaping, your taste & smell come back to life and you really don't want the tobacco taste. It's the nicotine you're after.

My DSE901 came with Vanilla flavor, and it's not bad. Pretty close to tobacco, but a little better.

Also, it might be cheaper to buy all of the parts instead of getting a kit. You won't get the manuals, but you really don't need them. You might save a few bucks that way.

Good luck

ritalee76

ECF Veteran
The DSE 901 seems to be a popular choice for people new to e-cigarettes and those who have used them for quite a while. My first one was a Smoking Anywhere and although its broken (already), I really did like it. :)

As far as flavor goes, the "tobacco" flavors haven't really floated my boat.. The "riskee" juice from PureSmoker.com - Your #1 Source For ECigs, Parts, & Accessories! comes the closest (to me) to a cigarette... It doesn't really taste like one but it *feels* like one... Real smokes taste terrible to me now but the riskee is like smoking...

Puresmoker does have starter kits as well as sample flavor packs to give yourself an idea of what you do and don't like... Highly recommend that.

Got my first e-cig a coupla weeks ago... Didn't plan on quitting "real" ones but haven't touched one in a while and I'm not killing anyone :D

Good luck and have fun with it

Rita

MAD 69

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
NJ USA
You might want to start with a penstyle instead of a minicig, the batteries last longer and I believe you get a bigger, stronger hit off the penstyle. I only smoke the "tobacco flavors" Marlboro Med. by Janty, comes in carts and juice, 555 is also good as well as Johnson Creek Tennessee cured Tobacco flavor. There are a number of sellers that supply the tobacco flavor.

As was stated earlier, your not going to get an identical taste/feel of a real cig, but I also feel people who smoke Light cigs can benifit the most from ecigs.

Tristalec

Feb 13, 2009
Oklahoma
I bought a Midnight Blue 901 kit from e-smokeytreats(.com) and I got it in today. I have to say that it took a few puffs to get used to, but once I did get used to it and I like it a lot. It produces quite a bit of vapor and I really like the apple flavor it came with. It comes with 2 batteries and 2 atomizers and 10 cartridges in total. I am definitely not a veteran when it comes to e-smoking (I just started today!) but I would definitely recommend this kit to anyone, and I already have to quite a few of my friends.

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
Hey all,

I went with most people's advice and bought a 901 kit from e-smokey treats. I still want something that is close to the size of a regular cig, but if the 901 is a good beginner cig I'm ok with it being a bit larger.

It comes with 2 atomizers, 2 batteries, and 10 carts. I didn't get any extra juice or atomizers because I figured I should save my money until I decide if e-smoking is right for me.

I have had a somewhat tough time figuring out how long 2 atomizers and 10 carts will last me though....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Cal

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
>> figuring out how long 2 atomizers and 10 carts will last

It's a crapshoot Cal. :) If you like it, safe to presume you'll be placing another order within a week, at least for some more carts, a bottle of juice, one more atomizer. The big thing if it works for you is, don't let yourself run out of atomizers. Like you're a ciggie smoker and the nearest gas station is hours away. ;)

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Hey all,

I went with most people's advice and bought a 901 kit from e-smokey treats. I still want something that is close to the size of a regular cig, but if the 901 is a good beginner cig I'm ok with it being a bit larger.

It comes with 2 atomizers, 2 batteries, and 10 carts. I didn't get any extra juice or atomizers because I figured I should save my money until I decide if e-smoking is right for me.

I have had a somewhat tough time figuring out how long 2 atomizers and 10 carts will last me though....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Cal

Cal--welcome. You will burn right though those prefilled cartridges fast--that is for sure. As for the atomizers--they could last a month each or a week each. Point being if you really want to give e-cigs a shot, expect parts to fail and have back ups. While you hope that they last --an Atomizer for me is good for 3 weeks at best and some have failed in less then a week. As for the Cartridges--get some blanks and fill your own. Hope that helps and chime in if you need any advise--Happy Vaping--Sun:)

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
Cool....thanks for the replies.

If I like vaping, I will probably order a few supplies pretty soon.

As far as filling my own cartridges is concerned, you say to order a few blanks, but where do I find these, and are they sure to fit my 901b? To ensure they fit, do I have to order them from the place I bought the kit (esmokey treats), or can I shop around for the best deal?

I know that answers to all these questions can probably be found in other threads here, but after 3 days of almost constant reading here, my brain feels like it's going to melt!

Thanks again :)

-Cal

Keef

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2008
Scotland
Shop around for your bits.

Look for 901 or mini .

Dont buy anything for supermini or penstyle as they wont fit.

I top up my carts and I change them every 4 days approx, if you get some liquid the 10 pre-filled ones you have can be reused and topped up .
They would last me 40 days.

Others here get longer out of their carts and also take the filling out and wash it.

A lot depends also on how many flavours you are playing with, the stronger ones can be hard to get rid of not only from the carts but also they can hang about in the atomiser.

They may enhance the next liquid you try or totally ruin it.

puresmoker & Totally wicked both sell spares for the DSE901 and Liquid
Electric Cigarette & E Liquid - Totally Wicked Electronic Cigarette Fluid
PureSmoker.com - Your #1 Source For ECigs, Parts, & Accessories!

I am not in the US so dont know the other suppliers but I am sure there are a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread