Greg Conley was on C-Span's Washington Journal this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
The host was really trying to understand. At some point, I think we need to do a version of show and tell. For example, take a mod, a tank, a drip tip and say, a couple of different flavors of a line of e-juice, each at different mgs of nicotine. Most people don't understand why PMTAs will devastate most. They think e-cigs are all just all-in-ones and that an e-liquid is just an e-liquid. They think what's the big deal...just do a PMTA. They don't understand that it would require many millions for just one non-pod device and many, many for a company's line of juices. And then just point at the various items and say 1 million, 1 million, 1 million, etc.

Last edited:

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
LMAO at the caller at 11:50, Anne from Maryland. In short:"I worked at the NIH. It's the vapes and added chemicals in cigarettes that are killing you. God did not invent tobacco to kill us. Everyone should roll their own cigarettes, and watch a wolf in sheep's clothing about Saul Alinski, and thank god for Donald Trump!"

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

ThankU4Vaping

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2010
NJ
I was just checking to see if anyone had posted a link to Gregory Conley on C-Span's Washington Journal this morning. Thank You, Horselady! So good to see someone speaking out for us (nicotine) vapers. It was fun to watch the host and the guest keep a straight face with some of these callers.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
LMAO at the caller at 11:50, Anne from Maryland. In short:"I worked at the NIH. It's the vapes and added chemicals in cigarettes that are killing you. God did not invent tobacco to kill us. Everyone should roll their own cigarettes, and watch a wolf in sheep's clothing about Saul Alinski, and thank god for Donald Trump!"
Well, she's right that straight tobacco is far less harmful than with all the chemicals that big tobacco adds in the making of one of their cigarettes.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
People who do not vape are going to fall for the government/media's narrative of ... oh, we need to only allow closed systems, so that no bad people can add bad things to the liquid, like the black market did with THC. In my opinion, we need to get them to understand why would we trust big tobacco, who would be the only one left standing, to create our nicotine e-liquid, considering all the carcinogens they added to cigarettes, that have nothing to do with tobacco? I think they would understand that.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Well, she's right that straight tobacco is far less harmful than with all the chemicals that big tobacco adds in the making of one of their cigarettes.
I don't know about "far less harmful". The added chemicals don't help, but the most harmful constituent of cigarette smoke, by far, is the tar and carbon monoxide, which is present in any form of cigarette smoke. It's just not good to burn plant matter and inhale the smoke deep into your lungs. Oh, and it's not the vapes that kill you. :)

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
People who do not vape are going to fall for the government/media's narrative of ... oh, we need to only allow closed systems, so that no bad people can add bad things to the liquid, like the black market did with THC. In my opinion, we need to get them to understand why would we trust big tobacco, who would be the only one left standing, to create our nicotine e-liquid, considering all the carcinogens they added to cigarettes, that have nothing to do with tobacco? I think they would understand that.
If there were no taxes on cigarettes everybody would love ecigs and Gilbert and Han Lic would share the Nobel prize for medicine.

Greg Conley has had years, mostly under the radar, to perfect his message. Nobody on either side of the issue comes close. Hopefully the community and industry will be giving him more support.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
The host was really trying to understand. At some point, I think we need to do a version of show and tell. For example, take a mod, a tank, a drip tip and say, a couple of different flavors of a line of e-juice, each at different mgs of nicotine. Most people don't understand why PMTAs will devastate most. They think e-cigs are all just all-in-ones and that an e-liquid is just an e-liquid. They think what's the big deal...just do a PMTA. They don't understand that it would require many millions for just one non-pod device and many, many for a company's line of juices. And then just point at the various items and say 1 million, 1 million, 1 million, etc.
I mean this with the utmost respect to vaping and your (in a better world, good) idea about the “show and tell.”

It is my experience that once one removes the “mystery” away from how something works, the ignorance that leads to fear (to paraphrase Yoda) about the subject does seem to dissipate some. Heck, that’s how I got a lot of people I personally know to even try vaping (all smokers, of course).

But that’s it - these people were already smokers. They already had the habit. And even to a lot of them, at first, the whole “rig,” “setup,” buttons, coils, batteries, and then especially, the liquids, looked like “works” a la something a person with a more devastating habit would use. And therein lies a portion of the stigma, IMO.

And again, I agree with the premise of demystifying and therefore perhaps curbing the demonization of vaping in theory, but again, IMO, to a lot of people who have been so fortunate to avoid addiction in any form (said with my tongue firmly planted in the side of my cheek) it looks like drugs.

ETA: On the flip side of that, though, I do NOT believe vapers should roll over and succumb to that type of unreasonable fear. Eventually I do believe vaping will replace smoking altogether. It just will be a while.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
If there were no taxes on cigarettes everybody would love ecigs and Gilbert and Han Lic would share the Nobel prize for medicine.

Greg Conley has had years, mostly under the radar, to perfect his message. Nobody on either side of the issue comes close. Hopefully the community and industry will be giving him more support.
I wasn't criticizing him. I am the one who asked that same host last week when I called in to invite him.

vaping | C-SPAN.org

It would have been too early for Greg to do what I suggested. I was talking about at some point.

Last edited:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
CSPAN is great.

It's about as entertaining as a root canal, but if you can get past the lack of pizazz it's by far the best provider of information your government is perpitrating on its citizens.
An unfiltered view of what's happening in those hearings, etc. I totally agree.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I wasn't criticizing him. I am the one who asked that same host last week when I called in to invite him.

vaping | C-SPAN.org

It would have been too early for Greg to do what I suggested. I was talking about at some point.
Kudos to you. You made a convincing argument, and hit most of the major points, in a short amount of time.

Reactions: Baditude

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

vaping | C-SPAN.org

I was not intending to criticize you in any way. Conley earns his hero status for laboring in reletive obscurity for all these years and now his moment has come and we're lucky to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread