Griffin RTA Dry Hits/Slow Wicking Issues RESOLVED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSiKoTiC

Jan 21, 2015
Incoming wall of text, those interested in just a solution please goto the asterisks below for the solution

Hey folks, pretty new to the foras still .. I just thought I would post this to help others having same issues (I'm a novice rebuilder here.. can do alien claptons etc but still only mildly experienced) I've originally had massive issues with my Griffin RTA with not being able to 'catch up' with the wicking.. where I would wick it.. but if I was chain vaping it it would give me a semi burnt/dry hit taste.. so I would have to let it sit for awhile to wick properly.. I tried.. Shorter wicks .. just tucking the tips into the channels. I've probably rewicked the thing 50 times or more using various materials (I settled on Cotton Bacon v2, less if any break in and easy to work with.. is it unneeded for designed cotton.. yes.. but I use so little it's worth it for me.. organic cotton works just fine) Anyhow.. back on point.. I've tried and tried.. especially using lower ohm (higher wattage) builds with claptons, I found the wicking unable to keep up to my vaping.

Now this came to me watching a Pbusardo video on youtube, where he was talking about the top fill systems and turning the juice flow OFF before filling and why.. the system needs the vacuum to keep the Ejuice from flooding your deck (and your lap) .. and .. don't quote me here he showed like 3 tanks with top fill cap off with juice closed sitting for like .. was a couple hours or over night on some paper towel.. the tanks were pretty much empty and of course there was a mess everywhere.. got me thinking.

Have you noticed when you vape those 'air bubbles' that you can see around/in the holes where the juice travels from your tank into your deck/channels? I've heard others 'complaining' on various threads where the glass on the tank wouldn't let the air bubbles escape and worried about it effecting the wicking (which I suppose it would) .. regardless the issue with the tank seems to be the vacuum created after rescrewing/resealing the top fill cap on the tank creates a vacuum after just a few vapes.. and especially on maxvg juices the air bubbles are noticeable lurking just inside those holes in the chimney feeding to the tank.
It turns out .. it was a wicking issue.. but little to do with the actual wicking I was doing in the Griffin RTA tank, but the vacuum is too great (I usually screwed that top cap on till it was snug/firm) Folks, try unscrewing the top cap so it just seals (otherwise you will flood and it will be a mess) don't crank the sucker all the way tight,, if you have a griffin rta .. turn the top fill cap and loosen it just a little bit. you will see a ton of air bubbles displace and actual juice getting to the juice channels, not just filled with air.

So to wrap it up for those who don't want the wall of text and only read this:
Loosen your top fill cap so it 'just' seals. Don't tighten it. even with mildly shoddy wicking.. I've been running dual alien claptons on this, over 80 watts chain vaping with ZERO dry hits. and double the flavor, no leaking. It's not a wicking issue, it's an issue with tank design where air pockets form in the juice channels and your wicking is unable to get juice into them because the vacuum created in the tank is too great.
Seriously .. try this .. give me your feed back, I've been wrestling with this tank for awhile almost resigning it to unable to keep up sufficiently the wicking because maybe the juice channels were too small .. or something of the like.. NOT the case.. please give it a shot.. let me know your results folks.

Greetings from Canada :)

Reactions: spalife

RAWRferal

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2015
London
Incoming wall of text, those interested in just a solution please goto the asterisks below for the solution

Hey folks, pretty new to the foras still .. I just thought I would post this to help others having same issues (I'm a novice rebuilder here.. can do alien claptons etc but still only mildly experienced) I've originally had massive issues with my Griffin RTA with not being able to 'catch up' with the wicking.. where I would wick it.. but if I was chain vaping it it would give me a semi burnt/dry hit taste.. so I would have to let it sit for awhile to wick properly.. I tried.. Shorter wicks .. just tucking the tips into the channels. I've probably rewicked the thing 50 times or more using various materials (I settled on Cotton Bacon v2, less if any break in and easy to work with.. is it unneeded for designed cotton.. yes.. but I use so little it's worth it for me.. organic cotton works just fine) Anyhow.. back on point.. I've tried and tried.. especially using lower ohm (higher wattage) builds with claptons, I found the wicking unable to keep up to my vaping.

Now this came to me watching a Pbusardo video on youtube, where he was talking about the top fill systems and turning the juice flow OFF before filling and why.. the system needs the vacuum to keep the Ejuice from flooding your deck (and your lap) .. and .. don't quote me here he showed like 3 tanks with top fill cap off with juice closed sitting for like .. was a couple hours or over night on some paper towel.. the tanks were pretty much empty and of course there was a mess everywhere.. got me thinking.

Have you noticed when you vape those 'air bubbles' that you can see around/in the holes where the juice travels from your tank into your deck/channels? I've heard others 'complaining' on various threads where the glass on the tank wouldn't let the air bubbles escape and worried about it effecting the wicking (which I suppose it would) .. regardless the issue with the tank seems to be the vacuum created after rescrewing/resealing the top fill cap on the tank creates a vacuum after just a few vapes.. and especially on maxvg juices the air bubbles are noticeable lurking just inside those holes in the chimney feeding to the tank.
It turns out .. it was a wicking issue.. but little to do with the actual wicking I was doing in the Griffin RTA tank, but the vacuum is too great (I usually screwed that top cap on till it was snug/firm) Folks, try unscrewing the top cap so it just seals (otherwise you will flood and it will be a mess) don't crank the sucker all the way tight,, if you have a griffin rta .. turn the top fill cap and loosen it just a little bit. you will see a ton of air bubbles displace and actual juice getting to the juice channels, not just filled with air.

So to wrap it up for those who don't want the wall of text and only read this:
Loosen your top fill cap so it 'just' seals. Don't tighten it. even with mildly shoddy wicking.. I've been running dual alien claptons on this, over 80 watts chain vaping with ZERO dry hits. and double the flavor, no leaking. It's not a wicking issue, it's an issue with tank design where air pockets form in the juice channels and your wicking is unable to get juice into them because the vacuum created in the tank is too great.
Seriously .. try this .. give me your feed back, I've been wrestling with this tank for awhile almost resigning it to unable to keep up sufficiently the wicking because maybe the juice channels were too small .. or something of the like.. NOT the case.. please give it a shot.. let me know your results folks.

Greetings from Canada :)
Not sure about yours but if I tighten mine all the way, the geek vape text on the top cap doesn't align with the griffin logo on the chimney section, so I always had it slightly "loosened" anyway and have never had any wicking issues, coincidence? Lol.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
I don't tighten mine all the way because sometimes the chimney top comes off when I goto refill.

I actually just tighten until my juice flow spins, and thats about perfect for me. Just hold the drip trip, spin and once my juice flow control spins with the top its tight enough, you can see a bit of the oring on the top fill cap but i don't really care

Tried this for a day but it still wasn't right so here is what I found.

I've had the Griffin RTA for a couple of weeks now (my 1st RTA) and have been struggling with wicking problems, i.e. dry hits. Browsing the web I keep finding the statement 'dry hits are a wicking problem'. So with those overly helpful statement I keep working on the problem (btw, a correct statement is not always a helpful statement). I think I found my problem … the amount of cotton in the juice channel was blocking the transfer of air into the tank, creating a vapor lock. It wasn't the length of cotton but the volume. The length is still just tucked inside the ring but I trimmed back/thinned out the amount that is tucking in by 10% to 15% and now no dry hits. The first bubble that raising up now has a little vapor in it. This tells me that air is now being transferred from inside the camber into the tank, both juice and air are flowing. After I thought about it it makes sense, the air in the top of the sealed tank needs to come from someplace and that someplace is where the juice meets the air, at the top of the juice channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread