Status
Not open for further replies.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Here is what I did to help me grip the switch. Its not pretty but it works very well. You actually do not need to put as many strips as I did to make it work but I wanted to be thorough. N8t also has something in the works to help us with greasy hands so I am sure that his solution will be much nicer but until then, this works for me. The tape on the backside is not really necessary but it makes it even easier to get a grip. Thanks

DSC01304.jpg DSC01303.jpg DSC01305.jpg

Sewknitty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2010
NY
shesaquitter.wordpress.com
Ata, you're a genius! So...you cut strips and put them in the grooves? And this doesn't hinder the slip-slide at all? And it LOOKS cool too!

I tried nail decals yesterday - raised ones - and they worked well for awhile but, ultimately, started to move around, probably due to the pressure and heat from my fingers. I'm using athletic tape today. My aim was to cut it in a flower shape for the back and the slide but somebody hid the scissors. I like your idea even better!

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Ata, you're a genius! So...you cut strips and put them in the grooves? And this doesn't hinder the slip-slide at all? And it LOOKS cool too!

I tried nail decals yesterday - raised ones - and they worked well for awhile but, ultimately, started to move around, probably due to the pressure and heat from my fingers. I'm using athletic tape today. My aim was to cut it in a flower shape for the back and the slide but somebody hid the scissors. I like your idea even better!

The first tape I tried did hinder the switch but that was the clear colored grip tape, the black is not as thick so it does not stop the sliding of the switch at all as long as you keep it in the grooves. I am sure this will start to move eventually but it has been working pretty good for a couple days.

Thank you, ata, so much. I think I'll go over to the Big 5 store tomorrow and see if I can buy some of that tape there until Nate's fix is done.

Before I do this - does that tape come off easily without messing up the finish on the switch?

I have tried a buch of different locations fgor the tape and yes the tape and residue came right off.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
So a quick update, I am having the tape move around a bit after a couple days but I might be able to use a stronger adhesive or just redo a couple of the strips as needed. I am glad that n8t is coming up with something because I am sure redoing this will get old and I am not sure about using certain types of adhesives because I do not want to ruin the plating by trying to remove the residue with goof off or similar. Thanks for the compliments guys, I am still gonna try some other things and will keep you updated.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Gotta try that, my umax has been benched for a week now because I can't run the switch with oily mechanic hands.

I think this would be a pretty good temporary solution but I would guess that with oil the glue would not hold for all that long that is why i want to try something a little stronger than what comes on the actual grip tape. While it stays put though its almost the texture of sandpaper and I really think you would be able to slide that switch even if your fingers wwere covered in grease, at least for a while.

Flebo

Nov 20, 2009
Teflon tape? Another option I didn't think of. Thought it would un-wind and hang up though.

It doesn't unwind and hang up, but it just doesn't last very long. I'm actually having luck without the tape after I wiped down the outer battery tube with some nonflammable anticorrosive/lubricant spray. Just have to wait until my hands start to sweat to see if that does the trick.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Thought I had some in my toolbox someplace, but I've been using that teflon paste for years now on fittings. Sad that I don't even have one roll left after all this time.

I always find a roll of it when i dont need it and when i need it, it is nowhere to be found!

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Trying to find a cheap alternative, don't want to spend anymore money then I already have. Been a month now since my initial order and it still just kinda sits there.

If you do not care about the finish, you could always take some gritty sandpaper to the inner sleeve but the resale value might be gone. Just a thought.

kcblack3

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2011
Olathe, KS USA
www.bigdaddyvapor.com
Trying to find a cheap alternative, don't want to spend anymore money then I already have. Been a month now since my initial order and it still just kinda sits there.

Hey Stownz, I just got my ultramax yesterday and have the same issue as you. I am just using a small strip of athletic tape (the kind they tape your ankles with in football) on the tube and it works great. Hope N8T has a good solution for this but in the mean time the tape works fine....just doesn't look as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread