Gum Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

falling

Dec 10, 2008
Cork, Ireland
My dentist is blaming the Periodontitis I've been suffering from for a year or so on my smoking.

I started vaping recently, but I'm still smoking roll-ups as well. My gums have been getting a lot worse since, but that might be due to other contributing factors (such as stress).

I've been wondering if it's the nicotine (higher concentration from vaping as opposed to smoking?) or the actual smoke in cigarettes that affects the circulation in our gums? I really can't afford to aggravate this problem and am unsure if I'm doing the right thing by aiming to reduce analogues by vaping? Should I also get lower nicotine juice for my e-cigs?

Anyone out there experienced similar problems?

allyoop451

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
I work in a dentist office, and yes smoking can cause gum disease. The nicotine is the culprit. I have been a smoker for 40 yrs, and have just recently started vaping. I have dry mouth, before I started vaping, and now that I am off analogs, I still have dry mouth. I have also had some recession of my gums due to so many yrs of smoking. Reducing the nicotine is the best thing to do!

falling

Dec 10, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Thanks, Ally, that's what I suspected all along. All the more reason to try and get away from nicotine dependency.

I also had the dry mouth when I started vaping. Drinking copious amounts of water is the only answer. This also helps at the beginning of a slight headache and/or sore throat (other possible side effects when you start vaping).

It seems that vaping dehydrates you more than smoking analogues. Anyway, in my opinion, most of our minor aches and pains can be cured with water

allyoop451

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
yes....anything with nicotine in it. It constricts the blood vessels. There is no avoiding it as long as you are ingesting nicotine it will effect your gums. Keep your mouth hydrated as much as possible, and brush and floss at least twice a day, more if possible. There are products out there that can be used for dry mouth, but I have used a few, and it only helps if its used continuously, and who has the time for that! Sprays, rinses, etc. Best bet is to work your way down to 0 Nic. I'm am on the med. right now, next is the low......

falling

Dec 10, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I can't really imagine that the patches would affect your gums, as there is no direct contact between nicotine and the inside of your mouth. Also the patches contain only low doses of nicotine, I suppose.

For my part, I'll try and lower the nicotine strength before doing anything as drastic as zero nicotine. Don't have the strength or willpower to go cold turkey.

EDIT:
Just saw your post, allyoop, and it makes sense what you say. You're the expert after all. We seem to have no choice so, but at least we'll still be puffing away, albeit on 0 Nic.

Last edited:

allyoop451

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
I have to disagree with him Starlight, at our office, I watch the Casey program that runs continuously on our tv screens for our patients to gather info from, and it informs them about the risks of perio problems and bone loss from smoking. Google nicotine/gum disease, and see what it brings up. I know for a fact because I have watched my own gums and bone receed from 40 yrs of smoking, and I work in the dental field, and take pretty good care of my mouth. It's sad to see people lose their teeth when there isn't any decay.

falling

Dec 10, 2008
Cork, Ireland
One of my incisors was loose and abcessed last year. Couldn't afford to go to the dentist at the time and, in my despair, googled the problem. That's when I came across a process called "oil pulling", which is supposed to cure all kinds of diseases and problem. I had some organic cold-pressed sunflower oil at home and decided to give it a try. After only two days, the abcess was gone and my tooth was firmly back in place. Unfortunately I didn't keep it up when my acute problem was solved, but maybe I should take it up again.

There are also herbal remedies for improved circulation / blood flow, such as garlic, parsley, ginger, turmeric and gingko bilboa.

I would try anything before having to give up my beloved nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread