The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Gummed up battery cleaning question

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by spookyelectric, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Full Member

May 30, 2012
    Texas
    I couldn't a battery specific forum, but I was wondering if anyone had success cleaning a gummed up auto battery. I suppose some liquid has gotten down into two of my auto batteries. It's not a major problem yet but sometimes when I take a hard drag, the switch gets stuck "on" until it times out. I guess this a good argument for going to a button style, but I do enjoy vaping hands free.

So, aside from trying to clean it out with a toothpick like apparatus which isn't really helping, is there a way to drip in some alcohol or some other solvent that won't completely kill the battery? Apologies if a thread already exists.

2. wv2win

wv2win ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2009
    GA by way of WV
    You could have titled this thread: Why not to use auto batteries.

From my early days before they came up with manual batteries, once a battery was fouled up with eliquid, there was nothing you could do to get it back to working properly. Some people use to pour some PGA in the hole to try and clear up the gunk, but ususally just killed it for good.

3. mooreted

mooreted Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 10, 2011
    California
    Unfortunately, once you get any kind of liquid down as far as the switch, you're pretty much screwed. That's why no one uses unsealed batteries for very long. I suppose you could try some 90% isopropyl alcohol and let it dry thoroughly. Don't use regular rubbing alcohol because it has too much water in it.

4. spider362

spider362 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    You could also try some Electronic Contact Cleaner. You can get that from electronic supply stores like Radio Shack.
    It comes in a spray can and evaporates completely and leaves no residue.

5. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Full Member

May 30, 2012
    Texas
    I found somewhat of a solution. I have a stash of rubber tipped dental picks that I used to clean out the middle hole of my cartomizers. I bent the tip of one and got some of the liquid out of my precious blue battery. Hopefully this will help out. Also, thanks for the replies, guys.

6. mooreted

mooreted Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 10, 2011
    California
    No problem, good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.