The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Gunky?, Sticky iStick 30 Connector pin cleaning?

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by OcalaFlGuy, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 4, 2015
    Ocala, Fl
    It only connects with the tank if I lift it up with a jewelers screwdriver, then of course, it's fine, at least until the next tank switchover.

I suspect it's totally gunked up with juice droplets over the past year plus.

How can I clean it out without shorting out the iStick? Sopping wet with alcohol Qtip? Turn unit off first? Cleanng won't help??

WOTL what say ye?
    Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• Like Like x 1
  2. 93gc40

93gc40 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2014
    California
    Use an atomizer that doesn't push the mods 510 in so much.....or use an orings between the mod and atomizer to create a spacer to prevent over tightening....

Qtip with alcohol once a week or so is all you should need....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I spray Contact Cleaner in there and my usb ports. Dries quicker. Back when we had no spring posts, I would only screw my atty down until it registered and stopped there.

My 30 seemed to have more issues than the 40 or 20 even.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    These 510 pins should be sealed so no juice gets inside of the mod. It's more likely that the pin is just old due to use and has lost its ability to be springy....

:)

eta. It is always a good idea to take care of your vaping gear. They will last so much longer that way. Everytime I remove a tank, I clean both the 510 connect with a q-tip to remove juice and that black soot that is created when the tank is fired. I also clean the 510 connection on the tank. Good practice to get into.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    A Q-Tip and some 91% Rubbing Alcohol is pretty much my Go To 510 cleaning tech.

And yeah... I would Definitely Turn the Mod Off if it has a Built in Battery like iStick. Or take the Battery Out if it is a Removable Battery Mod.

BTW - Contact Cleaner can work Wonders. But it can also "Frost" some Plastics/Degrade some "Rubber". And if you use that Tiny Red Straw when you spray it, it is easy at times to get some Blow Back.

So I would Recommend wearing some type of Eye Protection when using it. Even just el Cheapo sun glasses.

• Like Like x 4
  6. stols001

stols001 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2017
    I find that a pin only stays depressed (usually) if it's gunky. Well I have one mod that isn't reading anything at the moment because I dropped it and it split with a bit of the 510 in it, and sat for a while. I'm still sort of attacking that one, but doing that is a bit "special."

Otherwise I just remove gunk with a q tip and rubbing alcohol, it usually removes the need to try and lift it up with a screwdriver, which can sort of be hard on the pin, so you want so sort of avoid it.

As to my particular other tank, I'm getting fairly close to just handing it to the husband. LOL.

Good luck,

Anna

7. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I have a habit of inspecting and periodically cleaning my 510 pins. Most, if not all of the dirt that gets into 510 connections gets pushed down further when we install an atty. Junk on the male threads comes off on the 510 threads and the next removal and replacement pushes that further in. Cleaning with a paper towel wet with alcohol makes the threads shine and the gunk comes out on the towel. I also agree with Stols' Q-tip method.

Alcohol evaporates after cleaning. Some other cleaners may leave oily residue. Of course, there will always be more gunk accumulation over time, so frequent cleaning makes them work better and reduces accumulation, IMO.

It's just something I do frequently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

If you don't have contact cleaner spray it with isopropyl alcohol. Let dry and repeat if necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

And so you should. Me, I take a Qtip, dip it into alcohol and clean the outside. If it seeps inside the mod is mostly toast. The Provari used to whitstand the spraying of isopropyl alcohol, do it also over the fire and up and down buttons. Let dry thoroughly, 1 week if possible.

• Like Like x 1
  10. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    To fix it , or is he happily vaping now?

• Like Like x 1
  11. stols001

stols001 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2017
    Hahahahahah. Nope. He occasionally vapes, but mainly he's smoking. I did tell him he "stunk" the other day, but that was mostly out of surprise, like, normally tobacco doesn't smell that bad to me. To be fair, well his neck is a gigantic mess ATM and I think a lot of the stuff BESIDES nicotine in tobacco is also relaxing and painkilling and well, nic is pretty potent painkiller too.

I've been at him to try snus, coz honestly I think that would suit him better he refuses to vape enough nic or high enough nic/WTA to really make it work. He has a super weak stomach, so if I ever even get him to try a SMALL piece, like, he'll probably vomit or whatnot.

I am trying to come to grips with the fact that he might ACTUALLY die before me (I mean, he's 10 years older) especially as I get all healthy and whatnot, but what can I do? At least my new job will allow me to insure him enough to pay for his funeral, man, because if there's anything more stressful than your loved one dying, well it's probably having to do it through a pauper's grave and whatnot.

I'm seriously worried about him but he refuses to address the neck thing until we have decent insurance which is also why I am PRAYING for this job, it has Cigna. I could also insure my kid for a mere 20 dollars more a month as a family compared to spouse plus employee. I am really praying for like, that job to happen. It could solve a lot of problems.

So yeah, to fix it. IDK what on earth is happening with the whole "vape it" thing but not very much.

I'm in the long game though, I mean it took me 7 years of dilatant vaping to finally stop. Also the husband started smoking at some ungodly age like 8 or 10. I was 18 and to be fair not a very rational 18 but age 8 seems like, super hard to combat, in a way.

If he's in the hospital for his neck at some point, immobilized well maybe I can addict him to snus THEN. IDK.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.