Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Gus ESTIA ~ A Tri-Coil Powerhouse
flower-001.gif

---------------
PICTORIAL
---------------
2uh63gw.jpg

It took many months in the making. A dream project by GUS, which was conceptualized early 2013, but not released immediately (in fact not as yet - as I write) and went into systematic testing (including field trials) before it releases next week! I am one of the lucky few involved with this project and now that it has passed the Prototype phase I am happy to introduce you this amazing device ~ The Gus-ESTIA!

acvcz5.jpg

What is it?
————————————————————————————
A bottom fed RBA. A SRTA (Silica based Rebuildable tank Atomizer), which is designed for “tri-Coil” setups. If you are into Kayfuns and Aqua (and you should be!) - you'd be thrilled with the ESTIA. It is basically a mix of both. At point blank, this RBA is highly inspired by the Aqua's format, but isn't the same. It has bettered that concept. Added performance enhancements, more girth & tank real estate, better air-flow system and looks different with an industrial facade, which is in-line with everything Gus.

x2kzsp.jpg

zv6ivr.jpg

atwx76.jpg

KEY FEATURES
1. Designed for Three Coils (can also be setup as Single or Dual Coils)
2. And in such cases the non-utilized air-holes can be plugged (screws provided)
3. Phillips Screws on posts
4. Multiple Air-channels around the base (qty-4)
5. Air-flow Control (AFC)
6. Juice Control
7. There are two Tank options:
Slim Tank (v23) : comes as stock
Fatty Tank (v25) : optional purchase​
8. Telescopic Post under the base (for adjusting against battery rattle, if required)
9. Telescopic Post is embedded with Fuse* (similar to the Gus mods)
10. Hybridized Base with M20/1 threads (not a 510 post)º

and83c.jpg

Estia Tanks (v23, Normal tank and v25, Fatty tank)

2aj0u9z.jpg

2gwi3j8.jpg

Built & Materials
Essentially made of Stainless Steel (Food Grade SS-304), except the Telescopic Positive Pin (which is brass and outside the body) ~ the ESTIA looks like a "mean machine" feels robust, strong and heavy (tho in comparison it is lighter than the K'fun Lite). At 40mm length it is also 11mm shorter than the K'fun Lite (which is 51mm)

There is a 'fuse' at it's base, the POS which connects into the mod and makes contact with the battery. The fuse is rated 12A and thus can safely handle extreme Sub-Ohm builds till 0.3Ω. And as usual, this 'fused post' can be replaced with any POS Pin from any other mod (most would fit, if not all).

2i1cm08.jpg

2z3q7gj.jpg

rv8tft.jpg

DIMENSIONS:
1. Outer Diameter/s:
Base = 22mm
Slim Tank (v23) = 22.8mm
Fatty Tank (v25) = 24.8mm​
2. Visible Height: 40mm (without driptip)
3. Juice Capacity:
Tank v23 = 2.5ml approx
Tank v25 = 5.0ml approx​
4. Weight: 55 grams

zkg113.jpg

14w50g6.jpg

Detailing & Finish
In the looks dept this is a stunner. Yes, it is subjective, but I find the grooves all around the circumference of the top-cap, the angular slot-cuts on the drip-tip connector, the slightly obese tank section and the overtly visible air-holes (4 in the bottom and 2 on the top of the tank tube) very attractive. Like I stated before, the overall theme is very Gus like, the same industrial design concept as is evident on all Gus products. If you like the detailing of Gus mods ~ you'll like the ESTIA too.

The ESTIA comes in two finishes. Mirror Polished (like in my pics) and Matte. The buyer has a choice on selecting either while purchasing. At the same time one can also opt to purchase the 'fatty' tank (v25, details above) at an additional cost. The ESTIA comes stock with the 'slim' tank (v23).

2dt3iab.jpg

Imp Tip: After disassembly apply a bit of Vaseline on all O-rings before reassembling.

INTERNALS:
This is my favourite area of the ESTIA One look and you'd know that this atty means business. Tho it looks overwhelming at first glance - but let me assure you that this is one of the easiest 'advanced' attys to build. What with all that deck space! The amazing POS Centre Post! A design ingenuity indeed!

That "crowned" top of the Centre Post is actually there to "trap" multiple wires. So, all our Coil ends can be easily placed there (make a "U" between two of the cuts) without tightening the screw every time you place one coil. And there's no messing between coil tail connections. This is a whiz kid innovation!

24mcity.jpg

szzk1h.jpg

27zsdf.jpg

2a5zv4h.jpg

2s1pudu.jpg

Setting Up the ESTIA
Hereunder I show one of my setups, which utilizes all the terminals of the ESTIA. This is with three Microcoils fed with Cotton. I've tried all the possible builds on it, single, duals, S'n'C Yarn, Silica, Ekowool etc. Everything works perfectly and churns out the plumes. Here's one of my builds.
Estia 0.3Ω Tri-Micro Setup
surprised-024.gif

———————
CAUTION: Extremely Dangerous. Do not attempt this build if you are not an advanced vaper.
———————

Estia cleaned thru a soap water bath:
2jenrsn.jpg

Microcoils prepared:
orkle8.jpg

28AWG Kanthal, 6/7 wraps over a toothpick each, 1.2Ω each coil.

Microcoils Mounted and Trimmed:
5nw3zb.jpg

Setup Resistance Checked:
2wq4vmb.jpg

Final reading minus Base Reading equals 0.3Ω

Test Fired:
3x3m1.jpg

Cotton Yarn Wicks:
3179pnl.jpg

Important: S’n’C Cotton Yarn must be boiled for 20 mins or more before using. Pls see my pictorial on its preparation >Here<

Cotton Ball Wicks:
It is not necessary to use S’n’C Yarn. Even our regular Organic Cotton Ball wicks work fine
surprised-016.gif

4t81ma.jpg

Sizing up the Wicks before / for Trimming:
znsqdf.jpg

Cutting the Wicks to size:
s5wr5c.jpg

Saturating the Wicks:
2yko003.jpg

Vapor Check:
296gmx1.jpg

Assembly, Chimney and Tank:
2v309sp.jpg

x6bnm1.jpg

Note: It's all O-ring fit, nothing to screw anywhere. Just place one over the other and press gently. Remember, like I said before, to apply Vaseline on the O-rings. Else it'd be a Pita to assemble & disassemble.

How to Fill the ESTIA Tank:
28s8tty.jpg

The process is exactly like the Aqua:

Close Air-holes > Close Juice Feed (if opened) > Remove top cap > Fill Juice > Attach top cap, but don't press it in fully > Inverse the Estia (drip tip facing the floor) > open the Air-holes > Now Press Fit the top cap > Let it remain in this position for a few seconds > Then get it upright and it's now ready to vape.

VAPE EXPERIENCE

First Draw
2ewdy5w.jpg

Second Draw
dq4ys8.jpg

Final Thoughts
I have used many attys (listed in my signature) and swear by my Kayfuns and the Aqua. However, the ESTIA steps up the game and challenges both with a splendid VTF*. Obviously tri-coils will go with a bang ~ and the fact that this RBA is designed for the same - makes it a "game changer". And this is not a RDA (dripper), which tho known to give the best out of our juices, are a PITA when out-n-about. This is a "tanked" RBA which gives the "same" vape satisfaction of a tri-coiled Dripper, without the botheration of carrying a juice-bottle!

Around many tanks thru I'm yet to get any hints of over-wicking or under-wicking. It seems to handle any build with ease. And given the deck space, with enough room around the terminal posts and a unique post design at its positive end - this is one of the easiest advanced attys to build as well. On a scale of 1-10, where 10 being the best, I will rate it as: Vapor Production = 10/10, Throat Hit = 8/10, Flavor = 9/10. This is a "Killer Atty"
surprised-040.gif

*Vapor, Throat Hit and Flavor

Estia, Mail Day
2hmzvav.jpg

CONCLUSION
There are many nice gears coming out of Greece since vaping gathered some steam. The ESTIA is one such Hellenic product. A quality device - built to perform. The attention to detail is visible in every aspect of this RBA. It feels right at hand and works like a dream. Yes, it takes hints from the Aqua - but unlike the Russian/s it is not a direct take on the Kayfun/s - it demonstrates its own elements and gets superlatively stronger, nicer and richer in design, construction and performance. Vaping this device is an experience by itself.

Three cheers to Gus Mods for creating this Superb RBA

---------------------------------------------------------
CAUTION: This being a sub-Ohm build it is intended for "advanced users"; and definitely NOT RECOMMENDED for new vapers. It is also to be noted that all batteries cannot handle continuos excessive discharge. For sub-Ohming you must use a battery rated 10C or above, higher the better. I'm firing this build with a Sony 30A 18650 and the likes.

ESTIA Available at: www.gus-mod.gr/estia

Last edited by a moderator:

mattrhdr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Toronto
.......n... its just as expensive as the gud lord telescopic engraved mod... Ill stick with my heron, fogger and origen for my gus lord, and i rarely even use dual coils so theres no way i would use 3 coils. and since i don't use cotton or micro coils i could see this being a pain to use with silica and regular coils. But nice review and nice atomizer. :thumb:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Gus ESTIA : Microcoil & Cotton Build PICTORIAL
My Kinda Vape !

Disassembly and Cleaning:

Layout for Work:

Microcoils Prepared:

NOTE: 28AWG Kanthal, 11 Wraps on each Toothpick

First Coil Installed:

NOTE: Lower Wire goes into the Negative Post, Higher Wire into the Positive Centre Post

Microcoil Metered:

1. DMM Zeroing (Internal Resistance Reading):

2. Coil Resistance reading:

NOTE: The coil thus works out to be of 1.5Ω

Second Coil Installed:

Third Microcoil Installed:

Tail-ends Trimmed:

Coil Setup Metered:

NOTE: Since the 'zero' reading was 0.7Ω, the Final Resistance of the Build is 0.7Ω

Coils Test Fired:

Final Positioning of the Coils:

Preparation of the Wicks:

1. Amount of Cotton:

2. Rolling into a wick:

First Wick Inserted:

Second Wick Inserted:

Third wick Inserted:

Wicks Trimmed:

Size of the Wick Tails:

Tuck the Wick Tails into the Juice Channels:

The Look: All tucked-in

Wicks Juiced up:

Final Look of the juiced Deck:

Build Vapourizing:

Assembling the ESTIA:

NOTE: Except the Chimney, everything else is "snap-fit", vide O-rings.

Filling the Tank:

Vape Satisfaction:

First hit:

Second hit:

Third hit: Bam!

BOTTOMLINE:
A perfect vape ~ an Amazing Atty! I'm a fan of the Kayfuns for a longtime, the Aqua came along and gave me the same pleasure with a bigger & warmer vape. This time around I am sold to the capability of the ESTIA. This one creates further happiness and puts my Kayfuns and Aquas at the backstage. Since the time this is with me I am relegated to vaping only this bad boy ~ The Gus ESTIA!

RATING:
On a scale of 1-10, where 10 is the best, I rate the ESTIA as: Vapor Production = 10/10, Throat Hit = 8/10, Flavor = 9/10. Overall this is a "Killer Atty"!

As I have been saying all along, "this is daBomb"!
respect-049.gif

CAUTION: This being a sub-Ohm build it is for "advanced users"; and definitely NOT RECOMMENDED for new vapers. It is also to be noted that all batteries cannot handle continuos excessive discharge. For sub-Ohming you must use a battery rated 10C or above, higher the better. I'm firing this build with Sony 30A 18650s and the likes.

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
Qorax, this is a first class review. I absolutely love your build coverage. The pic where you show how high off the deck you positioned the coils is such a great example of why this is so useful. The second is where you showed exact how long your trimmed wicks are. It is so hard to tell scale with this macro shots and perspective is so very important.

Thanks again for all your hard work. :bow:

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
I didn't have much luck with the aqua clone or Russian...I wonder if I should get this

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

I understand your concern.

The hardest thing about building the aqua is setting the coils. A real pain since there is only two posts. This device has separate negative posts which is great. Also it looks like there are these grooves that will hold your coil to the positive post while you work on the other coils. This is brilliant!

The hardest thing about the Russian is getting the wick set right. It can be finicky with too much or too little cotton. This wouldn't be such a big deal if you could get to the wick and coil without draining the tank to adjust things. With the aqua you can. I can't confirm that you can get to the coil with the ESTIA without drainingbut my gut tells me you can.

You have alot more flexibility with the wick since you have juice control. I think this sounds like a really easy tank to build and wick.

I am sure Qorax can share his opinion in more detail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread