GYO2MYO Snus

Status
Not open for further replies.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
Is anyone else here growing your own tobacco to make your own snus? I got a very late start this year, so didn't get my baccy babies in the ground until yesterday. I didn't plant all of them, but only those big enough to go in the ground. Here's what I have so far planted:

Turkish:

3 Basma
4 Bursa
4 Izmir-Ozbas

Virginia:

6 Virginia Gold
1 BW low nic (I suspect this is a Virginia but am not sure)

I am particularly interested in Viriginia only snus, or Virginia/Turkish snus blends, in any proportion from 25% Turkish/75% Virginia up to 50/50 blends of each. Given that snus is traditionally flavored with essential oils after pastuerization, I have decided my first flavor will be peppermint. However, I am exceedingly curious to know if snus could likewise be flavored with food extracts, so will also attempt to make snus flavored with mango extract. This same company is where I purchased the creme de cafe extract to make e-liquid, which tastes like Kahlua. So I will probably do a bit of experimentation with that as well.

Is anyone else here growing your own or making your own snus?

sheilalynn

ECF Veteran
I had success making a chocolate raspberry snus using Lorann's Flavorings and a little pinch of Splenda. I used General los as the base though, not my own tobacco. Even if I did want to try growing some, I wouldn't be able to till next year since the growing season is probably about half over up here in NH ;-)

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
I saw your post about the LorAnn's on the Snuson forums. I was so glad to see it too, because it leads me to believe the Fairie's Finest extracts will work just the same. I lost all of the plants I discussed here in the OP. Animals dug them up. I probably could have replanted them, but it has been a hectic week and I didn't have time. However, I have 4 plants which haven't been placed in the ground yet, which include two Bafra (Turkish), a Virginia Gold and a Brown and Williams low nic. I will get those in the ground later this week and cross my fingers. I learned the following:

1. DO NOT fertilize with fish emulsion. The smell attracts animals.

2. When starting seedlings, start FAR MORE than you think you will need, so you have plent of backup plants if necessary.

sheilalynn

ECF Veteran
Never heard of Fairies Finest, but if they're concentrated like Loranns they should work and not turn the stuff to mush when you're done flavoring :) Also, you may want to add the bit of Splenda if those flavorings are unsweetened like Loranns. It did make a big difference in the final taste when I added the Splenda.

I think someone had mentioned over there at snuson about his setup in growing them inside with grow lights and all. Could be a kinda cool hobby if nothing else! :)

Your idea of mango flavoring is sounding good here.....think I'll be googling Fairies Finest here soon ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread