Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hello Fellow Vapers,

The vaping community has finally been informed of impending FDA regulations on the vaping industry. As we have learned, these regulations will devastate the US vaping community and effectively wipe out our right to vape. Rather than whine, cry, piss, and moan about it let's take action to take the starch out of these regulations. There will be a number of things we can do as vaping advocates organize our efforts. But clearly one thing we can do now and going forward that would have a profound effect is to write our representatives to pass legislation that would dilute these regulations to something that is more reasonable than what is already planned. H.R. 2058 does exactly this! I will provide a link to H.R. 2058 for your viewing. Note there are tabs you can click for a summary of the bill, current co-sponsors of the bill, and other tidbits of information. It's not complicated.

Cosponsors - H.R.2058 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015

I also want to provide a link for you to determine who your U.S. House Representative is. I urge you to write/email/call your representative to encourage them to pass H.R. 2058. Be polite and civil, but let them know what vaping means to you and that you will be watching closely to this piece of legislation. Be concise. Following is a link for you to easily locate your House Representative. In most cases you can access their email from the same page. Write often (not just one time and walk away thinking you've done your part). WRITE OFTEN!

Find Your Representative · House.gov

I hope we can use this thread to discuss and update developments as it relates to H.R. 2058. Let's keep it focused on this piece of legislation as much as we can.

Thank you....AND WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVES!!!!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Should also always include CASAA.org as another avenue

Automated reach to all your representatives, White House and more :thumb:
Go ahead and post it. But I want to keep the OP focused on H.R. 2058 as it relates directly to our representatives. I have no problem with ancillary avenues so be my guest and post the CASAA link.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So, I've been poking around in here (link below) trying to see where this bill is now, if it's even on a calendar to be heard, or discussed, etc.
It says it was referred to a subcommittee on health...a YEAR ago. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems buried to me.
I'm hoping not, but maybe someone knows how to navigate their site better.
My district rep is actually a cosponsor, so that made me happy, but it just kind of looks like it's not gone anywhere. :cry:

Actions - H.R.2058 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
So, I've been poking around in here (link below) trying to see where this bill is now, if it's even on a calendar to be heard, or discussed, etc.
It says it was referred to a subcommittee on health...a YEAR ago. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems buried to me.
I'm hoping not, but maybe someone knows how to navigate their site better.
My district rep is actually a cosponsor, so that made me happy, but it just kind of looks like it's not gone anywhere. :cry:

Actions - H.R.2058 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015
I think we will start seeing some action soon now that the regulations have been disclosed.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think we will start seeing some action soon now that the regulations have been disclosed.
I sure hope so!! :cry:
Do you know where the appropriate place is to watch for upcoming events added to the calendar? Specifically at the house of rep site, I already know to keep an eye out here on the forums?

Kind of answered my own question really, prob easiest to keep an eye out here, and at the CASAA site...

...this is all so frustrating...even though we all knew it was going to be really bad. :(

Reactions: Foggy Road

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I sure hope so!! :cry:
Do you know where the appropriate place is to watch for upcoming events added to the calendar? Specifically at the house of rep site, I already know to keep an eye out here on the forums?

Kind of answered my own question really, prob easiest to keep an eye out here, and at the CASAA site...

...this is all so frustrating...even though we all knew it was going to be really bad. :(
You just assigned yourself the task of finding out and reporting back here. :)

Reactions: ENAUD

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You just assigned yourself the task of finding out and reporting back here. :)

Kind of like Snipe hunting?? (Slaps knee) You're funny!.
Sorry, I'm not your girl for that. :lol:
....I'd do well to organize a trip for TP to WalMart.
But I promise to keep poking around to see if I can find anything. :D.

And, I'll keep buggin our dist. rep. ;)

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hello Fellow Vapers,

The vaping community has finally been informed of impending FDA regulations on the vaping industry. As we have learned, these regulations will devastate the US vaping community and effectively wipe out our right to vape. Rather than whine, cry, piss, and moan about it let's take action to take the starch out of these regulations. There will be a number of things we can do as vaping advocates organize our efforts. But clearly one thing we can do now and going forward that would have a profound effect is to write our representatives to pass legislation that would dilute these regulations to something that is more reasonable than what is already planned. H.R. 2058 does exactly this! I will provide a link to H.R. 2058 for your viewing. Note there are tabs you can click for a summary of the bill, current co-sponsors of the bill, and other tidbits of information. It's not complicated.

Cosponsors - H.R.2058 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015

I also want to provide a link for you to determine who your U.S. House Representative is. I urge you to write/email/call your representative to encourage them to pass H.R. 2058. Be polite and civil, but let them know what vaping means to you and that you will be watching closely to this piece of legislation. Be concise. Following is a link for you to easily locate your House Representative. In most cases you can access their email from the same page. Write often (not just one time and walk away thinking you've done your part). WRITE OFTEN!

Find Your Representative · House.gov

I hope we can use this thread to discuss and update developments as it relates to H.R. 2058. Let's keep it focused on this piece of legislation as much as we can.

Thank you....AND WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVES!!!!

Wamt to add.

IF HOUSE BILL DOESNT STOP THE FDA;

THIS MAY BE YOUR LAST CHANCE TO GROW UP AS A VAPER.

STOCKPILE MODS, REBUILDABLE ATTYS, WIRE, NICOTINE, AND FLAVORS.

THEN LEARN TO REBUILD AND LEARN TO DIY EJUICE.

IF THE LEGISLATURE AND PRESIDENT DONT DO THE RIGHT THING AT LEAST YOU MADE THESE BUREAUCRATS IRRELEVANT.

SORRY BUT I DONT WANT TO HEAR PEOPLE SINGING TGE BLUES ABOUT BEING FORCED BACK ON THE STINKIES.

WE HAVE KNOWN THIS WAS COMING FOR MORE THAN A YEAR. MYSELF AND OTHERS HAVE ADVISED TO PREPARE

SORRY BUT IF YOU DONT ITS YOUR OWN DARN FAULT!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Kind of like Snipe hunting?? (Slaps knee) You're funny!.
Sorry, I'm not your girl for that. :lol:
....I'd do well to organize a trip for TP to WalMart.
But I promise to keep poking around to see if I can find anything. :D.

And, I'll keep buggin our dist. rep. ;)
Every bit helps. :)

Reactions: LoriP1702

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Is H.R. 2058 the same thing as Cole's amendment to the agriculture appropriations bill? A spending bill now out of committee ?
Per the bill itself: To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to provide for a certain effective date with respect to deemed tobacco products, and for other purposes.

As far as I know it is out of committee.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
It only takes a few minutes!

I am a 57 year old middle class VOTER.

I was addicted to tobacco most of my life. I firmly believe that switching to ecigs has extended my life by years. Not only does scientific research show that it is 95% less harmful, but my own body tells me that it is less harmful.

Now the FDA is making it easier to buy tobacco than to obtain a satisfying ecig.

I urge you to support the
H.R.2058 - FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015

Products that existed before 2/14/2007 simply did not work, where current generation products DO work. As a result I have been tobacco free for 3.5 years. Please allow me the legal means to stay off of tobacco!

Sincerely,
Mike Petro

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
It only takes a few minutes!

I am a 57 year old middle class VOTER.

I was addicted to tobacco most of my life. I firmly believe that switching to ecigs has extended my life by years. Not only does scientific research show that it is 95% less harmful, but my own body tells me that it is less harmful.

Now the FDA is making it easier to buy tobacco than to obtain a satisfying ecig.

I urge you to support the
H.R.2058 - FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015

Products that existed before 2/14/2007 simply did not work, where current generation products DO work. As a result I have been tobacco free for 3.5 years. Please allow me the legal means to stay off of tobacco!

Sincerely,
Mike Petro
Perfect!

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Is H.R. 2058 the same thing as Cole's amendment to the agriculture appropriations bill? A spending bill now out of committee ?

No it's not the same. H.R. 2058 is a bill that Tom Cole introduced in the House last year(2015) that would change the grandfather date from 2/15/2007 to the effective date of the "Deeming Rule".

His bi-partisan amendment to the 2017 appropriations bill(introduced this year) would do the same thing, but also has a few other provisions. I'm guessing that he believes the added provisions are needed to get it passed by the Senate.

"In addition to changing the grandfather date for deemed products, the amendment also includes language that will:
  • Require FDA to begin rulemaking to establish a product standard for e-vapor product batteries within 1 year of the effective date of the Deeming Regulation, and publish a final product standard for e-vapor product batteries within 2 years of the effective date of the Deeming Regulation.
  • Cause an e-vapor product to be considered misbranded under the FDCA if it is advertised in a newspaper, magazine, periodical, or any other publication other than an adult publication (i.e., a publication with 15% or less of its readership from readers younger than 18 years of age, and read by fewer than 2 million persons under 18 years of age).
  • Require retailers to sell e-vapor products in direct face-to-face exchanges without the use of any electronic or mechanical devices, such as a vending machine. This provision contains an exemption for mail-order sales (i.e., internet), and allows the use of vending machines or self-service displays if the machine or display is located in a facility where the retailer can ensure no persons under the age of 18 would be permitted to enter (i.e., adult-only facilities).
  • Require publication, within 1 year of the effective date of the Deeming Regulation, a regulation that would require e-vapor products to be labeled with the phrases "Keep Out of Reach of Children," and "Underage Sale Prohibited," as well as feature an accurate statement of the nicotine content of the product.
  • Requires retailers (e.g., vape shops) to register their establishment with FDA unless such retailer has already registered under any state or federal law."

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Just emailing your reps once is not enough. Keep at it. If you get a canned response, do it again and again and again.

Keep bugging them. By doing this, you are letting them know you are NOT going away and we are NOT going to let them steamroll us quietly. We are Pushing Back.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Just emailing your reps once is not enough. Keep at it. If you get a canned response, do it again and again and again.

Keep bugging them. By doing this, you are letting them know you are NOT going away and we are NOT going to let them steamroll us quietly. We are Pushing Back.
This cannot be stressed enough. Make a habit of writing at a specified time period. Say for example, every Sunday morning or whatever fits one's schedule.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Per the bill itself: To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to provide for a certain effective date with respect to deemed tobacco products, and for other purposes.

As far as I know it is out of committee.
Tom Cole states in his press release that his amendment was approved, see link, does that mean it will now be attached to the 2017 budget, or was that just one hurdle of that particular process? If you know.

Cole Responds to FDA Expanding Regulatory Authority on Tobacco Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread