Had to clean out the inside of my car because...

Status
Not open for further replies.

christianadivine

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2010
that is the only place I use to smoke that was contained, other than the car, I would always smoke somewhere outside.

I've been cigarette free for 20 days now and the smell of cigarettes really does turn me off. =P Odd as it may sound, the inside of my car REALLY started bugging me so I had to clean it out thoroughly and I tossed out my car ..../ashtray thing that I use to have in there. =]

Happy to report that my car is now a smoke-free environment that no longer smells like burnt ash and tobacco. =P Now I can count of my car smelling like vanilla, blueberry, or whatever it is I choose to vape in the car that day. =P Although the smell produced by vaping doesn't tend to linger like the smell of smoking does, it's still nice. =]

squidcandy

Jul 15, 2010
Utica, NY
Yeah the windows are the worst! Back when I worked retail there was an elderly woman who would come into the store just for the company and she'd go outside when we'd take smoke breaks... one day she pulled up in her car while we were sitting outside, and you could barely see inside her windows because they were covered in a thick film. A couple of us were worried about her and so after work we went out to clean her car for her (she couldn't see well to begin with and the car hadn't been cleaned in years because she had no family or close friends). I literally had to use a paint scraper to chip away at the coating on the windows. Yuck.

christianadivine

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2010
@squidcandy: how weird that i didn't have build-up in my car. like i said probably due to me keeping my windows all the way down whenever i smoked in it. =P that's so sweet of you and your co-workers to do that for that lady! =D

@Caddyman: interesting! i NEVER knew that smoking in your car would create a film or haze on your car windows. makes sense. i have a friend who only smokes in their bathroom and their walls are stained yellow brown... the color of their bathroom walls was originally pure white. =P

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York
I usually smoked with the windows open and never used the ash tray (yes I'm one of the ones responsible for all the cigarette butts on the side of the road).... after about 3 weeks I started to notice the smell stuck in my ventilation system and it made me sick too ... even after cleaning the car I couldn't get rid of the smell ... I ended up with a can of ozium in the car and sprayed the AC recirculation intake with the AC on recirculate each time I started the car for a few days...did the trick...

BTW: Don't use windex on your car - the ammonia is bad for you, and most of the surfaces in you vehicle. Get a specially made automotive glass cleaner without ammonia or just use vinnegar and water.

christianadivine

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2010
@jimho: I have no idea where the AC recirculation intake is on my car. LOL. But I'll ask my bf later when he gets here, might help. LOL. You think febreeze will work okay as a spray for that part? Not sure if the smell is stuck in my ventilation system though, I haven't noticed one, but won't know for sure until I give her a go, probably later on today.

I thought using windex was only bad to use on car windows when you have a tint. I assume using ammonia based window/glass cleaners is bad on car windows because it damages the tint but not because of the ammonia being hazardous to use because of inhalation damage assuming you use it right and wipe it dry, not to mention you should air out your car or have your car doors open while using it anyway.

Shy

Jul 9, 2010
FTL, Colorado
you may just have to let it work its way through, i wouldnt recomend spraying febreeze into the ducting or anywhere near the dash however as it may ruin some surfaces such as vinyl. i hear ya on the amount of ash in random ... spots in the car, i was suprised to find it clear at the back end of the car. must have been when the t-tops were off.
it sure is nice to smell leather again as opposed to an oversized over powered ash tray lol

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
SomeWhereOverTheRainbow, GA
For odor: either buy yourself a "negative ion generator" or seek a local detail shop that uses them.. these will kill almost any odor in any environment. they work by attaching negative ions to odor molecules and thus making them heavier.. the odor molecules then become heavy enough to suffer gravity and sink to the floor where they can be then vaccumed out. true story.. google negative ion generator.

On the smoke/haze thing... i had a roomate once that smoked soooo much sitting at his computer desk.. that when we moved out..the wall where he was located has a "burned in" image of everything that was at this desk..posters..computer.. everything had a ghost image left on the wall.. (i.e the area behind the poster..the paint was much whiter)... As far as car windows are concrned.. it really will create a yellow glazed over haze given enough time.. try taking a paper towel, wet it up with some rubbing alcohol and then hit your windows with it.. ill almost bet you come up with a bit of yellow film...

on the topic of car A/C units.. to my knowledge..there is nothing that will ever remove that smell from your air conditioning.. if you know of something that i dont.. please share.. i hate the amonia smell coming out of my cars A/C..

unrelated topic: Nice pic christianadivine :)

Stephra

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
The car was the first thing to get cleaned out when we dumped the butts back in February. It was a liberating experience to clean all that film off the windows and know I wouldn't ever have to do it again.

I'm looking forward to the day wee get a new car that has never been smoked in, and never will be.

I Febrezed the crap outta the seats, too. A lot mentioned the air ducts, but the seats were the worst for me. That smell just clings after awhile.

Shy

Jul 9, 2010
FTL, Colorado
@Shy: I agree. spraying something into my ventilation system in my car kinda doesn't seem like a good idea to me. LOL. I think I'll just let it "air out" and work it's way through on it's own. =P

not a bad idea haha. the ion thing will work as stated above also.
i just let time take over with the T/A and it worked its way out in about a week of running the defroster while the car was running. now all you get is clean air. :)

christianadivine

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2010
@$hua: Your explanation for how the whole negative ion generator works was very interesting. Thanks for sharing. =] I didn't smoke anywhere in the house so my only concern is my car. I don't detect a horrible smell after cleaning it out, so maybe an air freshener will suffice? =P I will however go to my car right now and try out that tip about the rubbing alcohol just to see if i get anything. =P Thank you by the way! Glad you like my pic. LOL. =D

@Shy: Yeah, I think I'll just let it air out. thanks for the tip about running the defroster! Guess I'll just pick myself up an air freshener untill about a week or so passes. =P LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread