Had to have my dog (best friend of 7 years) put down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScotTex

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2010
Houston, Texas
<--(Not the little doggy in the avatar.)

He started to turn feral in the last 6-8 months, he would break through the fence or just climb up and over it to get out, he'd run all over the place and would kill things. I'm guessing opossums mostly at first because he use to do that inside our yard, but I recently caught him trying to corner a cat in a neighbors' yard and was able to stop him.

A couple of times in the last month or so he has come limping back home covered in blood with a 'Charles Manson' look on his face. Then the wonderful day came when the dog catcher comes knocking on the door with a $600 fine (for a cat & some chickens) and I just had to say "...... this!, I have put him down for the good of our neighborhood, my family and him."

We had started to get completely stressed-out because of his weekly damage (on top of our normal everyday stress), this was the only solution, but now I feel a huge part of my life is missing. My brother and his wife came over and pretty much gave me the 'You are a monster for killing him' looks. They both were reeking of analogs, but I have been vaping long enough now, the smell (on top of the sadness of euthanizing him) just made me want to vomit.

I had just reached 'that' point of quitting analogs where I no longer look at the usual places I left them just a month back. Now I looking for him on my bed, in his chair and keep expecting him to greet me when I come in or go outside with me.. I know I had to do it, but I hate these feelings! :(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

ebilc

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2009
Central Florida
This is no doubt a horrible situation to be in, but of all people, you know what was best to do for the safety and well being of all around you. You made the decision and if feels terrible, but there must have been something wrong with your best friend or it would have been impossible to come to this conclusion in the first place. I feel your pain. And time will heal.

ScotTex

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2010
Houston, Texas
Thank you... I have added the last picture I took of him. He use to love looking out the window.

edit:
e bil c: yes, I know I made the right decision.. he could have moved on to hurting a child and that would be unreal! .. I just have to get over these "I failed you" feelings and try to move on.

Last edited:

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Big hug coming your way.

I know how it feels. I had to do the same thing to my Dalmation. He wouldn't leave the neighbors cattle alone. I tried everything, even a shock collar. Nothing would stop him. It wasn't so bad at first, when he only wanted to heard the cattle, but then he started biting at them. When kids would come over, he started grawling and trying to herd them in the same manner. My biggest concern, like yourself, was a kid getting hurt. We didn't have a choice either.

You will always remember him in your heart...all the good times that you had together. Don't be so hard on yourself, you did the right and only thing you could do.

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
failure absolutly not !
the extent of the pain, shows the extent of your love.....
i read this somewhere,even had it for a sig for awhile too.

"a dog is the only animal that loves you,more than it loves itself"

may peace come quickly my friend

Well said, and what a great quote. A dog's love is truly altruistic.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

ScotTex

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2010
Houston, Texas
Thank you all.
I've gotten over the 'blame game' and I'm slowly getting use to the feeling of not having him around. Each day I feel a little better, less stressed-out about him doing something crazy. :-x
I spent a lot of time cleaned up as much of the house as possible, rearranging furniture and going to the local park more often than before. I use to have to drive 20+ miles to take him to a dog park and he never seemed to have a good time around the other dogs.

PS Vapo, that is a great quote. :)

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
I don't know if I could kill my dog for killing other animals... but then again my dog is nearly 7 years old already so I guess it's unthinkable for me. He recently tore a ligament and surgery was around $500 and that wasn't enough to hesitate on keeping him. But then again, if the pet might kill a person I see your point!

316lvm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
southern minnesota
Aw ScotTex, I'm so sorry to hear this. Putting your pet down is one of the hardest things in life to do. When that decision is made, we agonize over having made it.

Someone once told me, that when a pet leaves your life, it is because he/she is making room for another that needs the love and care only you can give.

Take care of yourself. I will keep you in my prayers.

Sending you a big [[[[HUG]]]]]]

Purple Haze

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2011
NV
I'm so sorry for your loss. In 2007 I had to put down my wolf, she was the world to me, I had her for 15 years. This was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I suggest you get the book "Rescuing Sprite" A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish by Mark Levin. You can probably get on Amazon. I really think this will be good for you. Your in my prayers.

tigerlily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2010
Oklahoma
Making the decision to have your pet put to sleep is very difficult. We had to have our dog put down last fall so I know how tough it can be. I also know how cruel some people can be when they hear about it. Never let anybody else make you second guess yourself. I am sorry you have had to go through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread