Halo New Blue Bottles (unsafe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Toomey

May 21, 2018
I have been a Halo customer for some time now. I am concerned about the new blue bottles being used. I buy Malibu and my concern is children. Yes, I realize it is the responsibility of the user to see that the oil is stored securely. That being said children have a way of getting into things they shouldn’t. If a child came upon the bottle previously used if properly closed it would be quite difficult to open if at all. That is not the case with your new bottles. I have tightened them firmly and when I go back it opens easily without much effort. Hopefully, you see the risk here. Imagine a child opening one of my Malibu bottles and drinking the contents. I believe such a dose of nicotine would or could be fatal. Imaging the lawsuit!

Looking at your new bottles from a business perspective. They pose an unacceptable risk to your business at least I believe they do. I worked in information systems for 40 years. Everything I did needed to have the risk evaluated. I don’t know if your business has such policies. If they don’t have such policies they should be put in place ASAP.

It’s really easy to ignore something when it’s not yours to deal with as is the case with the bottles and me. Personally, I will make it impossible for my grandchildren to access the oil. Will everyone else?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
The lid for the bottle should be your last line of defense when it comes to children. I keep my juices in a lockable box. While I do not have small children in my home (just two teens, which hate smoking/vaping as a whole), if I do have any nephews or nieces drop by, I lock it up. I would never trust just the lid of a bottle to stop anyone from getting to its contents. Especially since my kids have always beat childproof lids in seconds flat when they tried, even at very young ages. Actually, some of them are more adult proof than child proof.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
"Keep Out Of Reach..." should be your first thought, Put them on a high shelf or closet or a cabinet "...Out Of Reach". I don't even have kids, just 2 cats and ALL my juice bottles are up on a shelf in a cabinet with the door shut.

Also echoing what Zaryk said.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
As evidenced by the fact that it is readily miscible with water, e-liquid is not an oil.

E-liquid is by far not not the most accessible hazardous liquid in most people's homes.

chemicals-under-your-sink.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I agree that as much as is feasible, it's good to have childproof "items" but that doesn't really mean much. I drank toilet bowl cleaner at about age 3 as my mom's back was turned apparently, necessitated a quick trip to the ER, but I was fine. But it is true that many household products can cause harm to kids.

When my son was small, I kept all hazardous materials (including my childproof meds) in a laundry room (large) cabinet. That would be the case if I had any children or pets in my home, which is not currently the case. But, I will be getting a puppy soon, so will likely be doing that once again, and figuring out how to store everything.

I agree with your concerns, I'd also say childproof or not, well, I always "added" more protection because it is NOT impossible for a small child to open a "childproof" bottle.. I ASSUME the toilet bowl cleaner was, (it was a long time ago) but I don't know that for sure. Either way, I was able to open the thing... and drink it.

Anna

Reactions: Beamslider
Hi @Sean Toomey,

As one of the first companies in the vaping industry to use child-proof caps and tamper-evident seals, we take safety very seriously. With that being said, we do understand your concerns. That is why we make sure our bottles are independently tested and certified by a leading expert in child-resistant packaging who has been working with the Consumer Products Safety Commission for over 25 years. We are and have been in compliance with the Child Nicotine Poisoning Prevention Act since before it took effect in 2016 (C.F.R Title 16, Part 1700.20).

As with any other adult products, e-liquids should never be kept anywhere near children or where a child might be exposed to them. Keep e-liquids locked away in a closet or cabinet or stored on a high shelf where children cannot easily access them. We focus on safety and encourage our customers to always be diligent when handling and storing vaping products.

We do appreciate your feedback and we thank you for being a Halo customer.

Joel tullos

Jul 1, 2018
Hi @Sean Toomey,

As one of the first companies in the vaping industry to use child-proof caps and tamper-evident seals, we take safety very seriously. With that being said, we do understand your concerns. That is why we make sure our bottles are independently tested and certified by a leading expert in child-resistant packaging who has been working with the Consumer Products Safety Commission for over 25 years. We are and have been in compliance with the Child Nicotine Poisoning Prevention Act since before it took effect in 2016 (C.F.R Title 16, Part 1700.20).

As with any other adult products, e-liquids should never be kept anywhere near children or where a child might be exposed to them. Keep e-liquids locked away in a closet or cabinet or stored on a high shelf where children cannot easily access them. We focus on safety and encourage our customers to always be diligent when handling and storing vaping products.

We do appreciate your feedback and we thank you for being a Halo customer.

Joel tullos

Jul 1, 2018
No, youre bottles are not safe,every bottle ive order from halo over the past 4 months have had defective childproof caps. When tightened, it loosens by itself, making it hazardous to handle later. Ive only kept ordering because i love the flavors, and must always put the liquid in other bottles and throw away the halo bottles. Yore not taking this seriously enough. and ofcourseyou understand the concern, but do nothing abot it. That is complete corporate garbage.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't consider any eliquid company using childproof caps to be "corporate garbage," honestly. Look, you KNOW they are going to be a thing with the FDA at some point (well, if you DON'T know it, you do now, as the FDA primarily handles medicines and they've had child proof caps for years and if you don't think it is going to be a "thing" for vaping, I am 99.99999999% sure it will be.)

The companies doing this now are just saying ahead of the game, and honestly, that's usually a sign that they are planning/hoping to stick around and staying ahead of the game and showing "compliance" before it's even mandated.

So, if you like their juice, be "glad" or if not "glad" exactly, mad at the FDA. Although I do AGREE with you on the unfortunate nature of some styles of child proof caps, well, it is what it is.

And yes, you as a consumer can rebottle if you don't have kids around. I am more "meh" on the subject but I have been dealing with childproof caps on medications since 9/9/1999. I actually would ASK for childproof caps because I had an INFANT. Etc.

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
Lemme say this. I have some tops that work as designed. And I have others that seem "jammed", they unscrew as if there was no Child Protective top. I'll guess it at 8 good, 3 fail. And not just Halo blue bottles, but some Evo, too. These are the new style taller caps, about 3/4" of hard plastic, as opposed to the shorted 1/2" older style. And I have a LOT of old ones, which all still work as designed. The problem is the new style with the silly tamper ring at the bottom (which in my opinion is inferior to the heat-shrink clear sleeve used on the old style.

I do realize Halo has been at the front of such things as tamper proof and the CPTs. and did do their due diligence with testing and certifying them. (And was leading the fight with the lawsuit against the FDA deeming garbage.)

However, in my opinion, I think Halo should ask for these defective bottles to be returned and inspected. There is a problem. Although Halo has had the tops inspected and certified, there seems to be bad ones going out to folks.

So, @ZenenaM2017 I'll pm you. I will send my defective bottles back to Halo for inspection.

I am Halon, love the juice. Let's get this thing fixed. :)

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No, youre bottles are not safe,every bottle ive order from halo over the past 4 months have had defective childproof caps. When tightened, it loosens by itself, making it hazardous to handle later. Ive only kept ordering because i love the flavors, and must always put the liquid in other bottles and throw away the halo bottles. Yore not taking this seriously enough. and ofcourseyou understand the concern, but do nothing abot it. That is complete corporate garbage.

This can be an Inherent Problem with CRP for both the Consumer and for the Retailer putting their Product into CRP.

Because a Container Manufacture can submit a Container for ASTM D 3475 Certification, and their Design/Product can be Certified. But there really Isn't any Independent Verification afterward that the container can Maintain Certification over the Production Cycle Lifetime.

So if the Die Set wears or is Damaged/Reworked, or if the Manufacture changes the Injection Parameters (such as Increasing the Injection Temp/Cool Cycle to increase Units per Hour Rates), the Functionality of the CRP can Degrade. Many Times falling out of ASTM D 3475 requirements.

Couple this with Many Container Manufactures having Scant QA Procedures for In-Process Inspection (Basically Lights Out Production in Many Cases). And Most Retails having Little or, in some cases, No In-House Random Sampling of the Containers, and what you can have is Basically a product being sold in Non-CRP.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Nope I'm sorry but I have three bottles of Halo from their blue series right in front of me, right now, and each and every one is definitely in a working child resistant bottle. It sounds more like your just not putting the cap back on correctly as no cap, not even ones that aren't child resistant, will loosen without any assistance.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
no cap, not even ones that aren't child resistant, will loosen without any assistance.
Respectfully disagree. I've seen dropper caps that do exactly that, both child-resistance an non. E-liquid can do strange things when it gets between the top of a glass bottle and the rubber that seals the cap.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This can be an Inherent Problem with CRP for both the Consumer and for the Retailer putting their Product into CRP.

Because a Container Manufacture can submit a Container for ASTM D 3475 Certification, and their Design/Product can be Certified. But there really Isn't any Independent Verification afterward that the container can Maintain Certification over the Production Cycle Lifetime.

So if the Die Set wears or is Damaged/Reworked, or if the Manufacture changes the Injection Parameters (such as Increasing the Injection Temp/Cool Cycle to increase Units per Hour Rates), the Functionality of the CRP can Degrade. Many Times falling out of ASTM D 3475 requirements.

Couple this with Many Container Manufactures having Scant QA Procedures for In-Process Inspection (Basically Lights Out Production in Many Cases). And Most Retails having Little or, in some cases, No In-House Random Sampling of the Containers, and what you can have is Basically have product being sold in Non-CRP.

BTW - This is Also where Product Production/Date Codes on Labels becomes Very Important.

Because if there is a Customer or Retailer Reported problem, the CRP Container (just like the Product that went into the CRP Container) should be Traceable via the Production/Date Code.

So I as the OEM should know what Order/Vendor the CRP Containers came from.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Respectfully disagree. I've seen dropper caps that do exactly that, both child-resistance an non. E-liquid can do strange things when it gets between the top of a glass bottle and the rubber that seals the cap.

I've vaped four years and never had it happen. Perhaps it's just my habits of cleanliness in the end that causes me no difficulty as I do wipe the threads of the bottle before putting a cap back on, but if so i can't see blaming the retailer.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I've vaped four years and never had it happen. Perhaps it's just my habits of cleanliness in the end that causes me no difficulty as I do wipe the threads of the bottle before putting a cap back on, but if so i can't see blaming the retailer.
Yep, getting the top of the bottle and the underside of the cap (the rubber dropper) dry usually fixes it, at least for a while. But there seems to be much variability to it happening to begin with. Some caps seem to do it much more than others.

• Useful

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
Nope I'm sorry but I have three bottles of Halo from their blue series right in front of me, right now, and each and every one is definitely in a working child resistant bottle. It sounds more like your just not putting the cap back on correctly as no cap, not even ones that aren't child resistant, will loosen without any assistance.
Well, good for you. I'm glad you didn't get a defective one. You do realize your sample size is small. I have 20 bottles, and 30% are failed. And you are saying I didn't put the cap on "correctly"? As long as the top is tight enough so it can't be removed just by twisting the rubber bulb, the top should just spin, unless pushed down. The OP says he tightened them, but they will open without the "push down". The clutch simply isn't working on these 6. Regardless if I tighten just enough, or crank it with serious torque. Twist and it opens, without the down push.

BTW - This is Also where Product Production/Date Codes on Labels becomes Very Important....
Yes. I looked, and Halo has batch numbers on bottles I have from 2013. And newer ones have a QR, which could encode even more information.

So, the manufacturer (not a retailer) has no blame if the enduser did or didn't wipe the threads? Seriously? These tops should function dry, or wet, or soaked in oil. I have these tops in my hand, and the problem is mechanical. We all have used countless CRTs in many products. I have 6 bottles with failed tops, and 14 with functioning tops. (new style Halo and Evo) I cannot make a failed one work, I can't "unjam" it. And I cant get the good ones to jam. They work as designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread