Status
Not open for further replies.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I am in need of someone's help who is familiar with the original mini v3 and their Li-Po packs.

I bought this little bugger at a steep discount, unused, since the included "battery pack" did not hold a charge. When I pulled the battery, it looked like an 18650 that was wired into a "female" connector and plugged into the "male connector" (coming from the mod). My first action was to order a replacement Li-Po pack directly from hana modz (1200 mAh Li-Po Battery Pack - 1200 mAh Li-Po Battery Pack - $15.00 : DNA Box Mods, by HANA MODZ)
1200mah_battery.jpg

You can see the "male" connector in the pic, though the 2 Li-Po packs I received were a bit smaller)

After receiving my order, and they sent me two replacement packs:), I noticed that the connector coming from the pack was "male". Crude.

My question, is it safe to clip the "female" connector from the orginal Li-Po pack, and replace it with the "male" connector on the newly acquired Li-Po pack?

My other thought was to take the original Li-Po pack, remove the wires from the neg and pos, and solder them to a good 18650.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to get this thing up and running (without blowing up my hands!)

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Soldering to a battery is a BAD idea. Go with the plug transplant and heatshrink the splices.
Understood. Probably the safest bet to replace the plug coming from the mod instead of from the new Li-Po pack. I'll have to snip the female connector from the old pack, and assume that I should snip each wire separately as snipping them together would complete the circuit, shorting it?
Oh yeah, use a voltmeter to verify the connections (+ and -)
A good idea. The wires are color coded and I believe black is normally negative but definitely want to be 100% sure. Thanks so much for your help Zip!! :)

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
After further review, I beleive I have a clone here. 1) after taking off the backing plate, there should be Hana reflective stickers around the internals cover. They are not there. 2) the whole male to female connectors being flip flopped is inaccurate compared to the Auth. and 3) on the original mini v3 there are two connects from the mod and two from the Lipo pack. The one I have only has one:oops: Though I didn't spend much money, I'm pretty biffed :-xthat this was touted as an Authentic when clearly it is not. I also read that there was a big hubub about the first round of clones that came out having the Hana Mods logo on them. Apparently Hana was biffed like me to see their name on a fake, so cloners were made to drop the logos. This one musta came from before that. That said, anyone need a fake (but authentic looking:) purple hana mod mini v3? I'll throw in some incompatible authentic lipos directly from Hana Modz;):glug:

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
After further review, I beleive I have a clone here. 1) after taking off the backing plate, there should be Hana reflective stickers around the internals cover. They are not there. 2) the whole male to female connectors being flip flopped is inaccurate compared to the Auth. and 3) on the original mini v3 there are two connects from the mod and two from the Lipo pack. The one I have only has one:oops: Though I didn't spend much money, I'm pretty biffed :-xthat this was touted as an Authentic when clearly it is not. I also read that there was a big hubub about the first round of clones that came out having the Hana Mods logo on them. Apparently Hana was biffed like me to see their name on a fake, so cloners were made to drop the logos. This one musta came from before that. That said, anyone need a fake (but authentic looking:) purple hana mod mini v3? I'll throw in some incompatible authentic lipos directly from Hana Modz;):glug:
The mini only had one sticker sometimes not every time. It should have looked like this on the inside Hana Modz - Page 9

I would just swap ends and put the battery in and see how it works. Please do them one at a time being very careful with the positive side as not to short. A lipo can be very dangerous and should be handled with the utmost care.

Can you take pics of the insides and under the cover?

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
The mini only had one sticker sometimes not every time. It should have looked like this on the inside Hana Modz - Page 9

I would just swap ends and put the battery in and see how it works. Please do them one at a time being very careful with the positive side as not to short. A lipo can be very dangerous and should be handled with the utmost care.

I will take some pics tonight and post them before I start swapping the connectors. Probably should have done that from the start. Just thought it would have been an easier swap. Really appreciate the help @Zipslack @King_Louie & @rhelton.

Reactions: rhelton

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC

Here is a pic of the mod with the back cover removed. I should've taken a pic of the OG battery, but basically it is an 18650 wired to the "female" connector. You can see the one "male" connector in the pic. No auth. sticker(s) and the internals cover looks to be elmer glued to the mod:
IMG_2102[1].JPG

IMG_2103[1].JPG

Real craftmanship here, huh. Should I rip that black cover off? How can you tell if the chip is a real DNA30 without it turning on?

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
Always in life you get what you pay for. As for your wire swap; it shouldn't matter if you cut one at a time or both at once. Because the Battery shouldn't be hooked up or even charged for that matter during the swap.
Yes indeed that is some sloppy workmanship there and I recall seeing some Older Gentlemen on You Tube that did a review on those Clones and that is not a DNA 30 so don't waste your time or the remainder of the use of the Mod by breaking it down any further. It's cheap don't push it...LOL Attempt your Connector swap and leave well enough alone. A lesson learned;)

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Hana sent you two batteries because the authentic uses two in parallel to get the 2000mah I think it is.

Unfortunately you have a clone there. The good news is you can get a Dna40 for very inexpensive that will fit in there just fine. And Evolv gave news today they have upgraded the Dna40 to a Dna60 that is Escribe upgradeable.

isketambola

Jun 18, 2017
I am in need of someone's help who is familiar with the original mini v3 and their Li-Po packs.

I bought this little bugger at a steep discount, unused, since the included "battery pack" did not hold a charge. When I pulled the battery, it looked like an 18650 that was wired into a "female" connector and plugged into the "male connector" (coming from the mod). My first action was to order a replacement Li-Po pack directly from Hana Modz (1200 mAh Li-Po Battery Pack - 1200 mAh Li-Po Battery Pack - $15.00 : DNA Box Mods, by HANA MODZ)
View attachment 570179
You can see the "male" connector in the pic, though the 2 Li-Po packs I received were a bit smaller)

After receiving my order, and they sent me two replacement packs:), I noticed that the connector coming from the pack was "male". Crude.

My question, is it safe to clip the "female" connector from the orginal Li-Po pack, and replace it with the "male" connector on the newly acquired Li-Po pack?

My other thought was to take the original Li-Po pack, remove the wires from the neg and pos, and solder them to a good 18650.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to get this thing up and running (without blowing up my hands!)

Hi..where can i buy the battery for hana modz V3 ?

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Hi..where can i buy the battery for hana modz V3 ?
Sorry, haven't been online in a while... Looks like the original Hana Modz site is now unsecure and may not be safe to access and/or order from (see for yourself at hanamodz.com - Maybe someone more "in the know" can provide info. as to why the site is now unsecure). I've still got the lipo pack replacement (1200mAh) if you want em. I'll charge you shipping cost only since I'll probably never use them.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Sorry, haven't been online in a while... Looks like the original Hana Modz site is now unsecure and may not be safe to access and/or order from (see for yourself at hanamodz.com - Maybe someone more "in the know" can provide info. as to why the site is now unsecure). I've still got the lipo pack replacement (1200mAh) if you want em. I'll charge you shipping cost only since I'll probably never use them.

The error given is:

www.hanamodz.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on January 28, 2017 at 5:59 PM. The current time is July 24, 2017 at 5:13 AM.

Definitely not safe to order from. Considering certificate issuing authorities start sending you emails far in advance of your certificate's expiration, there's no excuse for letting it lapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread