The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

hard draw on battery? this works!

Discussion in 'Vapor4Life' started by pse001, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. pse001

pse001 Full Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas
    I have a V4L generic (808d-1) white auto battery that had a very hard draw. Was going to toss it anyway, so I did this:

1. poured a couple of tablespoons of 91% isopropyl into a small, shallow dish.
    2. dipped the threaded end of the battery into the iso and swished it around and around.
    3. used an old toothbrush dipped in the iso and scrubbed the hell out of the threaded end, face and threads.
    4. immersed the batt again into the iso and swished and swished.
    5. blew vigorously on the area in question.
    6. set the thread end back in the iso and let it sit for 10 minutes.
    7. blew like crazy on the area until no more droplets of iso flew off.
    8. let it dry for 10 minutes
    VoiLa! The draw is like new!!!! Works like a charm! Saved $12.50
    Am I Goooooood, or what?

2. ebilc

ebilc Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 27, 2009
    Central Florida
    well i gotta say pse, that sounds good.obviously you didn't stand the batt upright on the LED? how deep did the threaded end dip into the iso?

3. pse001

pse001 Full Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas
    I dipped the thread end just enough to immerse it, no more. When I soaked the end for 10 minutes, had it leaning a little, with the end Just Barely immersed in the iso, with the rest of the battery resting against the side of the dish.

4. ebilc

ebilc Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 27, 2009
    Central Florida
    Ok cool pse... i am gonna give that a shot. As i have a couple of hard to draw batts.

5. Darrigaaz

Darrigaaz Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2009
    New Mexico, USA
    Is this for manual only? Or automatic?

6. pse001

pse001 Full Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas
    I've only done it on the auto, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a manual, since they're sealed. If the battery is unusable (unuseable?), what do you have to lose? I'm smoking the one I cleaned right now with a new Coffee cart, easy draw and tons of vapor.

7. antithesis

antithesis Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    michigan
    this technique seems a bit easier than the vid i watched about using pins and pipe cleaner (not that that was *hard*, but i mean, this seems quicker, or more convenient). i will keep it in mind! all my batts were bought this week so no troubles yet, but at least now i have things to try before i haul off and buy new ones.

thanks for the tip!

8. Tenebrae

Tenebrae Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 8, 2009
    Bay Area California
    Heavy shot glasses work well for this method. Saved a couple batts this way.
    Still looking forward to my XL manual though :)

9. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    I tried this once. Battery soon died. Hope it works better for you.

10. Pawpaw

Pawpaw Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 5, 2009
    North Texas
    Sometimes you can get a brand new battery (auto or manual) that has a very stiff draw. The quickest and easiest way to fix it is to use a pin or needle to clean out the little air holes under the threads.

I've had that happen and this fixed it every time.

Of course, when you clean a well-used battery, you can do the same.

11. athlon14

athlon14 Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 27, 2009
    Yakima,Wa.
    I use a Butler EEZ-THRU FLOSS tHREADER to clean the 2 small holes and it works very good for me:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.