Harsh vaping for first 5 minutes or so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboblake1991

Jul 5, 2018
When i vape after as little as 15 minutes of my last puff i get harsh puffs for 5 to 10 minutes.... But then it gets super smooth .I'm not sure why this happens and wonder if it is something i am doing. This is the 2nd one i have baught and it has always happened. I am using the new mesh coil .30-90 W at 60 W in a new aegis legend kit. Can anyone tell me if it is something i am doing?

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I've had that happen. Completely different gear though. Something that comes on quickly and goes away like that I suspect a little flooding. When you first pick it up the coil is flooded so it doesn't vaporize fully. After a few hits the excess juice burns off and it goes back to normal. In my case it was crappy wicking, but you are using a ready made coil at much higher power than me so it could be something else going on.

• Agree
Reactions: ExtremeDooty

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm assuming that you are a relatively new vaper. You currently using a high wattage, sub-ohm, direct-to-lung (DTL) setup.

The vast majority of new vapers start out with a MTL (mouth-to-lung), lower wattage, standard ohm setup. Many, but not all, of these vapors may over time advance up to a similar setup like you are using now.

I'm just thinking that perhaps you would be better served by using a different tank (MTL and standard ohm coils). You could continue using the Aegis Legend, but at a much lower wattage setting.

I've used both the Legend and the mesh subohm coils for the Aero tank. My review:

Aegis Legend Kit - Geekvape

I was not particularly happy with the coils used with the Aero tank. I often got that "harsh" vape at the recommended wattage settings; reducing the wattage didn't help a whole lot. I would have been happier had there been a coil option for vapers who vape between 20 - 30 watts. I've been vaping at 30 watts for years now and choose my coils accordingly.

Last edited:

Roboblake1991

Jul 5, 2018
I'm assuming that you are a relatively new vaper. You currently using a high wattage, sub-ohm, direct-to-lung (DTL) setup.

The vast majority of new vapers start out with a MTL (mouth-to-lung), lower wattage, standard ohm setup. Many, but not all, of these vapors may over time advance up to a similar setup like you are using now.

I'm just thinking that perhaps you would be better served by using a different tank (MTL and standard ohm coils). You could continue using the Aegis Legend, but at a much lower wattage setting.

I've used both the Legend and the mesh subohm coils for the Aero tank. My review:

Aegis Legend Kit - Geekvape

I was not particularly happy with the coils used with the Aero tank. I often got that "harsh" vape at the recommended wattage settings; reducing the wattage didn't help a whole lot. I would have been happier had there been a coil option for vapers who vape between 20 - 30 watts. I've been vaping at 30 watts for years now and choose my coils accordingly.

I have been vaping for almost a year. What coil would you best recommend for low wattage? I will give that a try and see if it makes a difference.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I have been vaping for almost a year. What coil would you best recommend for low wattage? I will give that a try and see if it makes a difference.
Go with a 1.5 to 1.7 ohm coil. 10 to 40 watts. Youll prob need to up the nic back to around 12mg and see how that goes. Youll have to use a MTL setup. Try not to chain vape. Ive never used one but the nautilus appears to be a decent tank for this. I did have a nautilus 2, but i had problems with it flooding and gurgling really bad. I put up with this for only a short time before i went big with sub ohm, high power vaping. Sometimes, i still get harsh hits, and ill check all the things i listed as to possible causes. All are correctable. The first vape in the morning is almost always a choker, no matter how lightly i try to hit it. It just is what it is, lol. Personally, i just deal with it because the alternative (smoking cigs) isnt really an alternative.

Roboblake1991

Jul 5, 2018
Go with a 1.5 to 1.7 ohm coil. 10 to 40 watts. Youll prob need to up the nic back to around 12mg and see how that goes. Youll have to use a MTL setup. Try not to chain vape. Ive never used one but the nautilus appears to be a decent tank for this. I did have a nautilus 2, but i had problems with it flooding and gurgling really bad. I put up with this for only a short time before i went big with sub ohm, high power vaping. Sometimes, i still get harsh hits, and ill check all the things i listed as to possible causes. All are correctable. The first vape in the morning is almost always a choker, no matter how lightly i try to hit it. It just is what it is, lol. Personally, i just deal with it because the alternative (smoking cigs) isnt really an alternative.

Thats what I do. I take 10 or 15 little puffs off of it (some without inhaling) to get to the smooth puffs .Then it his like a charm. After that I have no issues. I paid closer attention this last time and it seems like once it warms up it hits great. Especially when I can physically feel that thecoil is warm. But once it cools down it's harsh again .

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What coil would you best recommend for low wattage? I will give that a try and see if it makes a difference.
I don't believe Geekvape offers a standard resistance coil for their line of tanks, they are all sub-ohm. I was critical of Geekvape for that, stating that the vast majority of vapers are not high wattage vapers. How many watts do you vape at? (2018)

My favorite tank is the original Uwell Crown tank. Technically, it is a sub-ohm tank, but they also offer a 1.25 ohm coil My review is here: Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank

There are a dwindling number of mouth to lung, low wattage tanks available, including the popular Aspire Nautilus tanks which use a 1.6 or 1.8 ohm coil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have not used that tank, and have no way to prove it, but my hypothesis is that those mesh coils do not heat evenly from a cold start. This means that certain parts are heating up faster initially and causing semi-dry hits which are harsh. As it warms up the rest of the mesh catches up and it starts running smoothly.

When starting cold, try firing it while gently blowing through it a couple of times to get it to warm up, then vape it. This gets you past the hash hits while blowing the vapor out of the air flow holes, instead of inhaling the harshness.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Perhaps it's just an issue with the mesh coils and he just needs a standard style coil instead of a mesh coil. Maybe?
That is certainly a possibility. The Aero tank and its mesh coils were my first experience with using mesh coils, and I had a similar experience as the OP had with his.

Roboblake1991

Jul 5, 2018
I've been using the fireluke mesh for about 3 months, I don't get any dry or harsh hits. In my opinion it heats much more evenly than traditional coils. I do make sure the first puff is slow and easy, but I do that with all of my coils.

So i changed the coil today and noticed that the cotton had dark brown burnt edges. I called a buddy that has been vaping for a lot longer than me and he said i should let it sit for about an hour after changing the coil and filling it. So i primed the coil as i always do and filled the tank and waited an hour (instead of my normal 15 to 20 minutes). It now hits like a charm and has way more flavor. Its also not a mesh coil though.

Reactions: dennism

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I may be way off target since I'm a MTL vaper who winds and wicks his own rebuildables. It sounds like wick starvation. Does it vape better and more consistently if you turn the wattage w-a-y down? It could just be unable to keep up making clouds at your present wattage level and the wick is suffering from juice starvation. It can't keep up the juice delivery at your present wattage level.

• Agree
Reactions: Janusz

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I may be way off target since I'm a MTL vaper who winds and wicks his own rebuildables. It sounds like wick starvation. Does it vape better and more consistently if you turn the wattage w-a-y down? It could just be unable to keep up making clouds at your present wattage level and the wick is suffering from juice starvation. It can't keep up the juice delivery at your present wattage level.

Yes, it seems to me to be wick starvation. After tank heats up viscosity is reduced so juice flow more freely...

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yes, it seems to me to be wick starvation. After tank heats up viscosity is reduced so juice flow more freely...

So i changed the coil today and noticed that the cotton had dark brown burnt edges. I called a buddy that has been vaping for a lot longer than me and he said i should let it sit for about an hour after changing the coil and filling it. So i primed the coil as i always do and filled the tank and waited an hour (instead of my normal 15 to 20 minutes). It now hits like a charm and has way more flavor. Its also not a mesh coil though.

I think you have found the cure, Roboblake. We've seen this problem years ago with factory coils. They come in with dry filler and wicking. That's manufacturer can't prime them because everyone vapes different juices. What we did with Kanger coils was fill the little rubber cover with juice and insert the coil into it for about 30 minutes. After that, the coil would vape fine because the cotton was saturated with juice. Just squirting juice into a new coil doesn't fully saturate the cotton.

At higher wattage levels the wick is just trying to keep up with what's being heated and vaporized. At some point the wick will be unable to feed the need for more vapor and a dry hit occurs if it's not fully primed.

The telltale would be if the dry hits go away with a few primer puffs before hitting the fire button again. If that works, then the wick is not re-wetting itself at 60W.

Reactions: Roboblake1991
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread