Harsher throat hit when using cotton in Kanger Protank

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanessaHuxtable

Sep 27, 2013
USA
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Mods please move it if it isn't.

I recently started using cotton as wick on my Kanger Protank II and Mini Protank II and have noticed a big increase in throat hit. The throat hit is so much in fact that it leaves me with a sore throat.

The flavor is amazing. But the throat hit is killing me. I vape 12mg Nic juice. When I put 6mg nic juice in the cotton wick, the throat hit is not as harsh. When I put 0mg Nic juice in the tank, it's a little light but I can vape all night with no sore throat... but where is my nic!!!

My question... in regards to throat hit what is your experience with cotton wicks in a Protank (or in general)... am I doing something wrong or is the throat hit supposed to increase that much? I'm a bit frustrated because I feel like I have seen the light as far as flavor increase and the joy of rebuilding my own coils, but the throat hit is so harsh that I can't vape any of my 12mg nic juices (which are 80% of the juices I currently have).

And so you guys know, I'm vaping on an iTaste MVP v2. My coils are usually made with 32 or 34 Kanthal at anywhere between 2.5 to 3ohms. I'm using Butcher's Twine 100% cotton as well as cotton balls for the wicks.

I'm going to leave this thread here and check back on it tomorrow after work. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

DesmondTheMoonbear

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2012
maryland
It sounds to me as if there might be something in the cotton you're using. Do you boil the cotton or twine before you install it as a wick? It is my understanding that (especially in the case of cotton balls) if you aren't using organic cotton, there can be chemicals in that cotton that might be causing this harshness.

Sent from the MOON, using Tapatalk MOON™

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
I still don't understand why people build with cotton. What's the advantage to it. You can simply buy some wick for pennies and use less or more of it to increase vape / taste. Is there suppose to be better taste with cotton? Seems to me, yes, you have no idea what's in a cotton ball. It's not designed for consumption, it's designed to get the makeup off your face or whatever. I would sterilize anything that I vaped through.

VanessaHuxtable

Sep 27, 2013
USA
It sounds to me as if there might be something in the cotton you're using. Do you boil the cotton or twine before you install it as a wick? It is my understanding that (especially in the case of cotton balls) if you aren't using organic cotton, there can be chemicals in that cotton that might be causing this harshness.

Sent from the MOON, using Tapatalk MOON™

I have boiled the cotton I have used for about half an hour (15 mins, change water, then boil for another 15) before use.

And you are probably right about that there might be something in the cotton. Even though the cotton I've used says 100% cotton, and the butchers twine is supposed to be unbleached, there might still be something in it that is causing the harshness. What's weird is that I figured that since I've used two different types of cotton that the harshness was just how cotton was vs. the type of cotton I've used. But who really knows what's in any of the cotton I've used.

Thanks for the response.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
And so you guys know, I'm vaping on an iTaste MVP v2. My coils are usually made with 32 or 34 Kanthal at anywhere between 2.5 to 3ohms. I'm using Butcher's Twine 100% cotton as well as cotton balls for the wicks.
1. I see no one has considered these factors as yet...

• You don't say what the volts or watts setting you have the MVP2 on. Around 5.5-7.5 watts for the 2.5Ω coil... less? More?
  • What is the PG/VG of you juice? High PG ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread