Has anybody ever broken a 510 drip tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magus86

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Myerstown, PA
So last night, I decided to clean my 510 atty for the first time in a while. I soak my atties in rubbing alcohol to clean them, and if I leave the drip tip on, it won't fit in the container I use. So, when I went to pull the drip tip off, the damn thing just snapped off just above the o-ring. Has anyone else ever had this happen, or am I the only one? I had soaked my drip tip in alcohol a bit too(to clean it when I was sick so I didn't keep giving the sickness back to myself by re-using a dirty drip tip). It's not metal, so I guess it's "delrin," whatever that is. Does anybody happen to know if alcohol weakens or breaks down the delrin? I had a camouflage "colored and twisted drip tip" from Nhaler.com.

Well, in any case, I ordered two more drip tips last night. This time, I'm getting anodized aluminum so they don't break again. I just hope that the aluminum doesn't get too hot. I also hope they get here before the weekend. At least I have my blu with a drip tip too. Cartridges just plain suck, and I don't know what I'd do if I had to go without vaping til I get my new tips.

Last edited:

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
From what I know of plastics, alcohol *shouldn't* weaken delrin, but I could be wrong. I do soak mine in alcohol sometimes and it hasn't broken. As far as broken drip tips, mostly when I've heard of it, it's been with other types of plastics, like those funky design plastic ones, but not the delrin.

That said, if you were sick with some kind of virus, you don't need to disinfect it. Your immune system will ensure you don't get the same bug again. :)

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
agreed.. delrin is pretty resilient... it also only comes in black, white, and a natural color... if it's another color or "twisted" it's a different type of plastic... the S&M comunity often uses delrin because of it's virtually unbreakable properties as well as it's anti-microbial properties and the ease it can be sanitized for some of their toys... ( I know because I make a lot of custom toys for that crowd and work with delrin a lot)

the same can't be said for some of the other plastics...which we're seeing alot of these tips made from...

and yes it seems to be common that that is the place where they break because it's cut thin to fit the o-ring and when you wiggle it to remove them you get breaks

Magus86

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Myerstown, PA
Ahh, okay, so apparently it's NOT delrin. It was a "colored twisted" one from Nhaler.com.

Yeah, it was a really snug fit in my 510 atty, so I guess the plastic just sucked. Oh well, lesson learned. Maybe sometime in the future, I'll try a delrin tip, if the aluminum ends up being too hot or something. I'm actually sort of glad this happened because I'd rather have a gold drip tip, which is what I got. I got a longer one like they sell on Volcano, and another short one just like the one I already had, except it's gold anodized aluminum instead of acrylic or whatever plastic the camo one I had was.

Magus86

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Myerstown, PA
Thanks for letting me know, Bert. I'll try to avoid that in the future. I did sort of notice a "drying" effect on the drip tips after soaking in alcohol. I just left a 306 drip tip on my blu atty and threw it in alcohol, and after it dried, it had like white spots(not spots as in how a dalmation is spotted, spots meaning areas) similar to how your hands look in winter if you wash them too much. Like you can "see" the dryness. That's why I thought the alcohol might have had something to do with it. Either way, I'll have to keep alcohol away from the o-rings on my new drip tips once they get here. Speaking of which, USPS really likes to take their time and not update the tracking info. How hard can it be/how long can it possibly take to scan a barcode? Half the time I have the package in my hands before it says it's even out for delivery... What's the damn point of even having tracking then anyway?

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA
i had one of the twisted ones from Nhaler break on me today. i had my SB in my pocket, pulled it out and the drip tip had snapped in half. it hadn't hit anything since i'd only taken a couple of drags off it a few minutes before this happened. i'm wondering if it got too hot from the LR atty. it was a really tight fit to get it in the atty and i hadn't removed yet (only used it for 3 days). i'm glad i was only using a single one on my DB cap so i just swapped to the second atty/tip that was in my desk.

i'm going to go back to the stainless ones from Puresmoker or maybe give the anodized aluminum ones a shot.

Last edited:

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
I've had one 510 and two 801 acrylic drip tips that broke off at the O ring. I can't say which supplier I purchased them from. But neither of the three lasted long enough to need soaking before breaking. The vendor did replace them but I had to pay their high shipping price.

I now use generic metal wide mouth 510 and 801 drip tips without any problem. I still use acrylic 306 drip tips but they don't have O rings as they fit over the atty.

Animeguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Virginia
I never broke my delrins. But I have broken my pyrex one. 2 days after using. Totally my fault tho. I was at work and kneeled beside a ladder,stood up not knowing it had went under a ladder rung, and I felt a thug on my knees and knew...so so sad.
I should have known better not to use that tip at work but it was just so nice to use. Gonna get more when I have more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread