Status
Not open for further replies.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I've never bought from them, but checked out their site before, and again just now.

I think they are playing with danger by throwing out phrases like "pharmaceutical" and "FDA labs". Could get them into trouble...almost like misleading information and giving the vape community a bad name. Just MHO.

misterholidayhouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2013
Central Oregon
I like RY4 and in the big RY4 thread Bloog's RY4 was listed as being the exaxt same juice as Volt RY4 from Smokeless Image, and was given an "A" rating. Unfortunately, and with me not knowing, this data was from 2011 and apparently Bloog is now using another supplier. Not knowing this, I ordered a 30ml bottle of the Bloog RY4 because Volt wasn't available for awhile.
Now I have had a few juices that didn't agree with my tastes and a few that were downright nasty.
I have read outrageous descriptions of juices tasting like gym socks, wet dog, musk animal glands, whatever, but had never really had anything truly that offensive myself.. Until I got the Bloog RY4. It was all of those things plus a few more. First juice that nearly made me vomit. There you go.

deanthemachine

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
OKC, OK
I didn't read pharmaceutical grade but did read pharmaceutical eliquid. Even if they did say pharmaceutical grade, all the ingredients in eliquid can be pharmaceutical grade - except maybe the flavors, not sure on that. I use pharmaceutical grade in my DIY (so not that big a stretch). Then reading their little bio they say they are the only one in the industry producing eliquid in a pharmacy using USP ingredients (pharmaceutical grade). Now I will leave the definition of a pharmacy and what it takes to call yourself a pharmacy up to the experts, but I imagine its like a mom and pop pharmacy that decides to make eliquid. I didnt see FDA lab but maybe I missed that or maybe FDA approved lab is required to own a pharmacy? They would be smart enough I would think to tread lightly when mentioning the FDA.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
What claims are you people concerned with? Be precise. If it is all true, no issue should be taken with the claims.

To my knowledge, until the plant that is slated to be up and running in VA (I think) no one is legally extracting nicotine in the US. I can't confirm that but I have heard more than one claim of it.

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
The ones mentioned above, plus some others in tweets and press releases which are mostly the same as what's on the site. Lots of references to FDA and pharmaceutical. Like I said, it's all probably correct, but it pushes that angle pretty hard. I'm not concerned, personally. In fact, I was more curious about how good the liquid tastes than anything.

Wes Keene

kottonmouth401

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2013
RI, USA
I used bloog for a while when i first started vaping. The juice they had at the time wasn't horrible, but certainly nothing to write home about. I tried two new flavors at a friend's house the other day: mingo (chocolate banana) and sweet lew (a cherry tobacco, i think). To me, they were still just so-so. I didn't really notice a major improvement in quality over their old stuff.

Edit: i just checked their site, and the two flavors i mentioned aren't part of their pharmaceutical "viquid" line, just new flavors.

Last edited:

misterholidayhouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2013
Central Oregon
I just checked the site. The whole Viquid thing is new since I bought mine a few months ago. The RY4 I bought is under the imported juices section. Last time I was there there was no distinction. I knew it was rebranded Chinese juice when I ordered. Looks like they are moving away from that image.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
The ones mentioned above, plus some others in tweets and press releases which are mostly the same as what's on the site. Lots of references to FDA and pharmaceutical. Like I said, it's all probably correct, but it pushes that angle pretty hard. I'm not concerned, personally. In fact, I was more curious about how good the liquid tastes than anything.

Wes Keene

There are 3 grades for most of the ingredients. Industrial - an example of that is when you hear people saying PG is an anti-freeze. Industrial grade PG is used as a de-icer for aircraft because it won't harm the environment but isn't fit for consumption. Food grade - generally recognized as safe to consume and less potential impurities than industrial grade. Pharmaceutical - should be obvious but meaning it can be used in medicines and in some instances, injected. Most recommend minimum of food grade but a lot of us that make our own liquid prefer pharmaceutical. I don't think my flavors are pharmaceutical but if good tasting at that grade exists, I'd rather use it (Flavor Apprentice if anyone knows).

I mix my stuff at a kitchen counter which I make sure is clean but I don't sterilize it. If I was making this stuff to sell, I'd meet FDA guidelines for a lab even if I didn't get it certified as such and I would expect anyone making stuff for sale to do so also. Even so, with potential regulations coming it is possible that may become a new standard because it does matter to some people.

I just don't see your issue. Am I missing something? If other companies have a problem with them advertising this way, they can do the same. It may take an up front investment but advertising the same way might make back that investment and some. I just can't see how that line of advertising hurts anything if it is true.

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
Thanks for the explanation, I didn't realize there was a grading system. As a person who might try to DIY some liquid someday, those tidbits are good to know.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I do not have a problem with them saying these specific things. I just felt that the overall impression came dangerously close to implying FDA approval for their product which could land them in hot water...not me. I don't care. I may try their product to see if it's good. I doubt others are going to do much to change their marketing to use the word "pharmaceutical" or "FDA" as much as they have, for fear of the wrath of the FDA, though.

Wes

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I didn't read pharmaceutical grade but did read pharmaceutical eliquid. Even if they did say pharmaceutical grade, all the ingredients in eliquid can be pharmaceutical grade - except maybe the flavors, not sure on that. I use pharmaceutical grade in my DIY (so not that big a stretch). Then reading their little bio they say they are the only one in the industry producing eliquid in a pharmacy using USP ingredients (pharmaceutical grade). Now I will leave the definition of a pharmacy and what it takes to call yourself a pharmacy up to the experts, but I imagine its like a mom and pop pharmacy that decides to make eliquid. I didnt see FDA lab but maybe I missed that or maybe FDA approved lab is required to own a pharmacy? They would be smart enough I would think to tread lightly when mentioning the FDA.

My point exactly. All they have to do is use words like "Pharmaceutical" and "FDA" and the waters are muddled.

Nothing wrong with it if it's true of course...but it just made me uncomfortable I guess with all the pending legislation and bad juju that is already associated with vaping to those that don't know what they don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread