Has Anyone Seen The Blu E-Cig TV Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny D

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2012
Seymour, CT USA
Watching some TV last night around 10:45 EST and to my surprise I see a TV commercial I've never seen before; The Blu E-Cig. The thing that bothered me the most, vaping was referred to as SMOKING. At one point the "smoker" mentioned that he was inhaling vapors and not smoke but kept saying he could smoke in his fave restaurant, car, home, and outside with no consequence. In my mind I feel that calling vaping smoking is just bad for vapers everywhere. I wish I knew what to call it so that it was seen in a positive light. The word vaping could be misleading and negative. Some of the uninformed could misconstrue vaping as some kind of new drug ingestion method. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Kenny

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Just watched the commercial, I actually like the commercial. I do wish they actually called it vaping, because.... it's not smoking when there is no smoke. Nothing to do with creating a counter culture more to do with protecting the electronic cigarette industry. Also... pushing electronic cigarettes as a "way to get away with smoking" in places you should not is a seriously bad double edged sword, that gives fuel to ASH as a reason to create bans on what most everybody here agrees, they love. I like the commercial but am having mixed feelings.

Last edited:

KDude

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2012
Texas
I don't think it makes that much of a difference. If anything, vaping will turn more heads as a word, simply because it's new, specialized jargon. They know what "smoking" is however. It's straightforward.

The bottom line with vaping though is that it's safer. You don't have to call it vaping for anyone to understand that. They can think. I think it's just the vaping community that wants to distance itself so far from smoking as to create another culture around it. Even to the point that many here say they hate tobacco. They are the wrong people to be speaking for ecigarettes then. Because many people like "smoking tobacco". They aren't just enslaved to it. They like it. So giving them a way to "smoke tobacco", yet a lot more safe, will appeal. Using much of the same jargon helps there. Along with recreating flavors and sensations and general feel. Handing them a hookah like DCT tube with non tobacco and telling them it's some thing called "vaping" is just alienating smokers. Not helping.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I agree with the OP. If your doctor asks you "do you smoke?"...what do you say? The answer is "no... but I use nicotine...(etc.)".

So why do professional companies, in business for e-cigs, use the term "smoke"? It's very short sighted, IMO. There is no smoke involved. There are even some vendors that I've avoided because they use that term. It gives me the impression that "If they don't know the difference, they are crap, stupid or manipulative." And I don't mean the company/brand name... although that's short sighted too. I mean in context of discussion/dialog.

This could have real-world insurance implications, for example. Classification IS important, IMO.

Throwing that term around to an uninformed user base makes the problem worse with the anti-smoking crowd, IMO. I'm not even going to comment further on the "do it everywhere" thing and the bus incident in the UK.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Blu or rather Lorrilard is doing our community no favors. First their product is one of the worst on the market. Second, calling it smoking instead of the accurate and much more acceptable term of vaping is like waving a red flag in front of the ANTZ's. From the minute I learned that Lorrilard bought Blu, my gut told me that there would be much more negative results from a tobacco company buying a vaping company than any possible positive results. Lorrilard will try it's best to tie us all to the "smoking stake" in their attempts to make vaping just another form of smoking. One more reason to not vape on any device that looks anything like an analog to better distance us from Lorrilard and smoking.

KDude

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2012
Texas
Is this the commercial?

blu Electronic Cigarette TV Commercial - blu e-cigs National TV Commercial - YouTube

I don't see anything offensive about that one. If anything, it's just cheesy. I find more offense in coming to some of these vaping forums and get called a "sheep" for some of the equipment I use. Not necessarily this one, but some vaping communities is like hanging around hipster subcultures. Too much elitism.

Angi2299

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2012
W'ford, TX
Is this the commercial?

blu Electronic Cigarette TV Commercial - blu e-cigs National TV Commercial - YouTube

I don't see anything offensive about that one. If anything, it's just cheesy. I find more offense in coming to some of these vaping forums and get called a "sheep" for some of the equipment I use. Not necessarily this one, but some vaping communities is like hanging around hipster subcultures. Too much elitism.

I hope no one here acts like that. There are always going to be fanboys/fangirls. Good luck and hurry up and order that (insert favorite/expensive device of the moment).............. HeeHee

KDude

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2012
Texas
I hope no one here acts like that. There are always going to be fanboys/fangirls. Good luck and hurry up and order that (insert favorite/expensive device of the moment).............. HeeHee

No, not here. One site I just visited had post after post knocking a device I used though, as if it was made for "sheep" (The joye ecab). You can google ecab reviews. Similar comments made against ego devices too. It just makes me wonder if these people are just so entrenched in some kind of "culture of vaping", that they've lost all perspective on the bottom line (the bottom line being, to quit smoking). Vapers are building walls around themselves with stuff that means nothing to the outside world. Devices, voltages, jargon. And it's not a good platform from which to promote vaping either. I think if any of this stuff helps people, no matter how "newbish" the device, or what "language" is used, all the better. It's not like it magically changes the vaping experience to an inferior one.

TTK

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Johnson City, TN
The commercial seems fairly innocuous to me. Blu's business model is to appeal to smokers who have never tried vaping and their product as a replacement for cigarettes, thus the term smoking, which is what the potential customer knows. They would fail miserably with their current products if they marketed their product to existing experienced vapers. And on forums like this, there are always those who have a life long goal of searching out every post about Blu to make certain they get to say how bad the product is.... which it isn't for certain people.

Kenny D

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2012
Seymour, CT USA
i like the fact that theyre making vaping known. i think associating vaping with smoking is better than what most people think im doing when im vaping. everyone always thinks im doing something illegal. once they find out that its nicotine, it seems to be no big deal.

Good point Kemosabe. I guess now that I'm non smoker I just don't like the term smoking associated with vaping. As I said in the original post, I don't like the term vaping either. Just my opinion.

Kenny

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
No, not here. One site I just visited had post after post knocking a device I used though, as if it was made for "sheep" (The joye ecab). You can google ecab reviews. Similar comments made against ego devices too. It just makes me wonder if these people are just so entrenched in some kind of "culture of vaping", that they've lost all perspective on the bottom line (the bottom line being, to quit smoking). Vapers are building walls around themselves with stuff that means nothing to the outside world. Devices, voltages, jargon. And it's not a good platform from which to promote vaping either. I think if any of this stuff helps people, no matter how "newbish" the device, or what "language" is used, all the better. It's not like it magically changes the vaping experience to an inferior one.

I'm not familar with the ecab so I will not comment on it. But being a "newb", you are not aware of the crap models many of us had to put up with to get to this point. You also are probably not aware of the thousands of posts that many of us vets have read by newbs ready to go back to smoking due to the poor performance of models like the Blu. I personally have talked with over 10 people who called vaping just another scam due to the poor performance of many of the cig look-a-like models.

For most of us, our goal is to help people transition to vaping successfully and we know what works the best and what doesn't based on years of experience. I'm sure there are some mini-models that will work for some people. I even recommend the Volt if someone "must" have a cig sized model. But most of us are going to recommend models that we know work well for the majortiy, not ones tailored for the light social smoker.

And in the fight (and it is a fight) to distance ourselves from smoking and keep from having vaping banned across the country, the less we talk or look like what we do is smoking, the better. So you thinking that a commercial that makes vaping look like smoking is "OK", is not the image we want the uniformed to walk away with when they see someone vaping.

I would suggest you go to the CASAA web site, join and support CASAA if you want vaping to continue in this country without significant restrictions and bans. Plus you can learn what we have been fighting for and struggling with for years.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
i like the fact that theyre making vaping known. i think associating vaping with smoking is better than what most people think im doing when im vaping. everyone always thinks im doing something illegal. once they find out that its nicotine, it seems to be no big deal.

I vape a Darwin in front of cops and deputies almost every day and no one has ever accused me of doing anything illegal. Vaping openly and respectfully with models that don't look like an analog has served many of us well in educating the uninformed. And I don't care what people think as long as they don't think I am smoking. So if you think that having people think that smoking and vaping are the same is a good thing, in the long run, that is the fastest way to have more banneds inacted across the country.

KDude

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2012
Texas
I'm not familar with the ecab so I will not comment on it. But being a "newb", you are not aware of the crap models many of us had to put up with to get to this point. .

I'm aware of most of it already. I'm sort of playing devil's advocate. I may be a newb, but I'm already a tinkerer and decent researcher in my own right (generally speaking). So I guess I try to steer myself clear of bad things. I don't think companies like Blu are even close to "bad", as far as business practices or shoddy products go. There are far worse things. Their main problem is being a little old and having an outdated battery system. It's no different than many companies selling older 510 type models. It's a flaw, but not a flaw when it was originally released. They just need to upgrade at this point. Their juices are Johnson Creek. New users could do a lot worse. People recommend some KR8 brands around here who ship Chinese made juices that aren't necessarilly better than Johnson Creek. The only newbie geared kit that really blows it away is Halo's.

Doublexl85

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Tacoma, Washington
I have nothing against the Blu company, they even helped switch a coworker to vaping, but I do wish there ad was a little more informative to the unknowing public. And if you want to talk about companies that are doing harm to the cause I would say it those nasty hardly working ones they sell in convenience stores for $20. People try them and say, "This is horrible, why would I wanna switch?" Too bad Joye tech, Provari, or one of those companies can't do a commercial campaign.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I'm aware of most of it already. I'm sort of playing devil's advocate. I may be a newb, but I'm already a tinkerer and decent researcher in my own right (generally speaking). So I guess I try to steer myself clear of bad things. I don't think companies like Blu are even close to "bad", as far as business practices or shoddy products go. There are far worse things. Their main problem is being a little old and having an outdated battery system. It's no different than many companies selling older 510 type models. It's a flaw, but not a flaw when it was originally released. They just need to upgrade at this point. Their juices are Johnson Creek. New users could do a lot worse. People recommend some KR8 brands around here who ship Chinese made juices that aren't necessarilly better than Johnson Creek. The only newbie geared kit that really blows it away is Halo's.

Blu could have upgraded their whole line a long time ago but had no intention of doing so. I actually emailed Healy, the owner who sold the company to Lorrilard. His response to me was that Blu has the best batteries and overall product of any PV on the market. And I mentioned ones like the Kgo, Darwin, E-Power, etc and he stated the Blu outperformed those models, lol. Blu puts 90% of their money into two things: their pockets and advertizing. They never intended to "upgrade" anything. And Healy has gone on record stating that all vaping eliquid should be in sealed, non-refillable carts only and in the size that fits the Blu standard. So if you think Blu is not "close to bad", then you are naive. There is a reason why the negative to positive posts about Blu easily runs 100 - 1 on the various vaping sites. And it has nothing to do with "elitism".

Last edited:

KDude

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2012
Texas
Blu could have upgraded their whole line a long time ago but had no intention of doing so. I actually emailed Healy, the owner who sold the company to Lorrilard. His response to me was that Blu has the best batteries and overall product of any PV on the market. And I mentioned ones like the Kgo, Darwin, E-Power, etc and he stated the Blu outperformed those models, lol. Blu puts 90% of their money into two things: their pockets and advertizing. They never intended to "upgrade" anything. And Healy has gone on record stating that all vaping eliquid should be in sealed, non-refillable carts only and in the size that fits the Blu standard. So if you think Blu is not "close to bad", then you are naive. There is a reason why the negative to positive posts about Blu easily runs 100 - 1 on the various vaping sites. And it has nothing to do with "elitism".

Lmao. We're right in the same section of a thread about Totally Wicked causing a shutdown of a forum community, and you're calling me naive on what's "bad". When I say bad, I mean some real injustices. Either that, or companies who deliver broken products or don't deliver anything at all, and engaging in credit card fraud. There are so many worse things an unsuspecting customer can experience. I'm just trying to put it into perspective. Sure Blu has all the makings of a opportunistic mainstream affair, with inferior technologies that they aren't upfront on, but it's not a travesty. Go ahead and call me naive though. You obviously have an axe to grind. Get it out of your system. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread