Not open for further replies.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
images

(Choo tawking ta me? - I'll Crush You ) Really??​

OMG Guys, is there really need for such Fighting Talk (I know more than you/ read more than you/ write more than you) Really!!
After all, aren't we all here for the same reasons, we smoked, we now vape, some would like to learn, some want to educate, nobody wants to be force fed. Same team remember?

So what if an advert is out there, more power to them, it's making people notice, there are other things out there - Different Methods. They are not trapped in an only smoke tobacco world or stick on a patch, or suck on a lozenge. People are asking questions, it's creating curiosity. Even if it's an inferior product, people will investigate, ask friends, visit these forums or read articles/ blogs to find out more. Think back on how you first began vaping, and the devices some of you own/ed, speaks for itself. You just can't take the - What If (bad things will happen)- approach - with Tobacco company involvement, and in the mainstream, I can't see Joe Public wanting to mess about with liquids and tanks etc. Sealed carts are a valid option an effective safety option. Of course the ability to choose your method/ tanks liquids etc. should also remain available. Shucks guy's, what if the earth is really round??

And finally the vaping thang... What do you want to call it??
Most people move on from calling it smoking pretty fast, they move on from e-cig to PV or Twist, GG, Provari whatever it is they are using in the moment. But the "I don't even like referring to "it" as vaping!" really gets me, what do you want to call it? If you have a better term -come right out with it! They are after all personal vaporourisers, they produce vapour, we vape... I have my listening cap on... ;)

apbtdog1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2012
East TN
As "Kay1959" said the bottom line is $$$$$ to Blu. I don't know anything about advertsing and i'm sure its hard to hit on every thing positive about "eCigs" on a minute long commercial but again, as "Kay1959" said i'm shocked they are able to even put that on tv being that it's a advertisement for a nicotine device but it's a start. Maybe we'll see more advertising of eCigs and maybe they'll air a few commercials aimed at "vapers." I seemed this commercial as aimed at people who have never tried a eCig before. I've not had any experience with "Blu" but just from the things i've heard/read i think i'm gonna steer clear of them. Hehe! When i hear "prepackaged" cartridges sealed with eJuice already inside i think of FDA regulations and that definitely NOT the direction i would like to see eCigs go........ (i say i wouldn't want the FDA to get involved and that's just from what i've heard/read would likey happen if they was to get involved in regulating eCigs but it may be something that has to be done one day but for now it just doesn't seem like a good idea for the consumer)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Firstly, I'm REALLY surprised they are allowed to advertise on tv!
They can air such advertisements because electronic cigarettes are not yet officially a tobacco product.
If the FDA has their way, and extends Chapter IX of the FSPTCA to cover electronic cigarettes, we may not see any more such commercials.

Oh, and we may see them come after flavors.
And we may see them come after bottled juice.
And we may see them come after internet sales.

And we need to be aware, and realize that we can do something about this.
So keep reading these Electronic Cigarette News subforums, because this is where we fight for vapers.

And everyone that teaches someone else about electronic cigarettes is making a difference too.
Whether that be friends, family, co-workers, or complete strangers.

We'll need as many of them as we can get on our side when the it hits the fan.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
.............. Of course the ability to choose your method/ tanks liquids etc. should also remain available...............

That is one of the main issues. If the former president of Blu has his way and the FDA, this option will be taken away.

But I guess we should just accept that and do nothing.

TTK

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Johnson City, TN
I believe right now, Blu is determining which battles they believe they can win with the FDA and which they are not likely to win. They will place their resources into those they believe they can win and those that are part of what Blu sells. I have not heard every public word spoken by Jason Healy, but on his click-bang interview he said he believe that flavors can be defended(Blu has flavors). He also said that bottled liquid is more difficult to defend(Blu has no bottled eliquid). But, he said that bottled eliquid is like "roll your own" tobacco. I think the most likely scenario is that the FDA will ban all bottled eliquid with nicotine above a certain percentage. But, I don't expect Blu to defend everything related to vaping that is not a part of the Blu product offerings.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I believe right now, Blu is determining which battles they believe they can win with the FDA and which they are not likely to win. They will place their resources into those they believe they can win and those that are part of what Blu sells. I have not heard every public word spoken by Jason Healy, but on his click-bang interview he said he believe that flavors can be defended(Blu has flavors). He also said that bottled liquid is more difficult to defend(Blu has no bottled eliquid). But, he said that bottled eliquid is like "roll your own" tobacco. I think the most likely scenario is that the FDA will ban all bottled eliquid with nicotine above a certain percentage. But, I don't expect Blu to defend everything related to vaping that is not a part of the Blu product offerings.

Blu is NOT our friend. They are all about the money, NOT about the quality of the product or what the experienced vaping consumer wants or needs.

TTK

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Johnson City, TN
Blu is NOT our friend. They are all about the money, NOT about the quality of the product or what the experienced vaping consumer wants or needs.

I don't believe I indicated that they were our friend. Blu is a company and they will do what they feel will keep them a profitable company, that's all. And in that regard, they are not much different than any other company. They just happened to be a company that ignored your advice and you get into a "sweat" whenever Blu is mentioned, and start a crusade.
And just so we have something to agree on, I agree they are not after the "experienced vaping consumer" with their current products.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I don't believe I indicated that they were our friend. Blu is a company and they will do what they feel will keep them a profitable company, that's all. And in that regard, they are not much different than any other company. They just happened to be a company that ignored your advice and you get into a "sweat" whenever Blu is mentioned, and start a crusade.
And just so we have something to agree on, I agree they are not after the "experienced vaping consumer" with their current products.

And when they join and support the FDA in having all eliquid in sealed carts be the only option for people who vape, people like you who think they are just another harmless company should be fine with that.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
Guy's I'm not an American and perhaps this specific argument doesn't pertain to me or my country's circumstances, however, what is often allowed/ passed/ accepted/ dismissed by the FDA often affects the rest of the world with regard to legislation of products, pharma etc. in their countries.

What I'm having difficulty in understanding is, why the belief is:

If Big Tobacco gets involved it will change the scope of Vaping for the Worse.
Surely, we all understand that this method will in time, surpass Smoking in the conventional sense.

I apologise if you are all cringing at the reference to smoking, but right now Joe Bloggs doesn't know about vaping or the 'correct terminology' or vapers etiquette.

Big Tobacco, are commercially led, with all the infrastructure to promote, distribute and advertise product. They won't be interested in liquids, syringes and tanks.
Litigation and the American ' I'll sue you ' culture will prevent them from doing so. They've had their fingers burnt already, one hopes they will be better prepared second time around.

He also said that bottled liquid is more difficult to defend(Blu has no bottled eliquid). But, he said that bottled eliquid is like "roll your own" tobacco. I think the most likely scenario is that the FDA will ban all bottled eliquid with nicotine above a certain percentage.
I for one, agree with the 'roll your own' analogy.
As far as purchasing e-liquid under a certain percentages is concerned, it this so bad? Surely, you must be able to the safety argument in this.
As far as Sealed carts are concerned, if products are mass produced, again, the risks have to be minimised.

Perhaps we are all over the age of 18, but these products will fall into the hands of teenagers, just as soon as it becomes mainstream, surely we must see the bigger picture, or at least recognise it exists.

At present Big Tobacco are aiming for the general smoker, who just wants to pop down to the shop, cafe, petrol station, and buy a pack of smokes - only e-cigs will become the preferred option.

The problems will arise, when Government recognises they are not profiting enough from these products, at least not as much as they were from Customs and Excise/ tobacco taxes, and they will seek new forms of taxing - how much they choose to tax will be the issue.

So let's not worry too much about Big Tobacco, and worry more about BIG Government Taxes.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The reality is the FDA will not approve of "Loose Liquids".
In quotes because that is what was mentioned in the interview.
Ya just can't control and regulate juice in bottles. Way too many
variables including contamination.

We live in the "golden age" of e-smoking with all the choices
available to us ... which allows all to find exactly what is our
"best fit" and what we like best keeps evolving.

Even if all the vendors united and got organized to fight for
"loose liquids" ... wouldn't make any difference. Loose liquids
just isn't going to be part of the e-smoking "mainstream" future.

By the way ... I drip and love bottled juices (my preference)

TTK

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Johnson City, TN
The reality is the FDA will not approve of "Loose Liquids".
In quotes because that is what was mentioned in the interview.
Ya just can't control and regulate juice in bottles. Way too many
variables including contamination.

We live in the "golden age" of e-smoking with all the choices
available to us ... which allows all to find exactly what is our
"best fit" and what we like best keeps evolving.

Even if all the vendors united and got organized to fight for
"loose liquids" ... wouldn't make any difference. Loose liquids
just isn't going to be part of the e-smoking "mainstream" future.

By the way ... I drip and love bottled juices (my preference)

Exactly what do you mean by "Loose Liquids"? Do you mean totally uncontrolled(by regulations) bottled liquid sold through the internet from non FDA regulated shops? Or, does "Loose Liquid" also include bottled liquid produced in a FDA regulated facility bought from a walk-in store ?
I never buy pre filled cartos and use bottled liquid now. You may be right about the golden age of vaping.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
As far as Sealed carts are concerned, if products are mass produced, again, the risks have to be minimised.
If Big Tobacco wants to produce only sealed, prefilled cartomizers, that's perfectly fine.
But if they sell out to the FDA and we lose the ability to have anything other than sealed, prefilled cartomizers, that is not okay.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
..........As far as purchasing e-liquid under a certain percentages is concerned, it this so bad? Surely, you must be able to the safety argument in this.
As far as Sealed carts are concerned, if products are mass produced, again, the risks have to be minimised.......

So basically you are stating and agreeing that only being able to buy eliquid in sealed carts, with 2mg & 4mg nicotine strength (same as nic gum & patches) in tobacco flavor only is a good thing. You will be fine with that. That will push thousands back to smoking. Another big win for the tobacco companies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
.... Or, does "Loose Liquid" also include bottled liquid produced in a FDA regulated facility bought from a walk-in store ? .........

In what alternate universe would this occur?? The FDA, whose continued stated goal is to ban vaping, is our friend. The same FDA that was recently exposed for secretly spying on it's employees who were writing letters to congressmen about problems at the FDA. And yet, CASAA, the only non-profit group fighting for vapers, can't get enough people who vape to support their efforts. Why is that???? Maybe CASAA should stop all of it's efforts on our behalf. Maybe the FDA will keep us safe and warm.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
My personal Opinion is that the days of buying Bottled e-Liquids in its current form are numbered. Untested, Unregulated and Untaxed. This just isn’t going to continue too much longer in My Opinion.

Will Bottled e-Liquids be Completely Banned? I don’t think so. Because the Desire to Reap Taxes will Trump All Else.

If Bottled e-Liquid are going be sold in the future that they will include at least the following.

Baseline Quality Standards of Nicotine Base
Approved Flavorings
Standardize Labeling
Child Proof Caps
And a Big Fat Tax Stamp on the Lid.

I also feel that Bottled e-Liquids will be sold in the same way Cigarettes are sold. By people who have filled the Necessary Forms and Fees with the ATF and Comply with all the Fed, State and Local laws regarding Sale of Tobacco Products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread