Has anyone tried a KR808 battery in their 901?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
After reading about Scottbee's battery voltage tests, I started wondering if the trouble I'm having with my 901 attys might be related to underpowered stock batteries.

Has anyone tried the KR808 batteries with their 901 attys? Just wondering if the claimed higher voltage helped the 901 attys burn better or longer. With stock auto batteries mine tend to drop off pretty quick performance-wise and even after cleaning they don't vape correctly unless I throw them on a big battery mod.

Let me know if you've tried them and how they compare.... thanks!

tulsatggr

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Missouri USA
I was just this very minute remarking to hubby the difference between the v4l manual batts vs. my original 901 auto batts. with the V4L man batts I noticed the atty's burning hotter, less flavor, very strong throat hit and lots of vape. I just now put the atty back on the 901 batt that had been sitting here a few days (i rarely use the 901 auto batt anymore cause I like to drip) the flavor was back and the th wasnt near as harsh. Even the cartomizer have a harsher th with the v4l manuals than with the 901 batt/adapter. I'll have to think about this...what do you think?

btw, the v4l man batts used to last a long time, but after a month now that has begun to decrease. I still think they last longer than the 901 auto I have.

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I was just this very minute remarking to hubby the difference between the v4l manual batts vs. my original 901 auto batts. with the V4L man batts I noticed the atty's burning hotter, less flavor, very strong throat hit and lots of vape. I just now put the atty back on the 901 batt that had been sitting here a few days (i rarely use the 901 auto batt anymore cause I like to drip) the flavor was back and the th wasnt near as harsh. Even the cartomizer have a harsher th with the v4l manuals than with the 901 batt/adapter. I'll have to think about this...what do you think?

btw, the v4l man batts used to last a long time, but after a month now that has begun to decrease. I still think they last longer than the 901 auto I have.

Tulsatggr,

Have you noticed that the hotter-burning attys gunk up less (and thus need cleaning less often)? I'm working on a theory that running my attys at less than 3.7v is letting unburned juice build up, knocking down their performance.

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
just tried it and I have to say the K808 battery seems hotter but the throat hit is almost too harsh even on a topped off cart. The stock battery seems to give me a richer flavor, great vapor but pleasant throat hit. I'll stick to the stock battery.

Mmm that's odd because the voltage from the KR808 battery shouldn't be any higher than the 14500 battery in my Bartleby, and it vapes fine and tasty with a 901 atty.

I just ordered my batts from HG so it'll be a week or so before I can try it myself. Even ordered a few of those monster 380mAh beauties. My e-cig is gonna look like a slim-jim with that thing attached. :p

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
As far as I read it, Scott's findings did not relate to the 901 batteries, only 510. So there is no reason that the 901 battery should not deliver 3,7v as well.
However, it is a slightly older model, and I heard a lot of people have troubles with their 901 batteries. And since the KR8 batteries are usually regarded as very good, and fit natively, just get yourself one or two and try them.

Just don't expect too much, voltage is most likely pretty much the same.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Mmm that's odd because the voltage from the KR808 battery shouldn't be any higher than the 14500 battery in my Bartleby, and it vapes fine and tasty with a 901 atty.

I just ordered my batts from HG so it'll be a week or so before I can try it myself. Even ordered a few of those monster 380mAh beauties. My e-cig is gonna look like a slim-jim with that thing attached. :p
If you've ordered the manuals I'd like to know how they work switch-wise. I don't know if it's just mine but the barely protruding button takes quite a firm press to activate. Nothing like the button on a Joye batt. At least there is no way it would activate accidentally.

Does anybody else experience the same thing?

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
As far as I read it, Scott's findings did not relate to the 901 batteries, only 510. So there is no reason that the 901 battery should not deliver 3,7v as well.
However, it is a slightly older model, and I heard a lot of people have troubles with their 901 batteries. And since the KR8 batteries are usually regarded as very good, and fit natively, just get yourself one or two and try them.

Just don't expect too much, voltage is most likely pretty much the same.

Based on the performance difference between my 901 auto batts and my Bartleby/Little Chuck I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm probably not getting 3.7v out of the factory batteries. I don't have the equipment to do an actual voltage test, but the difference is quite noticeable.

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
If you've ordered the manuals I'd like to know how they work switch-wise. I don't know if it's just mine but the barely protruding button takes quite a firm press to activate. Nothing like the button on a Joye batt. At least there is no way it would activate accidentally.

Does anybody else experience the same thing?

I ordered the auto's because that's what I'm used to. I thought about getting a few manuals but I've read too much in the forums about stuck buttons on manuals in general.

brandon555

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2010
Wisconsin

You're gonna love the 380 battery. I have one of the manual 380s with a 10 second cutoff and it is a vapor monster. Easily better than the standard KR8 auto batt.

The extra battery life keeps it working better for longer.

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Got my order in from HG a few days ago. I don't have a meter to test them with, but it's pretty obvious that both the 280mAh and 380mAh KR auto batts are giving me more power to the atty than my standard 901 autos. While the vapor production with the 380 monster is impressive, I'm not sure it's practical with an overall length of 6 1/4" assembled. :p

Kinda cool for around the house, though. :)

p.s. I've charged both KR batts on my 901 usb charger (and my PCC) and they work fine.

ragnarokstar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2010
Florence, Kentucky, United States
I use a V4L battery on my Totally Wicked atties. They are harsher but last longer and give better vapor. But, yes i go use up alot more juice and have a harsher TH. But it has a PCC that evens out my complaints. So it's all good. I vape all day and and as long as I have a bottle of juice, it's all good.

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
My first e-cig was a KR808D-1. When I discovered the threads matched the 901, I picked up a 901 atty and paired it with a standard KR8 280mAh batt. I really enjoyed the 901 so I bought a kit which came with 180mAh batts. While a stock batts get the job done, they are not even close to the KR8 280s. I was spoiled. Trying to use stock 901 batts just didn't do it for me.

Then I hooked up the 380mAh KR8 mega batt to a 901 atty. I felt like I was in a van with Jeff Spicoli. "Did you hear that? ...that was my skull!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread