Has anyone tried the AGA Tiamat PLUS w/Glass Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecGuru

Verified Member
Nov 22, 2012
Pittsburgh
It's on my "bench" now. First impressions are positive. For AGA-T users, it seems like it is a slight upgrade.

Some negatives? The glass is not the best. Seems like there are a lot of small chips on the edges and is very rough. The center post seems smaller, but could be perception.

Positives? The wick hole is in a slightly better place.

I'll have more tomorrow.

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Methuen, MA
One of my AGA-T+ arrived late this afternoon.
positive impressions are: Built solid, all stainless steel, top cap stays on firmly, can now align the air hole and vapes great with the setup I have, which is using the SS wick that came with it ( I didn't oxidize it) and some 32 gauge Kanthal A1. I have a 4/3 wrap at 2.1 ohms and vaping it right now at 6.5 watts on a VAMO V2 on RMS. I have a 50/50 PG/VG in the tank and it's wicking great with the juice fill hole screw out.
I'm really impressed for the money.
A few negative impressions but minor are: The fill hole screw was very tight (had a hell of time getting it off), wish the wick hole was closer to the positive pole (struggled a little to get rid of the hot spot on top coil) and the draw is a little tight for my likeing. Tomorrow I'll probably open the hole up a little to get the draw slightly less tight.
Overall I like it and would recommend it. I'm using it with the glass tank and unlike one of the above comments to the contrary the bottom and top on my glass tank is smooth. Happy vaping.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Vaping one right now. Opened the air hole to 3/64", removed the silica wick post (new fill hole), and started vaping.

Only complaint so far is that the center post can turn on you when you are screwing the atty onto your APV. This can pull or push your wraps depending on how you wrap the wire around the post.

dablackanarch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2008
Seattle, USA
I got my Tiamat today (hella fast shipping, Eric) and set to work. Now this is my first time building a SS wick and coil but, I've rebuilt heads for a Vivi Nova quite a few times so, I blazed forward...literally. Busted out the new Bernzomatic torch and oxidized the living .... outta my stainless steel mesh. I then rolled it up like a spliff and torched it again just for giggles.

Meanwhile, I discovered a little trick. The center post works well to wrap a coil on! That's right. I wrapped my coil on the center post with the cap off. Worked beautifully. So with the coil built and the wick charcoaled, I put my plans in the making. I put the Tiamat+ on one of my KGO batteries and fired it. I brushed the coils until they all lit up evenly then put it on the Vamo to get an ohm read. A perfect 1.5 ohms! Damn it sucks to be this awesome.

I screwed the wick into the coils and brushed the coils again to check for hot spots. Not a one to be found. Then I filled my tank with ECBLEND's New Red Box menthol 24mg, 70/30 PG/VG. I don't have a drill so I couldn't bore out the air hole. I offset the air hole slightly to increase the throat hit and lit her up. I was not prepared, people. Genesis style attys are fog machines! I was hit straight in the face with a cloud of vapor and the throat hit was decent. I know jack about breaking in an SS wick so, we'll see if the throat hit increases.

So, let's look at my pros and cons.
Pros: the build quality is second to none, it looks great, vapes like a steam engine and is (if you're experienced and/or watch YouTube videos really closely) easy to set up and use. It's sturdy, solid and heavy!

Cons: there's only one. My glass tank doesn't fit. The OD is about a mm too big. It won't sit in the base for me to seal it. Le sigh.

All in all, a pretty kick ... first timer experience with a genesis style atty brought to you by Gormly, DiscountVapers, and the letter "T"!

Edit: here's a pic of it on my Vamo. Again, 1.5 ohm Kanthal 28 awg coil with a 400 SS mesh wick.

Last edited:

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
Also ordered a T+ to supplement my -T.

It's on my "bench" now. First impressions are positive. For AGA-T users, it seems like it is a slight upgrade.

Some negatives? The glass is not the best. Seems like there are a lot of small chips on the edges and is very rough. The center post seems smaller, but could be perception.

Positives? The wick hole is in a slightly better place.

I'll have more tomorrow.

Maybe worth getting a replacement from IBTanked if they are that bad. I want to get some custom painting done on one by them.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
I got mine in yesterday. It's solid and looks great on my SS ZMax2.
Picture 59.jpg (Not related, Just started "cubing" a week ago and got my average below two minutes, and my record at 56 seconds. Cheesy, lol.)

Washed everything in hot soapy water and dried prior to assembly to remove machine oiled used in the manufacturing process..
Glass tank does have some minor flaws on cut edges, but not seen once installed.
I had to gently rock the glass tank back n forth to get it to sit flush on the bottom O-ring, the rest went together great.

Paid close attention to even coil wrap spacing when wrapping it:
Wrapped 30g kanthal (4/5 @ wrap @ 1.5Ω) clockwise up a 3/32" drill bit (will use 7/64" next time). Wrapped around negative screw counter-clockwise and around positive post clockwise. (Kanthal forms an "S" between post and wick on both + and -). On positive post, I wrapped all the way around post, snugged up coils, tightened the nut, then wrapped the tail around the coil wire 3 times and cut it off at the wick:
Crayon drawing for clarity:
Twisted wire.jpg
(EDIT, wow, description and drawing totally backwards. Negative lead wraps clockwise around screw, to left of wick coiled clockwise up, to right side of positive post counter-clockwise.)
This resulted in ZERO hot spots.

I had to leave the fill screw out even with my wick not filling 100% of the wick hole. (Vapor-lock prevented proper wicking).

Rolled the SS mesh that came with the "T2" so as not to waste it. Because it was such a small piece, I rolled it around a piece of 1mm rod. I don't prefer hollow wicks but oh well, it would not have made a solid one and still fill the hole.
I oxidized my wick on the gas stove, x3, no quenching, Dripped old juice and burned x 3, no quenching. Lowest reading I got on the meter was 40kΩ. Slid it into coil. (A solid wick will go on another time)

The air-hole sits about dead center (height wise) with the middle positive post screw when they are all tightened down (fixed height), and is adjustable radially where ever you want it. Very easy to tweak as you can see the wick in the tank and the air-hole above it.

Fired it up, zero hot-spots, zero adjustments needed.
The AGA-T+ vapes as well as you would expect, everyone has either used one or seen a video.
I had no wicking with the tank fill screw on, and adequate with it off.
Easy to set up.
My biggest disappointment is flavor muting. Time will tell if it related to break-in time, or the hollow wick. Using the same juice and power setting, swapping back and forth between my AGA=T+ and my IGO-L (all SS wick :) ) is night and day difference in flavor. An SS wicked IGO-L dripper will cut diamonds and produce pure clean flavor.

I will give it a couple of tanks of juice and barring seeing any good flavor, will make a real wick and see if that fixes it.

For solid construction, ease of use, quality/volume of vapor, and air-hole adjustments, I give (Random 1990 Wayan's brothers quote) "Three snaps in Z formation"

The jury is still out on flavor, Any input on that issue will be appreciated.

Last edited:

SecGuru

Verified Member
Nov 22, 2012
Pittsburgh
I got mine in yesterday. It's solid and looks great on my SS ZMax2.
View attachment 169318 (Not related, Just started "cubing" a week ago and got my average below two minutes, and my record at 56 seconds. Cheesy, lol.)

Washed everything in hot soapy water and dried prior to assembly to remove machine oiled used in the manufacturing process..
Glass tank does have some minor flaws on cut edges, but not seen once installed.
I had to gently rock the glass tank back n forth to get it to sit flush on the bottom O-ring, the rest went together great.

Paid close attention to even coil wrap spacing when wrapping it:
Wrapped 30g kanthal (4/5 @ wrap @ 1.5Ω) clockwise up a 3/32" drill bit (will use 7/64" next time). Wrapped around negative screw counter-clockwise and around positive post clockwise. (Kanthal forms an "S" between post and wick on both + and -). On positive post, I wrapped all the way around post, snugged up coils, tightened the nut, then wrapped the tail around the coil wire 3 times and cut it off at the wick:
Crayon drawing for clarity:
View attachment 169280
(EDIT, wow, description and drawing totally backwards. Negative lead wraps clockwise around screw, to left of wick coiled clockwise up, to right side of positive post counter-clockwise.)
This resulted in ZERO hot spots.

I had to leave the fill screw out even with my wick not filling 100% of the wick hole. (Vapor-lock prevented proper wicking).

Rolled the SS mesh that came with the "T2" so as not to waste it. Because it was such a small piece, I rolled it around a piece of 1mm rod. I don't prefer hollow wicks but oh well, it would not have made a solid one and still fill the hole.
I oxidized my wick on the gas stove, x3, no quenching, Dripped old juice and burned x 3, no quenching. Lowest reading I got on the meter was 40kΩ. Slid it into coil. (A solid wick will go on another time)

The air-hole sits about dead center (height wise) with the middle positive post screw when they are all tightened down (fixed height), and is adjustable radially where ever you want it. Very easy to tweak as you can see the wick in the tank and the air-hole above it.

Fired it up, zero hot-spots, zero adjustments needed.
The AGA-T+ vapes as well as you would expect, everyone has either used one or seen a video.
I had no wicking with the tank fill screw on, and adequate with it off.
Easy to set up.
My biggest disappointment is flavor muting. Time will tell if it related to break-in time, or the hollow wick. Using the same juice and power setting, swapping back and forth between my AGA=T+ and my IGO-L (all SS wick :) ) is night and day difference in flavor. An SS wicked IGO-L dripper will cut diamonds and produce pure clean flavor.

I will give it a couple of tanks of juice and barring seeing any good flavor, will make a real wick and see if that fixes it.

For solid construction, ease of use, quality/volume of vapor, and air-hole adjustments, I give (Random 1990 Wayan's brothers quote) "Three snaps in Z formation"

The jury is still out on flavor, Any input on that issue will be appreciated.

Did you try fitting your 7/64? Mine doesn't fit, and I'm curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread