Has anyone tried the Nalgene Drop Dispenser Bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightShadow

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Tacoma, Washington
I ran across this while looking for measured liquid delivery items and wondered if anyone had given them a try.

They *seem* like they might be usefull for dripping. I can see where they should be good for 1 handed operation, not loosing cap etc.

I am not sure if they really put out 1 drop at a time any differently than our current dropper bottles.

I am not sure how good they would be for a carry around bottle, ie will the little teathered cap pop off or not, failing that for home use they may still be good.

Nalgene® Drop Dispenser Bottles - US Plastic Corporation

Brief description: Always dispense just one drop at a time, with convenient, one-hand operation. Captive spout cap stays in place when bottle is squeezed, will not pop out or leak. One drop equals 45-50 micro-liters. Leakproof.

REI carries them also, just in a 2 oz size. Nalgene Drop-Dispenser Bottle - 2 fl. oz. at REI.com

Has anyone found a smaller measured dispenseer than the 1 ml type here that does not cost a fortune which would pump out only a few drops or just 1 at a time via a pump type opperation?

Plastic Tanks, Plastic Buckets, Plastic Bottles, Labware, Plastic Tubing, PVC Pipe, Plastic Sheet - United States Plastic Corporation ®

The point here was to find something to make driping easier. With the goal of having a device that is cheap and easy to use.

My ideal would be something like a breath mint spray type device or eye dropper type we can just point the nozzle in the atty, press the pump or squeeze and it dispenses 1-3 drops withought having to hold it up above the atty and count the number of drops falling.

Beyond that: Various sizes a plus. Not loosing/dropping the top a plus. Different color availability while retaining a view of remaining liquid in the device a small plus, ie colored tops or a viewport on the side etc. :)

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
:p Honestly just replied to offer that method and hopefully make ya laugh. TBH I didn't even read the entirety of your post :oops:

But I agree it would be awesome if we could find something that would allow a single pump or squeeze to dispense just the right amount of juice. Or even if you could say 1 pump = 1 drop.. then you could drip your pv without having to watch the drops. Would be useful for things like... driving, or in the dark.

NightShadow

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Tacoma, Washington
:p Honestly just replied to offer that method and hopefully make ya laugh. TBH I didn't even read the entirety of your post :oops:

But I agree it would be awesome if we could find something that would allow a single pump or squeeze to dispense just the right amount of juice. Or even if you could say 1 pump = 1 drop.. then you could drip your pv without having to watch the drops. Would be useful for things like... driving, or in the dark.

It did make me laugh :)

And yeah being able to drip in the dark is the ease of use I was looking for, ie 1 pump= 1 drop etc.

I have some sort of *over-verbose syndrome* however so don't be :oops: if you didn't read it all above :lol:

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
I think I saw something once.. a mod.. called a dabbit or dobbit or something like that. If I remember right it was some mini thing that reminded me of like a bingo marker thing. The idea (again, going off my memory, haven't bothered to search for it again in a long time) was a very small thin bottle with a sort of sponge like tip that when pressed against an atty released a small amount of juice sort of like a cart wicking, but without having to keep it on the atty. I'll see if I can find it again but you may want to look for yourself too. Last I saw it was made and being sold by an ECF memeber... somewhere... or I've totally lost my mind... one of the two

here you go.. e-dobit .. this is what I was talking about. Sold here
http://stickertoit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21&zenid=3c52859ee391c1d800c7346a6dc60f2b

Last edited:

NightShadow

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Tacoma, Washington
I may have found something a little different that in theory would work.

The Nasal Spray Pump! (oral sprays are also a possibility)

I am still reaserching these devices, but as they are used to deliver medicine we have better information available as to how much they deliver per pump available than a non medical alternative.

Thus far the items of note are:

The ammount they deliver per pump is measured in Microlitters (mcl).
(I later found some in ml also)

I started looking for something to dispense 2 drops give or take, and found this one Dosing Nasal Spray Pump For Glass Bottle Manufacturer, Buyer, Supplier, Importer, Exporter, Manufacturers, Buyers, Suppliers, Importers & Exporters - ECPlaza that dispenses 50 to 130 mcl per pump.

That is in mcl, not ml so I went here: Microliter to Milliliters conversion calculator and found that 100 µl = 0.1 ml

As we are used to discussing our E-Juice in ml, or drops for this case how does this compare? I checked the handy Ejuice calculator, eJuice Recipe Calculator and set my ammount to create at .5ml and it tells me I will need 0.1ml of flavorings which is 2 drops. (above we see that 0.1ml is our 2 drops also)

My eyebrow popped up at this point, as it is starting to look promising here!

I thought that the first device had a fairly large variable it dispensed, so poked around some more and found another site that carried a rather bewildering variety of the devices here: Nasal Spray Pumps Applicators and see they do carry some that appear to have a narrower range of delivery.

The smallest ammount delieverd that I found quickly was 0.8 ml and the bigger ones were rated at [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]approx. 0.1ml to 0.132 ml which would fall within my acceptible limit of drops. (2-3 drops I think is close enough but would be more confortable at a firm 2 drops and any wanting more can just pump it again)[/FONT]

So now we have the basic information I think we will need to look for a container that may be suitable for dispensing a shot of eliquid onto the atty quickly and easilly.

Flaws in the above assumptions/calculations that I can spot right away:
(there may be others)

The ejuice calc used to figure the number of drops to ml may not be as accurate for very small ammounts as might be needed. I tried to use it to figure out what 3 drops would be, by working my way up from .5ml to 1.0 ml, and it jumped from 2 drops to 4 drops, never hitting the 3 drop mark.
(this is likely still close enough for our purposes here, and government work as well ;) )

I know we have people around in the medical / phamacutical professions, as well as chemistry folks etc. Would anyone that may be more familiar with this than I do a sanity check here and tell me if I am barking up the right or wrong tree please?

Better yet has anyone tried such a thing, and if so how did it work out?

Thanks in advance!

NightShadow

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Tacoma, Washington
The only flaw I can really see in this is that most nasal sprays seem to spray up and out in a cone-like pattern which might result in the atty housing getting sprayed with your juice rather than getting directly on the bridge.

True,

I envisioned having the nozzle inside the atty tho so it is basicly touching the bridge when I pumped it. I know I can do this with every dropper type bottle I have here, and can even get the closed bottles top to fit into the 510 atty.

I am not sure of the actual size of the pointy spray end on any specific nasal spray bottles however, hence asking if anyone had tried this experiment or not :)

Another thing I should ask if any happen to have a bottle, is it easilly refillable via a screw top, or might it require a syringe for whatever type any happen to have?

geeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Neither here nor there
[quote?]

My ideal would be something like a breath mint spray type device or eye dropper type we can just point the nozzle in the atty, press the pump or squeeze and it dispenses 1-3 drops withought having to hold it up above the atty and count the number of drops falling.
[/quote]

How about these? I have something similar (mine are clear), and they're *ok*, not great. If they had a nozzle to aim into the atty, they'd be better.
5 ml. Mini Treatment Pumps-Accessories

NightShadow

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Tacoma, Washington
How about these? I have something similar (mine are clear), and they're *ok*, not great. If they had a nozzle to aim into the atty, they'd be better.
5 ml. Mini Treatment Pumps-Accessories

How is the ammount they deliver per pump?
Could likely find a nozzle or hot glue one onto those if thats the only snag, thanks :)

NightShadow

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Tacoma, Washington
A complete press of the pump on mine gives about 4 drops. Too many for some PVs.

Now I am thinking if it's possible to install washers to limit the stroke of the pump.

Might have to test the theory with the remains of the walgreens hand sanitizer spray bottles I used to make the 510 cases here :)

Thank You again!

geeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Neither here nor there
Nightshadow: I don't know anything about the guts of the pump vs the sprayer and how they differ, but the ones I have came in both a spray model and a pump model like you would use for lotions. Maybe your spray bottle can be modded, but if not, look for the lotion pump style instead of the sprayer.

NightShadow

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Tacoma, Washington
I have sent an email to the place I linked above that carries both nasal and oral types and asked if I can get 1 of each to try out. (buy)

Hopefully I can get them w/o having to order 10 at a time, I will try them out and let all know.

If I can get the samples I will probably make a short post here, and open a new thread as this ones original topic probably is not the best as I hijacked my own thread here! :oops:

I am open to title suggestions if this does work out.

My first thought is:

The Holy Grail for Dripping (or drippers?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread