Has anyone used Rite-aid Glycerin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devonschmoker

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Portland, OR USA
I just want to make sure I didn’t use the wrong glycerin. I tried my first attempt and it didn't pass the Uncle Iggy test (Try a small amount and if it makes you feel strange don’t use it.).
I tried my mix 45% water 50%glycerin 5% Kroger imitation vanilla butter and nut flavor and I felt a bit dizzy after about 10 puffs. At that point I stopped and emptied the cart. I still feel a bit dizzy. It could be that I haven’t had sleep for over 24hrs but that never made me dizzy before. The most questionable thing in the flavor is Xanthan Gum. Did I get the mix wrong or something? Any suggestions?
*Still kind of dizzy* -Devon

benjamin

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2008
North Carolina
i tried humco gycerin usp (from walmart) and a bit of gin to thin the mix with 36mg liquid. i got headaches. i just use liquid straight out of the bottle now. i assume it was the glycerin bothering me but i guess it could have been the gin. i've decided to hold off being creative with my liquid for now....
what does the bottle say? mine was 99.5% glycerin and labeled as a skin protectant.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I just want to make sure I didn’t use the wrong glycerin. I tried my first attempt and it didn't pass the Uncle Iggy test (Try a small amount and if it makes you feel strange don’t use it.).
I tried my mix 45% water 50%glycerin 5% Kroger imitation vanilla butter and nut flavor and I felt a bit dizzy after about 10 puffs. At that point I stopped and emptied the cart. I still feel a bit dizzy. It could be that I haven’t had sleep for over 24hrs but that never made me dizzy before. The most questionable thing in the flavor is Xanthan Gum. Did I get the mix wrong or something? Any suggestions?

I saw the glycerin at Rite-Aid and opted against it when I saw skin protectant....got mine at Michael's craft store instead. However, I did see others on here say they use the skin one with no problems.

I might question the ingredients in the flavoring you used. Most of the flavorings we've used here contain water, PG and flavoring, sometimes some alcohol...and that's it...no dyes, no sugars, no oils, etc....and they seem to work without adverse effects.

Don't forget you're inhaling whatever is in that flavoring so probably the less ingredients, the better.

Lu

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
I would not use anything that is sold as skin protectant as its primary use. There are glycerins on the market sold as a remedy for sore throat. I believe these might be much better idea for inhaling.

GrahamsPharmacy.com - Care+ Glycerin BP
I use a different one, also for sore throat, could not find it online, unfortunately. But it works perfectly.

lordmage

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2008
Dundalk,Maryland, USA
devon i can not personally stress this enough stay away from colorings yellow red what ever they not good stick with a pure clear color example the loran candy flavors with as little as ingredients listed: PG or VG, Alcohol flavorings and some say artifical or other stuff but thats it only 4 things listed. but avoid actual oils

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
Hi Devon,

I just started mixing my own 'juice' this week, and had a hard time finding the right glycerin at first. I ended up buying some called 'Heritage Vegetable Glycerin' at 'New Seasons' grocery in SW Portland (Raleigh Hills) Even though it was located in the 'skin care' department it is listed to be "USP Grade Pure Glycerin' as a skin soother, natural sweetener, and a base for herbal extracts. I've been 'vaping' with this for 3 days with no problems. I paid $5.00+ for a 4 oz. bottle at New Seasons, but later someone posted a link to a place, also local, in Clackamas, OR (since I know you're in the Portland area): ttp://www.essentialwholesale.com that carries both the PG and VG at MUCH better prices! I don't know if they have a retail store that you can pick up local or not, but even shipped seems like a much better price than buying local retail. You can also get the LorAnn flavorings (Kate has a list of which ones 'seem' to be okay for use by ingredients) at 'The Decorette Shop' local cake decorating stores in Tigard and SE Portland. Hope this helps! :)

ChainSmkr

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
USA
I tried my mix 45% water 50%glycerin 5% Kroger imitation vanilla butter and nut flavor and I felt a bit dizzy after about 10 puffs.

Hey Devon,
I purchased the Rite Aid brand USP glycerin too. My only hesitation with purchasing it was the 99.5% stat (I know 99.9% exists). Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I've been vaping with it for 2 days now without any dizziness or side effects. I'm mixing it with Bickford water soluable flavors and distilled water (which I boil first for overkill :D).

There are so many things that can cause dizziness. It could have been from you being tired, a nic rush from too much time in between smokes, smoking on an empty stomach, using Kroger flavoring (my first choice), or using too high a nic content.

If 2 days is an adequate test time, I'd say the Rite Aid brand of glycerin is okay although I'll be upgrading my next bottle to a USP 99.9% brand.

rock

Feb 23, 2009
Hey you may have found a recipe to get people High by mistake. You know thats how a lot of inventions were found.

ChainSmkr

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
USA
I am using VG from Now personal care. It says it is 100% pure,USP food grade,and can be used as a natural low-glycemic sweetener or as a base for herbal extracts. Here is the link for those interested! The Wiz!NOW Foods - Vegetable Glycerine - 4 fl oz

Thanks Wiz! I checked it out and it looks really good - 100% pure, approved for both topical and internal use, and water soluable. Now I'm tempted to toss my Rite Aid glycerin right now instead of using it up first :)

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Thanks Wiz! I checked it out and it looks really good - 100% pure, approved for both topical and internal use, and water soluable. Now I'm tempted to toss my Rite Aid glycerin right now instead of using it up first :)
Seems like pretty good stuff so far.....loads of vapor,and no ill effects...at least for me. Good Luck!:)The Wiz!

vaportiger

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
B'ham, AL
You can get the pharmacy at Rite Aid to order both VG & PG. It is medical grade which is as safe as you can get. Also VG is recommended as a skin treatment because it bring the water under the skin to the top layer which makes it smooooth. I read that butter flavor makes some bad s#$t when it is vaporized! Do not use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread