Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The only reason the FDA failed in their attempt to classify electronic cigarettes as a drug is because Judge Leon said they are a recreational tobacco product. If we use synthetic nicotine instead, it seems to me we would lost that protection. Synthetic nicotine is not EXACTLY the same as natural nicotine, as you previously noted, so it could get interesting.

Pg. 32 deeming doc
"Upon implementation of this final rule, currently unregulated tobacco products and future products meeting the definition of "tobacco product" under section 201(rr) (except accessories of newly deemed tobacco products) will be subject to chapter IX of the FD&C Act."

Pg. 260
FDA agrees that there is an expanding market of tobacco products that meet the FD&C Act definition of "tobacco products." However, FDA does not believe it is necessary to define individual categories of tobacco products for purposes of this rule. In fact, by deeming "tobacco products" generally, it will help ensure that novel and future tobacco products are introduced into the market in an appropriate and efficient manner. FDA may issue specific definitions at a later time if it determines that doing so is appropriate.

Pg. 261
Likewise, at least one comment suggested that we establish a definition of "alternative
nicotine product," which would be defined as "any noncombustible tobacco-derived product
containing nicotine that is intended for human consumption, whether chewed, absorbed,
dissolved or ingested by any other means." The comment stated that several States have adopted
variations of this definition and that it would provide necessary clarity.
(Response)
For the reasons explained previously, FDA finds that it is not necessary to
add these definitions to the codified for this final rule.

Pg. 256

(Comment 164) Some comments sought clarification as to FDA's authority over e-liquids
that do not contain nicotine or other chemicals derived from tobacco plants and those e-liquids

that contain nicotine derived from a nontobacco source (e.g., eggplants or tomatoes). Others
claimed that FDA does not have regulatory authority over e-cigarettes that are refillable and do
not contain nicotine, but does have authority over e-liquids if the liquid contains nicotine. Yet,
some said that e-liquids used in e-cigarettes should have an entirely new classification, because
use of the words "tobacco product" in marketing materials would cause undue confusion for
consumers.

(Response) As stated in section 201(rr) of the FD&C Act, the definition of "tobacco
product" includes any product made or derived from tobacco, including any component, part, or
accessory of a tobacco product. An e-liquid made or derived from tobacco meets this definition
and, therefore, is subject to FDA's chapter IX authorities. E-liquids that do not contain nicotine

or other substances derived from tobacco may still be components or parts and, therefore, subject
to FDA's tobacco control authorities, if they are an assembly of materials intended or reasonably
expected to be used with or for the human consumption of a tobacco product and do not meet the
definition of accessory.

Pg. 258
In addition, some comments stated that FDA has no justification for regulating products simply because they may deliver nicotine. They likened such authority to imposing onerous regulations on caffeine, another plant-derived chemical.
(Response) FDA disagrees. FDA is deeming these products to address public health
concerns (79 FR 23142 at 23148 and 23149). ENDS are tobacco products.

eta: @SeniorBoy composing while you were posting :- )

Last edited:

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Let me just say this...

If offered a ground-floor opportunity to invest in alternative nicotine source production?
I would politely decline, but certainly wish them luck!
:)
So everytime I drop by, I tighten my lip avoiding the bubbling rant inside.
Why is the US always the last on the planet in so many aspects?
It's encouraging to read another "ground floor" perspective (Sic_) in the EU Employers instructed to support vaping
can anyone fighting this battle present successful precedence from abroad?
cheers.

Reactions: Katya

johnny hotsauce

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
Chicago, IL USA
Me and my fiancee combined vape roughly 250ml a week. I want to have pleanty as this will be the most valuable commodity if worst comes to worst.
I bought 5 gallons, should be delivered by Tue. I calculated this should last 128 years for me, LOL! My only justification was that it was on sale, hehehehehehehe

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I have 5 liters of nic stashed away. I figure it will last far more than my natural lifetime. I want to be able to help folks later when it is unobtainable to stop smoking if everything should go down the tubes legally.

bigTRAV710

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2016
Fort Worth Tx
I bought 5 gallons, should be delivered by Tue. I calculated this should last 128 years for me, LOL! My only justification was that it was on sale, hehehehehehehe

You will be able to barter, sell , give to friend and still have pleanty to last you for as long as it will keep

I bought 5 liters 100mg/ml unflavored, 1 liter 36 mg/ml unflavored and 1 liter 18mg/ml flavored, several hundred coils, about a dozen or so cheap mods - vw, mech, tc, a dozen or so tanks with replacement glass. Should last my wife and I about 8-10 years I think. Also about 50-60 different tobacco flavor concentrates. Only found 2 flavors, both menthol, that I like and don't taste like a flower, as of yet. I doubt I will have a good non-menthol tobacco mix by 8/8/16, which has me somewhat concerned. My world for a MFS US Light clone!

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
Jeez folks, if we just took one tenth of the effort of all the folks stockpiling or bending over for the FDA and put it into changing the law, we'd have this fixed in 6 months. Much of FDA's authority is being reauthorized by Congress next year. What a nice place to create a new vapor products regulatory regime....eh? Maybe do away with that 2007 date and the punitive approach to new products?
But the leverage point for this is the election in November. Time to talk to Congressional candidates about their stance on public health improvement and preventing regulatory overreach! rwoodin, your Senator Richard Burr is up for re-election AND sits on the oversight committee for FDA and has been very involved with previous FDA issues. Let's get him on board!

Reactions: gnees

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Jeez folks, if we just took one tenth of the effort of all the folks stockpiling or bending over for the FDA and put it into changing the law, we'd have this fixed in 6 months. Much of FDA's authority is being reauthorized by Congress next year. What a nice place to create a new vapor products regulatory regime....eh? Maybe do away with that 2007 date and the punitive approach to new products?
But the leverage point for this is the election in November. Time to talk to Congressional candidates about their stance on public health improvement and preventing regulatory overreach! rwoodin, your Senator Richard Burr is up for re-election AND sits on the oversight committee for FDA and has been very involved with previous FDA issues. Let's get him on board!
Why do you think stocking up and advocating for change are mutually exclusive?

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Where were "you" on April 24, 2014?

A little history and a vid may help some members. We often use the word "foundational" when describing the deeming/final so listen to the words of Zeller way back then and how it compares to today.

Stay Strong! Fight! Stock Up!

/Yes...for gods sake myself and others can and have done all three actions at the same time. We multitask!

:)

nclobo

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
Durham, NC

Sen. Burr is already on board, understands the implications of the deeming regs and the potential of e-cigs. Don't get him on board, keep him on board.

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
Sen. Burr is already on board, understands the implications of the deeming regs and the potential of e-cigs. Don't get him on board, keep him on board.

Yes, u r right technically. But I guess on board means different things to different people. He def says he supports us - and I don't doubt that a bit. What we really need is a passionate leader who will push for a bipartisan bill that changes the date and otherwise protects against the effects of this rule. The appropriations process has ground to a halt which leaves no vehicle for us to change policy in the near term (pre November) and unless we raise hell Thats unlikely to change much. We are trying to get some Senators to take up this fight as their own rather than as spectators. If anyone has info on Sens willing to do this I'm all ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nclobo

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
Durham, NC
Yes, u r right technically. But I guess on board means different things to different people. He def says he supports us - and I don't doubt that a bit. What we really need is a passionate leader who will push for a bipartisan bill that changes the date and otherwise protects against the effects of this rule. The appropriations process has ground to a halt which leaves no vehicle for us to change policy in the near term (pre November) and unless we raise hell Thats unlikely to change much. We are trying to get some Senators to take up this fight as their own rather than as spectators. If anyone has info on Sens willing to do this I'm all ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Near term, I think Johnson could have the biggest impact, but I really don't see anything hopeful before November. Johnson's intents seem to be releasing information that could be beneficial judicially.

Reactions: Truthdog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread