Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I’m back. Posted this elsewhere but didn’t get much interest. Hoping there’s more MTL interest here. Got my hands on a Hastur Mini — ordered direct from Cthulhu mod.

659CEAE0-FA9C-4448-AD6E-1EE5FE2ADDD5.jpeg

As a recent convert back to MTL, I’ve tried a lot of different MTL attys and this thing is right now king of the hill. Yup, MTL is the new black. No more vast clouds, huge juice consumption and dead batteries — just pure vape enjoyment lol.

Why do I place the Hastur mini as king of the hill — because it’s a combination of the airflow design and the wicking.

AA33AE2D-1E0D-4E6E-B8E4-1548D43A7DDF.jpeg

The airflow design is nearly perfect for MTL and for exceptional flavor. There are two small air holes directly beneath the coil for good surface area contact while maintaining sufficient velocity of flow over the coil (similar to the Nectar). The posts at the sides in combination with the wick covering the ends create a “box” of obstructions around the coil (similar to the kayfuns) which prevents air from escaping to the mouthpiece without traveling from under and around the sides of the coil. Very tiny chamber with a sloped top reduces turbulence and “dead zones” in the chamber (similar to the Doggystyle or Berserker mini); excessive turbulance disrupts the airflow and kills flavor; despite oft repeated nonsense, it’s the turbulance caused by overall chamber size and shape not just the size of the chamber that kills flavor. Anyway the Hastur mini is a combination of the best of many.

In sum, there is little to no escaped air dilution of the vapor and less turbulence disrupting that superior airflow. There is adequate air velocity to avoid the harshness of hotspots which occur with inadequate velocity. All of this adds up to MTL flavor machine.

I was a little worried when seeing the wicking “GTA” type design (similar to Siren and Ares) but in use it is extremely efficient producing a rich, saturated vape loaded with flavor from the superior airflow. A benefit of the GTA design is no flooding when refilling despite lack of juice flow control. This is a huge bonus when compared to some other MTL attys (not mentioning any names . . .cough, cough, Berserker, cough).

Other features include quarter turn quick connect top cap, frosted glass spare tank and the usual screws and o-rings baggie. Oh and I almost forgot — it comes with two drip tips, one of which is “unique” to put it mildly — a long, very slender stainless tip. The other is typical black poly of some sort, very comfortable and conventional in appearance. Note that the stock drip tips are very restrictive. If you prefer a MTL vape with a bit less restrictiveness, substitute your own tip.

Cons include only three airflow settings (not a con for me as I like all of them) and of course it’s a mini so not much juice capacity. I prefer this style of airflow settings to the outsized variable slots or fixed excessive airflow of, for example, the Pico 2, Doggystyle and Tilemahos.

For MTL vapers searching for that “seventh wave” atty at a reasonable price, this thing is worth your time to try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Man very interesting and nice review. You are actually making me want to buy one, quite badly. Alas, I went grocery shopping yesterday, that's always financially sobering. LOL.. But, I have this tank on "the list" now. LOL. It does sound like a really neat atty.

Anna

Yes, easy to spend with all the new stuff always coming out. I came upon an idea that is hard to do but fun. If what you already have is working and you’re really happy with it, commit to not buying any new vape gear for two years. Then, instead of small incremental changes or stuff based on hype, when it’s time to buy, the new stuff out really is that much better that it’s worth spending some of the grocery budget on. In the two year interval, experiment; spend the time to really get to know and get the most of what you have. You will learn a lot about exactly what you like and what you don’t, and how things really work (or don’t).

I’ve done this a couple times in the past and it saved me from, for example, the whole subohm, stock coil craze (that hopefully is finally over lol). I learned a lot a out how an atomizer really works and how to build and tweak to get the vape I wanted without buying the next thing for sale. Before that it saved me from spending a lot on trendy c-frames and I was launched from using a Vamo and SVD right to a stable of DNA 200s. Most recently I’m now into a whole crop of MTL RTA’s but the learning interval I spent with my old gear for so long before buying lets me pretty much look at a deck and I can tell if it has potential as something that might work well or something to pass on. So far I’ve “invested” wisely and have been generally happy with what I’ve tried (I think so far only the Pico 2 went back in its little box likely for a good while and maybe the Tilemahos doesn’t see as much use as some of the others).

When I’m done trying what’s out that has potential and I find the very, very best that I really like (and so far the Hastur mini is looking pretty good), I’ll stop again for a couple years, bypass the next wave of hype, and vape on. I’m kind of hoping the ultrasonic thing catches on with some top notch stuff by 2021 but we’ll see ;)

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Can the draw get as tight as the Berserker? Is it as quiet as the Berserker?

Yes, smallest hole size is 0.8 mm. Remember though the Hastur mini has only three set airflow choices: 0.8, 1.2 and 1.4 mm. For in between, the airflow ring can be moved to partially close a hole. Berserker has largest hole size of 1.6 mm but IMHO that’s no longer MTL :D

Yes, it is quiet but I don’t use any in-between airflow settings so I don’t want to say whether that might make any noise.

I think it has slightly better flavor than the Berserker (not like mind blowingly better but better) and it is way easier to fill — no leaks or gurgles. Also better appearance. Much less juice capacity than the Berserker, of course, but same as the Berserker mini.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Yes, smallest hole size is 0.8 mm. Remember though the Hastur mini has only three set airflow choices: 0.8, 1.2 and 1.4 mm. For in between, the airflow ring can be moved to partially close a hole. Berserker has largest hole size of 1.6 mm but IMHO that’s no longer MTL :D

No, no, no..... IMHO.....based on my very non scientific studies.... holes 0.8, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6mm are HSTM... hole 2.0mm is RMTL...... 2.5mm hole is NMTL .... 3.0mm hole is LMTL and 3.5mm is RDTL... 4.0mm and above is for DTL..... :D

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    I’m interested in this one, as love the full size hastur RTA, except not easy to access deck without emptying juice out 1st, but this only being only 2 mils is a downer, even though I only MTL vape, I do use Clapton coil, so still go through juice pretty fast.

Oh btw, doesn’t matter how big or small the air hole is, if you drawing the vapor into your mouth and then into your lungs, then you are MTL vaping ;)

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    @Mad Scientist , what build is that in your second picture (looks like a very thick wire) ? Is the vapor too hot in your experience?

Build is fused clapton, two strands 30 AWG wrapped by 38 AWG, 2.5 mm i.d. 5 wraps slightly spaced, comes out at about 0.65 ohms. I generally go with 25 watts, give or take. It is on the warm side but I like it that way. Space the coils just enough so that they glow evenly once they heat up.

The whole “glowing from the inside out” is more ubiquitous nonsense that was good advice when contact coils were necessary to get the most out of not enough power. Now that we have more power than we know what to do with, almost everybody is still forcing the center of the coil much hotter because they have no idea why we did it that way years ago. :evil:

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    I’m interested in this one, as love the full size hastur RTA, except not easy to access deck without emptying juice out 1st, but this only being only 2 mils is a downer, even though I only MTL vape, I do use Clapton coil, so still go through juice pretty fast.

Oh btw, doesn’t matter how big or small the air hole is, if you drawing the vapor into your mouth and then into your lungs, then you are MTL vaping ;)

Hello old friend — you've been here about as long as I have!

Yeah, juice capacity of all “mini” attys is a downer but the Hastur mini is easy enough to fill that it doesn’t bother me and is one of the things I like about it.

One box that has to be checked for every atty I end up using a lot is, as a pratical matter, can I fill it at the bar and can I fill it as a passenger in a car while it’s moving. This one can.

Try that with, say, the Doggy Style — Doh! Where did I drop that airflow ring? :shock: Or how about the Berserker (“excuse me, do you have a napkin I can shake my juice in to” :blush:) :D

Nailz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    Hello old friend — you've been here about as long as I have!

Yeah, juice capacity of all “mini” attys is a downer but the Hastur mini is easy enough to fill that it doesn’t bother me and is one of the things I like about it.

One box that has to be checked for every atty I end up using a lot is, as a pratical matter, can I fill it at the bar and can I fill it as a passenger in a car while it’s moving. This one can.

Try that with, say, the Doggy Style — Doh! Where did I drop that airflow ring? :shock: Or how about the Berserker (“excuse me, do you have a napkin I can shake my juice in to” :blush:) :D

Hello, yea how time flies, seem only yesterday I started this Vape journey, but over 5 years smoke free and still trying every new thing that comes out :)

I know how easy the Hastur is to fill from the full size, so valid point there, and funny you say about filling it in a car, because I do that with the full size on my way home from work, but I am the driver and do when stopped at lights lol

You are right, I have the doggy, don’t use as gets to hot with my Clapton coil, and stopped using the berserker due to either leaking or having to bottom fill.

I am sure I will try one of there, as like the original hastur so much, going to be sales this weekend, so sure one will fall in my cart :)

stormjib

ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2014
    California
    Two 'heads up'...Cthulhumod is coming out with a new post, with only one airflow hole...and also a different driptip with a 3mm hole. They say if you email them a pic of your atty with the serial number, they'll send you a coupon for 95% off the cost of the new driptip...but I haven't heard yet when the new post with single airflow will be out.
    Very nice review. I'm a big fan of the company, been wavering on whether to buy this or the aqua reboot. I'll probably end up with both, but I think I'll order the Hastur this week. Their previous mtl tank, the cthulhu mtl, is pretty good, but the Hastur is much better designed.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    Two 'heads up'...Cthulhumod is coming out with a new post, with only one airflow hole...and also a different driptip with a 3mm hole. They say if you email them a pic of your atty with the serial number, they'll send you a coupon for 95% off the cost of the new driptip...but I haven't heard yet when the new post with single airflow will be out.
    Very nice review. I'm a big fan of the company, been wavering on whether to buy this or the aqua reboot. I'll probably end up with both, but I think I'll order the Hastur this week. Their previous mtl tank, the cthulhu mtl, is pretty good, but the Hastur is much better designed.

Fantastic — thanks for letting us know! Any idea or can you find out what size hole they plan for the new post? I hope they don’t screw up the best atty I’ve been able to find lol. Bigger hole in the drip tips would be a huge improvement but, excuse me for a second — have to order at least one more before they change the post — just in case :).

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    I stopped buying MTL tanks as all the recent ones have disappointed compared to the Doggy, but......this one is definitely being considered. Definitely. ;)

I also love the Doggy Style, except for two things: somewhat inconvenient to fill, and getting the airflow ring dialed in right after removing and replacing it to fill takes too much trial and error (and usually finding a pair of glasses so I can see the dang hole size lol). I use mine all the time at home but have never really bothered taking it out and about.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread