Status
Not open for further replies.

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
Regards,

I'm pretty new to everything mod, and well I want to use my USB cable mod in my truck's ciggarette lighter jack.

Currently this USB mod works when plugged into my computer, but does not work when plugged into my AC to USB battery charger adapter that came with my kr808 kit.

I figure (head slap) that it stands to reason as the atty activation is essentially no different than a short circuit, and DA? this is never going to be allowed to pass on a dedicated charger unit...

Now I'm thinking what I ordered from DealExtreeme is never going to work for my USB mod...

Opinions?

DealExtreme: $5.63 Universal USB AC and Car Charger (with Cell Phone Adapters)

Have I screwed the pooch here?

Thanks,
fo

yeah, I'm that new to this mod game...sigh

Shreck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2009
Olivet, Michigan, United States
that should work just fine for you!
Regards,

I'm pretty new to everything mod, and well I want to use my USB cable mod in my truck's ciggarette lighter jack.

Currently this USB mod works when plugged into my computer, but does not work when plugged into my AC to USB battery charger adapter that came with my kr808 kit.

I figure (head slap) that it stands to reason as the atty activation is essentially no different than a short circuit, and DA? this is never going to be allowed to pass on a dedicated charger unit...

Now I'm thinking what I ordered from DealExtreeme is never going to work for my USB mod...

Opinions?

Have I screwed the pooch here?

Thanks,
fo

yeah, I'm that new to this mod game...sigh

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Thanks for that,

Maybe I'm ok then? I mean this Harbor
Freight unit says it's for charging also?

What are the odds that my AC/toUSB charger has short protection built in, funny thing is that it reads 4.7v on my multi meter, yet does not fire up my USB mod...

But thanks now I know I can get one of those locally, and can now bear the suspensive of uncertainly with my road trip looming over me---I've just 7 days to get my ducks in a row

THANKS HELLEN
fo

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
Many of the AC to USB and 12V to USB will only provide 500ma to a device (actually, PC ports are only "required" to provide that much by the USB standard, but some might provide more).

Look for adapters rated for 1.5A or more.

The one you posted is rated at 1A for the AC adapter and 500ma for the DC adapter.

A great alternative is a Kensington USB mobile power pack. It can charge from your truck while providing power to your passthru.

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Many of the AC to USB and 12V to USB will only provide 500ma to a device (actually, PC ports are only "required" to provide that much by the USB standard, but some might provide more).

Look for adapters rated for 1.5A or more.

The one you posted is rated at 1A for the AC adapter and 500ma for the DC adapter.

A great alternative is a Kensington USB mobile power pack. It can charge from your truck while providing power to your passthru.

So?

I'm still in trouble then, or just a bit compromised on my max voltage?

Actually 4v would suit me just fine--5v is a bit of overkill in my humble opinion...

If there's an issue of 500ma not being enough to even power it, I'd like to know so I can make other plans

Thanks all
fo

Last edited:

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
Nothing like a physical test to verify it 100%, but based on the ratings listed on those adapters, coupled with the fact that your passthru works on your PC port but not your existing AC adapter, I'd say the AC adapter you ordered might work, but the DC adapter probably won't

If you could measure the current drawn by your passthru when in use, you'd know for sure how much you need.

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Mine is a 500 mA car USB adpter from DX and works fine, I use it everytime I drive.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9872

ALL USB will provide 5 volts regardless of it being a computer, car adapter, or even a wall wart, that is the USB standard.
The USB chargers you mention, are lower than 500 mA and they will not work. For a wall adapter (wart), you need at least 1000 mA, somehow in the car 500 mA will do, it is about how the current is provided and obviously a car and a wall socket have very different specs.
I don't know the details but I know from experience using them.

You are good to go as long as you receive it from DX, which normally takes about 3 weeks. :(

If you don't get it on time, your option is buying one locally, it will work, but you will pay more than the $5.

---

Last edited:

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Mine is a 500 mA car USB adpter from DX and works fine, I use it everytime I drive.

DealExtreme: $5.00 500mA Car to USB Power Adapter (Plugs into Cigarette Lighter Slot)

ALL USB will provide 5 volts regardless of it being a computer, car adapter, or even a wall wart, that is the USB standard.

You are good to go as long as you receive it from DX, which normally takes about 3 weeks. :(

If you don't get it on time, your option is buying one locally, it will work, but you will pay a lot more than the $5.

---

Live and learn eh? Wrap

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

No biggie, we all are here to help and if we learn something, we'll be even happier--- I hope.

Best Regards
fo

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
Sorry, I may have let my inner engineer get out of hand and made this more complicated than necessary :oops:. I do that... frequently...

To measure the current, you'd have to be able to place your meter in series with one power lead of the passthru, and your meter would also have to be capable of handling the current. If it's not easy to do this directly on your passthru, a handy "tool" for this would be a USB extension cable, stripped back in the middle with one power lead separated out in order to attach the meter.

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Update:

I freaked out, thinking China is not likely to care about my upcoming road trip and my NEED for a USB adapter for my truck...

So I went to Harbor Freight and picked up their $5 USB adapter (thanks Hellen) vaped my way back home..

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Wouldn't you know it?

My China guy package was waiting when I arrived home.

And sure enough that DXteme cig lighter to USB is just too wimpy to fire up my Nebula...

Both made in China, both rated at 5v. and .5amps...

The Harbor Freight one will do, it does work, but it is nowhere as peppy as my in house PC USB plug...

Well their ya go, don't bother with the Deal Extreme adapter (sorry warp) for very same 5 bucks minus 3 weeks wait and sans a shipping charge, just boogie down to Harbor Freight,

Ilse 7....Bam your done...

OK, now to build a second USB bat box gizmo---let's see if that ultra wimpy retractable usb cord is up to the job...

Best Regards
fo

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Another chuckle head?

I really don't see the up side of laughing at the misfortune of others?

But, it's cool, I really don't mind, if someone else can avoid buying that wrong adapter, I think I actually sort of came out ahead on this deal...

right-on

Rock on with your grin on

Best Regards
fo

Sorry about what?

LOL, you are the one that got the wrong adapter from DX, not me.

DealExtreme: $5.00 500mA Car to USB Power Adapter (Plugs into Cigarette Lighter Slot)

:rolleyes:

---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread