Status
Not open for further replies.

Simply Red

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
I'm here, when I'm here
I've read other post and some have asked "What do I do to clean up nicotine I've spilled? Do I call HASMAT?" With out a doubt, nicotine is dangerous and spills can be tricky. I'm no expert but, one could google "MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Nicotine" to get some answers.

There are a lot of good posts on ECF for DIY from safety and handling to mixing and what bottles to use. I've been vaping since Labor Day and reading posts for about 2 weeks (work kinda slow right now) and started my e-cig "education" right here.

Read a lot, learn a lot and Happy vaping!!

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I only deal with 48 mg nic when I do my DIY so it's not as dangerous, although I know I still have to be careful. I buy 500 ml at a time of nic base and put it into 60 ml bottles. I'd rather deal with a 60 ml bottle accidentally spilling than a 500 ml bottle spilling, plus it helps the nic to last longer and stay fresher if you only deal with exposing a small bottle to air all the time while mixing.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I also keep a bowl of water next to me for flushing my syringe in between mixes. And even though I've never spilled nic, because I'm always super careful, there has been an occasion where maybe the edge of my finger gets a dab of it on it, at which time I can easily stick my finger in the bowl of water and wash it off fairly fast. It all works good for me :)

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Remember, the nicotine is suspended in a solution of usually either PG or VG or both, and usually at levels of 10% or less. First, use gloves and eye protection. Second, if you do get some nicotine base on your skin, wash it off immediately. Because it is suspended in solution, it will not "instantly" absorb into the skin, so you will most definitely have a window to clean it up, wash it off, etc. without any harm to you whatsoever. That being said, prolonged exposure will make you quite ill, and at much, much higher levels is quite toxic, along the lines of arsenic. So, be careful, safety first, but not that difficult to handle with some paper towels and water, and a running faucet is always nice. Good luck to you.

DruidPriest

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2013
We talking a few drops of 50mg? Or a gallon of 100mg? HAZMAT is probally over kill in any case. For larger spills. Eye protection, facemask, and rubber gloves, not medical glove the ones your nana wore while doing dishes. Prevention. Find a restaurant supply house B&M or online, order a full sheet pan, work on that. It has a lip do if one of your liquids do spill it is contained for easy clean up.

Slim and simple EVOD tank, eGo Twist 1100 mAh battery. DruidPriest

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    With the 10mg nicotine that I vape I don't worry about it much. I just wipe it up if I spill a little. With the 100mg nicotine base that I mix from it's a different story. I always reduce my nicotine base down with everything contained within a plastic tub, and I always reduce it down to 10mg into pint glass canning jars. That way I may only have to worry about 100mg nicotine about once/year.

I ALWAYS have tap water running when mixing (just in case)

DKP#

ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2012
    Missouri, USA
    I keep the 100mg bottle in the sink, and do my mixing on the kitchen counter.
    Diluted stuff isn't really THAT bad for for a regular user who has a high tolerance. I've had CE5's come apart in my pocket and had liquid (20mg) running down my leg in the car. Just wiped it off immediately with some Kleenex and rinsed it when I got home a half hour later. I couldn't even tell. I've gotten 100mg on my hands but just rinse it off right away with no noticeable effects.
    Probably a different story for children, pets, people who don't use nicotine or people with really high blood pressure or other health problems.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread