Have your vaping habits and consumption have changed over the years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
Well, over the time all changes, even the beloved habits and hobbies, so is vaping, I do remember when I did started, a bit confused, a bit scared and with some doubts, then enjoyed a lot RDA’s, rolls, making coils and all those new things that changed out the habit… for example to switch the cigarettes pack and light on your pocket for a vape mod and maybe a juice bottle too,

so at the beginning I did used some sub-ohm tanks, then moved to RBA’s…. oh boy, the RDA’s, the coiling art and wicking, what a times on some stores, talking, vaping having great times!
Then, the need of more liquid, the hassle of dripping and there were no squonks available… so, decided to try RTA’s, oh what a wonderful land, tank capacity and dripper alike sensation, draw, flavor and vapor production..

Then… maybe a bit late, started using more mtl rta and pods, the vaping sensation changed a lot, I was maybe using 120ml per week on RTA’s and seldom a RDA, the liquid consumption reduced that much that I maybe use 10ml per day, 25max on a hard stressful day, the salt nic consumption raised when started using salts on TC mode with a RTA mtl and single battery mod,

How have your vaping habits and hobby changed, has It been affected by new devices and new trends?

Regards,

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
The answer is yes and no.

Back when I started 1.7 ohm coils were considered LOW resistance. Back then we tended to vape higher mg/ml liquids because the vapor production was much lower. Those high resistance coils used less liquid.

Now that I vape .4-.7 ohm coils and some in dual coil setup. I use much lower nic levels but the coils use far more liquid per puff.

on a total mg of nic used a day I know I am lower than when I started. On a mL of juice bases I am using FAR more.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I've changed as substantial improvements in hardware emerged. However, only to have the lowest maintenance vape possible.

I went from an eGo kit, to eGo batteries with Type A (fat) atomizers and carts. Then to clearo tanks. Then bought a Provari. Then got an RTA. The end. I fill the tank (~5ml) and change the battery in the morning and I'm good to go all day. Having achieved that about 4 yrs ago, I really haven't explored new stuff any further.

I'm not doing this for a hobby, so not interested in chasing the latest fads. I started in order to stop smoking, and still don't. Winning.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Ultimately, realising what it takes, hardware wise, to get a satisfying nicotine hit. Low power (11.5 watts) to a basic no frills coil (5 wraps equalling 1 ohm) on a good quality rta with plenty of nicotine (24mg). Only way to do that is research, trial and error and progression through very basic hardware to advanced over quite a few months.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I think I'm one of the few that have stayed pretty much the same since I started 8 years ago. I often hear folks saying they've changed as vape gear became better and this is true for those who started with carts or old type drop ins or clearos, but I started with rebuildables, gennys to be specific, and although I vape mtl rtas now, the vape from my gennys back then is pretty much the same as a modern mtl great rebuildable of today. I started vaping a couple mls of 24mg and still vape a couple mls of 24mg....so nothing really has changed much except i dont vape mechs anymore, but regulated boxes at pretty much the same wattage i did back then

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I only started experimenting last year when what I was using was no longer satisfying, after about 4-5 years. And so much had changed in that time, there was much to try.

I may, someday, settle into a favorite device again, but currently I enjoy all the variety.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
At first the simplicity of a pod was appealing while I leared the products available. And I tried out some really nice gear along the way.

Innokin and Vaporesso gear and some GeekVape stuff. I knew enough about the building craft to know it was about as appealing to me personally as watch building.
Nah, I'll pass.

Then one day I just felt the longing to go back to the ultra simple way and almost regretted that my Joyetech Penguin was collecting dust. That's when I discovered auto draw had actually gotten pretty accurate. Portability was also a plus.

Also along the way flavor choices had gone from a hodge-podge of varying combinations to some basic tastes that I did not grow tired of. But again I went back in time and began using a nice tastey grape-ish favorite and a mellow NET tobacco in a pair of devices I swap back n forth throughout the day.

All the talk about flavor bans caused me to rethinking my early days of vaping when a tank full of tobacco flavor was good enough in a shirt pocket friendly device.

The Joyetech Penguin in my view was ahead of the curve with it's 1000mAh capacity, 4ml tanks and three choices of resistance in quick swap little ceramic atomizers all in a really small and light weight package. It's filling system was also dummy proof. It was actually a pretty good smoking cessation device. If not for shinyitis and supply issues it would probably still be my daily. Thinking back, it was dry hits that made me search for better.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
At first the simplicity of a pod was appealing while I leared the products available. And I tried out some really nice gear along the way.

Innokin and Vaporesso gear and some GeekVape stuff. I knew enough about the building craft to know it was about as appealing to me personally as watch building.
Nah, I'll pass.

Then one day I just felt the longing to go back to the ultra simple way and almost regretted that my Joyetech Penguin was collecting dust. That's when I discovered auto draw had actually gotten pretty accurate. Portability was also a plus.

Also along the way flavor choices had gone from a hodge-podge of varying combinations to some basic tastes that I did not grow tired of. But again I went back in time and began using a nice tastey grape-ish favorite and a mellow NET tobacco in a pair of devices I swap back n forth throughout the day.

All the talk about flavor bans caused me to rethinking my early days of vaping when a tank full of tobacco flavor was good enough in a shirt pocket friendly device.

The Joyetech Penguin in my view was ahead of the curve with it's 1000mAh capacity, 4ml tanks and three choices of resistance in quick swap little ceramic atomizers all in a really small and light weight package. It's filling system was also dummy proof. It was actually a pretty good smoking cessation device. If not for shinyitis and supply issues it would probably still be my daily. Thinking back, it was dry hits that made me search for better.
I still have 2 penguins and use them daily as my out and about vapes. :)

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
My 1st set up was some aspire stick thing,, (@24mg nic) it lasted 1day,, I needed more horse power,,, got a KangerTech sub ohm,,, then bought more sub ohm style units. My wattage went from 17 to 25-35 for the past 3 years,, my nic fell off a cliff unexpectedly,, 24 down to 0-3mg depending on if I am around the in-laws .

Overtime most of my vaping is squonk,, although I still like my subohm tanks still. Had I started out with squonking I likely wouldn't have tried most of the stuff I have,,,, I dont have nearly the amount of gear others have.. other than mixing equipment,, all of my vape stash fits into a travel size shaving bag,,, and I am trying to shrink it more by 50% or more. ( I'm a minimalist who doesn't want to own anything)

Today I can recoil & wick my attys without paying much attention to the process,,, but the very first coil I made was on a factory coil that was meant to be trashed,,, I remember being a nervous wreck worried I was going to catch my home on fire or,,,,, blow up the kitchen. - I chose to recoil & rewick in the kitchen figuring I could skate-by maybe in an insurance claim!!!! Today I laugh at myself for my old fears. But those old fears likely kept me safe.

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I quit smoking using a mtl Innokin t18 vape pen, and then the Innokin t22 kit.

3 months later, I got my first external battery mod, and an Innokin zenith tank.

I then developed shinyitis, and bought 1 or 10 backup external battery mods. At this time I got my first RTA - sxk doggystyle RTA and was absolutely blown away with flavour, and how beginner friendly the RTA was to build.

RTA shinyitis followed - and I tried as many mtl RTAs as I could. My draw preferences changed here too. I went from wanting a tight mtl draw, to an extremely airy mtl draw (a restricted lung hit draw for normal ppl ;)

Got into DIY mixing next - and again I was blown away with the flavours of mixes I had created.

More recently - I fell down the Squonk Rabbit Hole and I've been having fun trying different RDAs.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Mine changed a lot in the first six months, and then settled down and have hardly changed at all in the last 5 years. Squonking into small-chambered (MTL) RDAs at 15-20 watts. Nic in the mid teens. Consumption ~5 ml/day. I have no real interest in new devices since 2015 or thereabouts. The ones I have get the job done with no muss and no fuss. Heck, the last time I did anything to any of my devices other than fill the bottle and put in a freshly charged battery was on July 7th. (Yes I keep a log).

Puff2K

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 10, 2015
    USA
    I started with an Innokin 20w MVP and a Kanger protank 3.

I tried the eleaf gs air tank and loved it and bought several more. All of them need cleaning of course (because I can't do that here).

Then, I was in the hospital for 3 months without smoking or vaping. I craved my vape that whole time. Then I was moved into this place.

I used to vape at home very differently than now. I'd have my vape as soon as I woke up, and average a hit every 10 to 20 minutes.

Now, I can only vape by going to the smoke breaks 4x day. The smokers are divided into three groups and the staff hand out the cigarettes and light them for the residents. We sit on a patio in back of the building. Each group gets 20 minutes to smoke one or two cigarettes and then we come back in. So I use my vape for 20 minutes. And rinse and repeat. In the winter, days can pass without a smokers break when it's too cold for us to go outside. As big of a change as this was, I vape less ejuice here.

Oh, and I bought a few aio disposable little Juul sized things (but NOT juuls) to use after I turn my light out, and exhale under my blanket. They are so convenient. I don't know how much nic they have but they will help a lot on no vaping days. I should get more.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
    Jan 31, 2019
    Well, I could see many changes, some reduction, and also a little grown on some others! Amazing,
    I my case pods and more mtl devices have changed the rules, I love building and trying, coils and cotton, I was making some coils and rebuilding a RTA for a dude, we were talking mostly about this, how everything changes.

I'm glad to see some of the shared stories, some of them are pretty familiar for me!

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    How have your vaping habits and hobby changed, has It been affected by new devices and new trends?
    Definitely! I started my journey with the crappy cig-alikes but they didn't do it for me. Then a couple years later I tried again with the cartos and had success. Then plastic tanks with long-leg coil heads, and I learned how to wrap replacement coils myself with Kanthal. Then glass tanks with modern replaceable coil units, then sub-ohm, which was when I decided to start mixing my own DIY e-liquid because I consumed more. I upgraded to bigger and more powerful units each time a new innovation appeared. I was blown away when direct-lung vaping became a thing.

My greatest thrill was when I got my Zeus RTA and could finally chuck clouds like all the Youtube reviewers (without cheating and using a spotlight)! And rebuildable meant no more dependence on short-lived, expensive coil heads with their planned obsolescence. I upgraded from mediocre cotton to high-performance, long-lasting rayon.

Recently I started carrying a smaller pod unit for secondary stealth vaping with the high-mg salt nic, which I upgraded last month to the ultrasonic Zip nebulizer by Usonicig.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Then I was moved into this place.
    Now, I can only vape by going to the smoke breaks 4x day. The smokers are divided into three groups and the staff hand out the cigarettes and light them for the residents. We sit on a patio in back of the building. Each group gets 20 minutes to smoke one or two cigarettes and then we come back in. So I use my vape for 20 minutes. And rinse and repeat. In the winter, days can pass without a smokers break when it's too cold for us to go outside.
    That sounds almost like being in a prison. I don't think I take well to it. In fact, I think I'd be plotting my escape, followed by revenge on whoever caused me to be moved there.:blink:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread