The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Haven't bought any pre-mixed in weeks!

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Joe13, Oct 30, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Joe13

Joe13 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Sep 25, 2013
    Richmond, VA, USA
    Been vaping exclusively DIY e-liquid for a few weeks now. Managed to create a few ADV recipes for myself - Now that's what it's all about! Mixed up some unvapable ones too, but that's how it goes! And those failures were extremely valuable in teaching me how to use my flavors.

Far and away, my favorite part is sharing the good ones.

I have an academic background in physics, so I'm well-acquainted with accurate measurements. I get that some people may be intimidated by using syringes, graduated cylinders, and pipettes, not to mention the hazards of working with 100mg/mL nicotine solution. To these people, I say "Practice first with tap water". Water is cheap and safe. Once you're familiar with how to operate your tools, it'll be easy-peazy to follow a published recipe with real ingredients.

I've calculated that my own e-liquid, including the empty bottle and the shipping for what I can't get locally, costs about $1.60 per 10 mL. Local vape shop sells 10 mL bottles of e-liquid for $7.99. That's 80% off (!). I could probably reduce the cost even further by buying my supplies in bulk. And I get exactly the flavors and strengths that I like.

I understand that some people can't follow the directions on a box of mac and cheese. DIY e-liquid is probably not for this group. The potential danger is far too great. But if you're on the fence, I'd encourage you to go for it.

That e-liquid ain't gonna mix itself!

(I was a motivational speaker in my previous life.)

2. cskent

cskent Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 24, 2010
    Ohio
    I haven't bought juice from a vendor in over a year, I vape diy mixes exclusively now. I'm simply too cheap to spend what most vendors are asking for their products, now that I know how much it actually costs to make my own. Even if you were to waste half of your ingredients on unvapeable juice, you're still going to come out ahead financially. There is a learning curve to it though, but once you get a bit of experience, it gets easier and less wasteful.

3. cookiebun

cookiebun Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Joe13
    You're saying those rotten plastic pipettes actually work?
    I hate those things. Maybe I'll practice with some water.

4. Stosh

Stosh Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 2, 2010
    Nevada
    And another mad scientist is born!!! welcome to DIY, abandon hope all ye who enter.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. Hoofhearted62

Hoofhearted62 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2013
    South Park, Pa. USA
    I have a few hundred recipes to get to yet.
    20131030_144825.jpg

6. Blitzdonlife

Blitzdonlife Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    I also diy my own juices instead of buying pre-mixed. The cost savings is a big plus, but the enjoyment I get from making my own mixes when they turn out right is the best part for me. Keep on mixing, I know I will be!

7. Bob Chill

Bob Chill Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Sans Nom, USA
    I only order 3 pre-mixes nowadays and I haven't chased a new pre-mix in months. I got sick of ordering, waiting, sampling, not liking, trying again, ordering new stuff, waiting, not liking, and on and on.

Now that I can make almost a dozen great flavors without even having to think about it and know precisely what is in my mix. I really don't think I'm going back to pre-mix except for a select few flavors. It's totally satisfying and liberating with DIY. Just like cooking and growing vegetables. You learn to make exactly what you like and never get bored.

8. Hoofhearted62

Hoofhearted62 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2013
    South Park, Pa. USA
    of the 30-35 batches I've made only 2 were a disaster. the rest still tweaking for my tastes but definitely vapeable

9. FinallyQuit

FinallyQuit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 27, 2011
    SC
    The last pre-mix I bought was along with the purchase of Nude Nic's 100mg, it was honey tobacco, and it was many moons ago. I never found my so-called ADV and I'm particularly thrifty so DIY works for me. Of course I'm not vaping the holy grail or trying to recreate one, I'm just making stuff to suit my tastes and keep me off cigs.

10. john333

john333 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I encourage anyone considering DIY to try it. I happen to like math so using the EJuiceMeUp calculator was no big deal. I like cooking comfort foods too so recipes came fairly easy. My little triumph came when I realized I hadn't spent a dime in over three months. Who needs vape mail when you're waiting on your new recipe to steep!

11. Joe13

Sep 25, 2013
    Richmond, VA, USA
    Hey! I started with those rotten plastic pipettes, because I already had some in my garage lab. Doesn't everyone already have a modestly-equipped lab in their garage?

Syringes, grasshopper.

12. john333

john333 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2011
    Indiana
    After DIYing a couple months I decided to get some glass syringes. I recommend them to anyone in this for the long haul. I have a 1ml 2ml and 5ml. For my purposes that's all I need. It's nice how they glide so easily. They aren't exactly cheap. I paid around $12 each from Northern Technologies. Still, that's cheaper than a 30ml bottle of vendor liquid. When mixing flavors with the 1ml, to avoid any cross contamination from flavor bottle to flavor bottle you can have a cup of distilled water at your station to flush the needle. More often than not I just wipe the outside of the needle with a damp paper towel.

13. dannyv45

dannyv45 ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    DYI may cost more then your willing to spend at first but the savings are substantial once you get the hang of it. I spent a small fortune when I first started and now I find myself spending maybe $10 a month or less on DYI supplies. I've even learned to purchase rebuildable hardware so the cost savings for me is even greater.

14. Joe13

Sep 25, 2013
    Richmond, VA, USA
    This forum is chock-full of enablers. :smokie:

15. dannyv45

dannyv45 ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Get enabled and get ordering:)

16. Bob Chill

Bob Chill Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Sans Nom, USA
    I owe this subforum everything for getting into DIY. Never could have learned so quickly without it. I mixed 6 different recipes earlier today and it took less than 45 minutes. It gets soo easy once you figure out a couple that you really like. Takes the risk out of mixing some new experiments when the worst case scenario is not liking it and then just picking up something you already know you like.

17. Moogle

Moogle Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 5, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I started DIY 6 months ago and now I have 36 15 ml dropper bottles and some 2 oz amber and most of them are full of juice steeping. I have well over 400 ml chillin'. At first my recipes weren't that great but now I have the confidence to try a new idea with the aid of the flavor vendor percentage lists here on ECF. I always encourage vapers I know to DIY if I think they can handle it. It's funny when they say no way. I samples some Boba's from one of my co-workers and was like,"Really, this is what everyone's raving about?" It was good and maybe hard to nail down a clone but there are soooo many other flavors and possibilities. I gave my MOD and he put his drip tip on and he tried my lowly DIY DK TAB clone and his eyebrows raised. Later that day he comes back with some questions about DIY. LOL.

18. Dave_in_OK

Dave_in_OK Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    I haven't ordered any vendor juice since March and nether have my test subjects err I mean friends :evil:

19. ardvaark

ardvaark Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 4, 2012
    Santa Clara, CA
    Welcome Dave in Oklahoma! My name is Peter and I'm a DIYaholic, I've been premade vendor free for 6 months! And it get easier every day! I don't even think about premade juices anymore, I have no desire for it. I do however expect to be having a "slip" once I can afford some Bobas though. :(

:lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Enjoy!

Peter

20. JD1

JD1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    On my last order from fasttech I dropped in a bottle of hangsen ry4 just to see how it compared to a diy mix using the hangsen ry4 flavoring. (They were basically the same, I should have saved my money).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.