Haven't paid attention to the market, need help picking a new mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unkindstatistic

Nov 16, 2014
Fargo ND
Hello all!
I am saddened to say that over the last year I haven't paid attention to any of the new hardware that's come out, but I officially need a new mod as my Plato has finally been dropped 1 too many times after a full year of use . I would like a dual 18650 mod due to the battery life but I have rarely gone over 50 watts as I usually prefer tc or .5 coils. I would like a mod that's durable (I'm good at dropping stuff), and something that's just going to be generally reliable (college has sapped my hardware budget so I can only get a new mod every 6 months or so). Tc is preferred. Any good mods you guys would recommend? I was thinking the new tesla 120 steam punk but I know tesla has been spotty in the past. Also in the market for a new tank as I've only been using a all in one vape .
Thank you for your help!

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
If a 2 battery mod I'd suggest the Alien 220w with the Baby Beast combo. In a one battery mod I still like my Evic Mini's but there are lots out there to choose from and they all work pretty much the same. Just make sure it supports SS in TC mode. Asters are relatively cheap and though they don't stand up well (I mean they have small bases and can fall over easily) they work great and of course there is the always favorite, Pico's. For tanks I still like the Crown 1's but for a small tank the Wismec Theorem's are also a great tank. No leaking and the notched coil seems to last a lifetime as I've yet to have to change one. The only complaint I ever heard about the Theorem's was about how awkward the airflow adjustment was but once adjusted you can just lock it in place and forget about it. That tank is pretty inexpensive now too and looks great on an Aster (though mine are occupying my Ijoy Solo Mini's).

Oh and hello & welcome.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Smoant Battlestar is a wonderful mod. The tc works great and I've been using mine with the uwell crown w/.5 coils in tc mode. The crown tanks been out for awhile but is a solid performer. The Battlestar mod has some reviews you should check out as it's hard to find anybody with something bad to say about it. Misthub has the mod for around $40 and reddit15 brings the price down even more.

Reactions: LMS62

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Hi . For under 60 dollars you can get a pioneer4u ipv8. It's got temp control if that's your thing, can run different wires, and runs up to 230 watts. The new chip set it's running is extremely accurate. It takes two 18650s and can be charged on unit or batteries charged outside. Which ever you prefer. It's easy to use, feels great in your hand and looks nice! It's rounded corners and small size makes it super easy to hold and carry with you. The chip makes your experience smooth and you might find yourself vaping at a higher than usual wattage due to it not being hot and not burning your coil.its sturdy and trust me, can take a few hits.. I've dropped mine a few times without any issues. It's got a quick release battery door, making changing batteries easy. I've had ZERO problems with this mod.i highly recommend this mod. It's made by pioneer4u. You can find the ipv8 online for under 60. It's a great mod!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Smoant Battlestar is a wonderful mod. The tc works great and I've been using mine with the uwell crown w/.5 coils in tc mode. The crown tanks been out for awhile but is a solid performer. The Battlestar mod has some reviews you should check out as it's hard to find anybody with something bad to say about it. Misthub has the mod for around $40 and reddit15 brings the price down even more.

Interesting. This is what I was going to post...

I have two 2 x 18650 mods. (Smoant Battlestar and Fuchai 213) Neither strike me as likely to survive much of a drop. I know this doesn't help much, but you should get something that has thick silicone covers available, the thicker the better really.

Maybe the Battlestar would be a good idea with a cover/sleeve?

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Interesting. This is what I was going to post...

I have two 2 x 18650 mods. (Smoant Battlestar and Fuchai 213) Neither strike me as likely to survive much of a drop. I know this doesn't help much, but you should get something that has thick silicone covers available, the thicker the better really.

Maybe the Battlestar would be a good idea with a cover/sleeve?
I think the Battlestar feels durable and is put together quite well. Anthony vapes who is a member on this forum did a review where he took it apart and it's built tough. He thought so being the one doing it and from what I seen on the review it looked tough. I'm surprised you came to that conclusion. Anyway it runs great in watt and especially temp mode. It gives me a smooth even vape in tc.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I think the Battlestar feels durable and is put together quite well. Anthony vapes who is a member on this forum did a review where he took it apart and it's built tough. He thought so being the one doing it and from what I seen on the review it looked tough. I'm surprised you came to that conclusion. Anyway it runs great in watt and especially temp mode. It gives me a smooth even vape in tc.

I'm sure you are right. I've been treating both with kid gloves, maybe unfairly.

Reactions: Eskie

Unkindstatistic

Nov 16, 2014
Fargo ND
Well thank you all for your responses! After a lot of research I'm gonna go with the battlestar, it seems tried and true and many reviewers seem to be using it in tank reviews as well (now my hardest decision with it is whether to go gold plated or copper). Now I'm stuck on the tank, I like the big baby but I don't think I can spend that much on juice, I like to go through up to 10ml a day to save some money. Any good flavor tanks (flavors much more important to me) that won't go through oodles of juice?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well thank you all for your responses! After a lot of research I'm gonna go with the battlestar, it seems tried and true and many reviewers seem to be using it in tank reviews as well (now my hardest decision with it is whether to go gold plated or copper). Now I'm stuck on the tank, I like the big baby but I don't think I can spend that much on juice, I like to go through up to 10ml a day to save some money. Any good flavor tanks (flavors much more important to me) that won't go through oodles of juice?

Simpler solution. DIY your own juice.

Reactions: Opinionated

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
For a tank I use the uwell crown, the original one, there is a 2 and a 3 that is coming out soon or already out. Anyway the crown puts out great flavor with the .5 ss coils and doesn't eat up a lot of juice. I haven't tried the newer crown tanks because the first one works great and never leaks and I get a month outta the coils. Your results may vary but still it's a great tank.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I usually vape 5 to 7 ml a day with my regular RTAs of a 6 mg juice. If I went to the BBB as my adv I'd be maybe 1 or 2 ml higher. I know I can vape down a Baby Beast in a little less than half a day when I was out and about with it, and as it's the same coils (well they can be the same if you choose to) I'd calculate off of that.

I'm not really into clouds, but found the flavor on these tanks better than I expected. It also means for me I can use the higher ohm coils without any hit on flavor, just less cloud. Even with my current use I'm happy I DIY as I'd hate to be running through a 30 ml bottle in 4 days.

Unkindstatistic

Nov 16, 2014
Fargo ND
I usually vape 5 to 7 ml a day with my regular RTAs of a 6 mg juice. If I went to the BBB as my adv I'd be maybe 1 or 2 ml higher. I know I can vape down a Baby Beast in a little less than half a day when I was out and about with it, and as it's the same coils (well they can be the same if you choose to) I'd calculate off of that.

I'm not really into clouds, but found the flavor on these tanks better than I expected. It also means for me I can use the higher ohm coils without any hit on flavor, just less cloud. Even with my current use I'm happy I DIY as I'd hate to be running through a 30 ml bottle in 4 days.

Well that's not nearly as much juice as people were making it out to be, 10 ml? I can afford that haha, the way people were talking it made it sound like it was a 30 a day tank XD

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well that's not nearly as much juice as people were making it out to be, 10 ml? I can afford that haha, the way people were talking it made it sound like it was a 30 a day tank XD

Hey, I've got no doubt if you wanted to chain vape that tank down in a day, you wouldn't have any problem. It's all a question of your vape style.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I can go through 20ml in a day on...of all things...a merlin mini rta lol.

I recommend a Predator mod. The Alien is awesome as well. So is the IPV8. All three will do exactly what you require, and it really boils down to which ones looks you prefer.

You must have callouses on your fingers from opening and closing that tank 10 times a day.:lol:

Reactions: mongo74
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread