Having a debate with my BFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

RescueDogs

Aug 10, 2018
Good afternoon y’all.

I’m very new to the world of vape. So far I absolutely love it and am hella proud to say for the very first time in my life I’ve gone 4 days without analogs (don’t wanna trigger anyone with the word)
Anyhoo- I purchased 4 ejuices over the weekend....all of them delicious fruity flavours. My BFF who vapes menthol tells me that fruity flavours are not a wise choice and cause lung issues. I’ve tried doing a search but really can’t see much info on that so I am hoping she’s wrong...
Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated
Have a great afternoon

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Good afternoon y’all.

I’m very new to the world of vape. So far I absolutely love it and am hella proud to say for the very first time in my life I’ve gone 4 days without analogs (don’t wanna trigger anyone with the word)
Anyhoo- I purchased 4 ejuices over the weekend....all of them delicious fruity flavours. My BFF who vapes menthol tells me that fruity flavours are not a wise choice and cause lung issues. I’ve tried doing a search but really can’t see much info on that so I am hoping she’s wrong...
Have a great afternoon
If your friend would like you to post a peer-reviewed studies that is using humans as test subjects, we would all love to see that.

Actually, I would think that the menthol would be better suited, if any damage is going to be done, But that is just my opinion based on how menthol deadens taste buds if you use too high of a level. and cause people not to taste anything at all.

There is a lot that goes on that the media does not report. Vapers are usually not liked because we have taken profit out of the pockets of Big tobacco(BT) and state coffers. Too many agencies, business, etc are losing great sums of $ and so they drum up half truths/lies and feed it to the media....

Anyway, best to ask questions here to get to the truth. Believe me, vapers are watching for studies all the time and most are junk.

:)

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
There is no evidence of that claim that I am aware of. There are lots of people that vape fruit flavors that will tell you their lungs feel better since they stopped smoking and started vaping fruit flavors.

Just tell your friend that smoking cigs is bad for the lungs, and vaping has gotten you away from that.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
British Health Service says that vaping - regardless of flavor - is at least 95% LESS harmful than smoking. So if a certain flavor makes it only 94% less harmful, is that really a problem?? (Not that it does, or doesn't. As said, no real research on it that we know of. And we DO watch! :) )

And congrats on making the switch! :thumbs: If fruity flavors keep you off cigs, then they are just what you need!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
All the so-called "studies" that I have seen that flavors might be dangerous have been rebuked as false claims or poorly done studies. These studies usually are sponsored/funded by Big Tobacco, Big Pharm, or antismoking groups who have their own agenda. Most of these bad studies get a lot of airplay on social media, and as everyone knows if you see it on the internet it must be true. :rolleyes:

Reputable scientific studies all seem to agree that vaping is safer than smoking. That's all I need to know.

A few years ago,there were a couple of studies that claimed vaping cinnamon flavors was harmful. These were rebuked by a noted scientist in the below video.

Water based cinnamon? (No oil)

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Certain citrus flavorings can damage plastic tanks - other than that, there have not been issues with fruit flavors. There has been a lot of talk about Diacetyl, used in "Buttery" flavors, as it was a factor in causing "popcorn lung" - but the people who got popcorn lung were breathing in concentrations thousands of time higher than you'd probably get in a vape (they worked in a microwave popcorn factory - thus the name). Most vendors replaced diacetyl, but not all.

Good afternoon y’all.

Have a great afternoon

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Good afternoon y’all.

Have a great afternoon
I've been vaping fruits for 4+ years and my lungs are better now than after smoking menthol for 46 years.;)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I’m double vaping my fruit flavours now. Thank u all. ♥️And the BFF just messaged me that the problem only came from juices made in China.
Not true either. I diy and some of my fruits are China concentrates.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I’m double vaping my fruit flavours now. Thank u all. ♥️And the BFF just messaged me that the problem only came from juices made in China.

And did BFF happen to say why she believes/how she knows that?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Tell the BFF that menthol crystalizes the lungs, if you must smoke whatever you do don't smoke Salem. And how has that turned out? Has anyone ever been diagnosed with crystalized lungs??? Tobacco Control lies as much as Big Tobacco. They're 2 peas in a big money swapping pod.

Vaping has been around over 10 years. If there were as big of problems as Tobacco Control claims we would see them by now and that includes from flavorings.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I wasn't a big menthol smoker to start with even with cigarettes, but I have heard so much conflicting stuff about it, I don't really know what to think. I mean, doesn't menthol reduce inflammation or something? (I do realize that things act differently sometimes in the lungs). I'd be interested in hearing more from the BBC on it though.

However, BFF are great and all but mainly you need to make your health decisions on your own, because I'm sure that (much like my mother who recently informed me that vaping might be harmful after nagging me to quit smoking) her concerns are real, legitimate, and etc., and I'm sure it is coming out of well meaning concern and whatnot, but unless your BFF is a doctor and perhaps not even then, she is not going to be a reliable source of e-cigarette knowledge for you, and it's also extraordinarily easy to be an "expert" in someone else's life, while not NECESSARILY actually being that much of an expert.

Vaping has been shown to be safer than smoking, period. I really doubt there is enough research on any individual FLAVORS, but there is some but really, if you are transitioning from vaping to smoking, worry about OVERALL safety and the huge improvements you will likely see and receive from giving up smoking and you can tweak things from there.

"Studies" released to the general public, many of them, are poorly done and misleading, especially as reported on in the media.

So don't freak out quite yet.

Anna

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread