Having my 6th cigarette, but I'm OK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Good luck moving forward LOL you must have different smoking motivations than me. I stress smoke so any post starting with "I'm smoking my 6th cigarette so far..."

Is going to end with, "and my dog died, I have leprosy, and they just repossessed my house."

But good luck onward and upward. LOL.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hate to break it to you @Vaperer but for the long term gains, you have to go longer. I mean it MAY be better than say, 3 packs a day, but I think some of the lung stuff doesn't EVEN start to happen for like 48 hours not to mention everything else. Body need time to detox.

I had to discover that unpleasant truth for myself actually because I always had this dream of a cigarette a day since my early 20s and vaping could have made that a reality for me (probably) but sadly, that is not how it works.

With that said, yes, it is better than like 2, 3, 4, 6, 19, 75 cigarettes per day certainly but like, one cigarette does quite a fair bit as it happens, but you most certainly a) get to decide for yourself and b) you don't like, have to make that decision TODAY.

I really want to smoke today, but I'm sick. However, that freaking relapse I had after like one year without was a TON harder to manage than I thought it might be, I'm scared to is my main motivation otherwise I'd be ALL OVER IT.

Anna

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Hate to break it to you @Vaperer but for the long term gains, you have to go longer. I mean it MAY be better than say, 3 packs a day, but I think some of the lung stuff doesn't EVEN start to happen for like 48 hours not to mention everything else. Body need time to detox.

I had to discover that unpleasant truth for myself actually because I always had this dream of a cigarette a day since my early 20s and vaping could have made that a reality for me (probably) but sadly, that is not how it works.

With that said, yes, it is better than like 2, 3, 4, 6, 19, 75 cigarettes per day certainly but like, one cigarette does quite a fair bit as it happens, but you most certainly a) get to decide for yourself and b) you don't like, have to make that decision TODAY.

I really want to smoke today, but I'm sick. However, that freaking relapse I had after like one year without was a TON harder to manage than I thought it might be, I'm scared to is my main motivation otherwise I'd be ALL OVER IT.

Anna
Well I have a good excuse. My wife smokes a cigarette with her coffee and the urges just incredible. So it's really her fault you see it's really not my fault. Nah just kidding. If I get my hands on the right kind of cigar I will smoke it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My husband smokes all the time and I still go out and hang with him even in the throes of quitting. I just had to like, understand that there was ALWAYS gonna be all the tobacco in the world, but it was my choice whether to smoke it or not. I'm actually GLAD we did not try to quit together our household would have been minus ONE (and I'm not talking divorce, I'm talking homicide).

He is also in luck that my dad was a smoker, so I find the smell of even horrible, second hand smoke just kind of vaguely comforting. In fact (if he would do it, he doesn't care for too much physical contact if I'm all sick) I would not mind a nice long SNIFFFFFFF right this second. LOL. But yea, I had to break myself of going, "Oh wow you smell!" because then he'd get all guilty and I'd be like, "NO I mean GOOD is what I mean!" and who knows it might be subtly reinforcing for all I know (I would still like it if he would turn to vaping) so I just stopped saying anything at all.

I was a 3 ppd smoker, but like, he started smoking age 8. I don't really know what's harder, actually.

OH GOD I WANT TO SMOKE so much, fortunately it is 4 minutes away from my next dose of Theraflu.

Anna

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
I'm sure there are those that will disagree, but once a person has smoked - whether they now vape or not - I think there will be many moments over the course of the rest of the lives that they will crave a cigarette.

An ex-coworker who quit, long before vaping came to be, told me that after 25 years she still had cravings from time to time. She also liked the smell of cigarettes.

And, my brother, who claims to hate the smell of smoke - as I said, after 30 years of not smoking still chews on straws as a replacement.

There are some elements of smoking that will stick with you the rest of your life. Handling those are the key - however it is you chose to handle them.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I'm sure there are those that will disagree, but once a person has smoked - whether they now vape or not - I think there will be many moments over the course of the rest of the lives that they will crave a cigarette.

An ex-coworker who quit, long before vaping came to be, told me that after 25 years she still had cravings from time to time. She also liked the smell of cigarettes.

And, my brother, who claims to hate the smell of smoke - as I said, after 30 years of not smoking still chews on straws as a replacement.

There are some elements of smoking that will stick with you the rest of your life. Handling those are the key - however it is you chose to handle them.

While i agree, some people will always have an urge for a cigarette once in a while, I can also say from experience that some do not. Around my first week of vaping I have put the cigs down and not even gave them a second thought. It has been just over a year since I started vaping and not once had a craving for one after the first week or so. I keep the open pack of cigarettes I stopped using on my stand beside my bed too, so it's not like I just stay away from them either. I just have no desires to smoke at all.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Let me be clear, I do not have the same cravings I did for cigarettes with vaping than I did cold turkey. They're usually more mental than physical and they last far less time.

I went cold turkey when pregnant and nursing and I had cravings most days, the kind that make you cry.

I think some folks brains do, like, manage to change on a more permanent basis than others, and depending on your brain type, yeah, like, you may not have as many "physical" cravings where your body is literally DEMANDING that you imbibe the substance come what may, and IDK I just happen to be particularly vulnerable to tobacco. My dad is the same way. Other folks seem to have a different time with that, and IDK, my other problem was when I didn't have cravings as much, I MISSED them, in this kind of, "Crying when you come across a lighter in the laundry and you have no use for it, and also thinking, "I don't have a sudden desire for a thing that can be so instantly satiated, like when I used to want to smoke, but like, now I don't have that giant hole anymore."

I actually at times did better during the hard part. And I have given up TONS of stuff successfully, but tobacco is pretty pernicious.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
While i agree, some people will always have an urge for a cigarette once in a while, I can also say from experience that some do not. Around my first week of vaping I have put the cigs down and not even gave them a second thought. It has been just over a year since I started vaping and not once had a craving for one after the first week or so. I keep the open pack of cigarettes I stopped using on my stand beside my bed too, so it's not like I just stay away from them either. I just have no desires to smoke at all.
Once I smoked my last cigarette, I've never been tempted to try another. I guess I'm one of the luckier ones. Vaping satisfies my physical needs for nicotine and satisfies the behavior impulses (hand to mouth; desire to inhale/exhale), too.

Nowadays, I detest cigarette smoke. I walk by an outdoor ashtray at the grocery store and can smell the butts and ashes several feet away. I can smell smoke on my smoker friends/family clothes and hair when I hug them. Even though I find it repelling, I don't say anything because at one time I smelled just as bad as they do.

Last edited:

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Some can just change their mind. I won't use the word envy when describing their ability to do that. Admire would be more appropriate. There have been things I changed my mind about too. It was like hitting an off switch had occured.

But I also know if I ever sample those things the battle will resume. The battle it took to turn off that switch.

So if you can have a few during a stressful time and stop again.... BRAVO!! You have my admiration Chajo.

My sister stopped smoking 15 years ago by changing some habits and routines. She also used nicotine losenges. To this day she still uses a losenge after meals. I asked her if she'll ever smoke again.
She replied "I hope not".

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Nowadays, I detest cigarette smoke. I walk by an outdoor ashtray at the grocery store and can smell the butts and ashes several feet away. I can smell smoke on my smoker friends/family clothes and hair when I hug them. Even though I find it repelling, I don't say anything because at one time I smelled just as bad as they do.

I guess I'm lucky in this case, as I have no sense of smell. Cigarettes neither entices me or repulses me. They are just there.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
I have got to find a vape I like more than one I have now to actually entertain never having a cigarette again. And, I will continue to try different ones until at least one works for me. In the meantime, knowing me, I am not delusional enough to think that I can just start vaping and not have any cigarettes - for 'a while'. What is 'a while'?...well, I don't know yet.

All I know is that it's taken me 3 years of playing around off-n-on with what I will call 'dumb vapes' (Blu, Vuse, even EVOD) to realize I needed to get something more serious (which didn't start until May this year). At least now, I reach for the vape first - most of the time anyway. I think, for me, it's going to be a long haul.

I've never been a quitter but I've noticed that 'persistence, diligence, fortitude, sheer will, brute force, etc.' have diminished a little with age...:ohmy:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah for me vaping was a process. I quit one time for six weeks on one of them Njoy things but then I went back to work. I literally had my first cigarette on the way to the interview, I am a stress smoker, I found out.

I think the variety of options and HAVING them and switching them up was hugely helpful too. I kind of had to make vaping AT LEAST as fun as smoking and getting through all my heinous oral surgeries and being successful was helpful too.

I REALLY do not want to be returning to vaping when I go back to work this time but I am FAR better prepared.

If you don't take to vaping immediately it can be kind of marathon not a sprint but that is totally okay. If I had only ever had ONE chance to try vaping.... I never would have quit.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread