Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Seen a couple of articles about this. The term used to describe the way the legislation is introduced is always vague. The quoted article uses “flirting with” but no one seems to want to describe how and to what level the legislation is being proposed. This smells funny to me.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Well at least when it comes to "tobacco" Regulation, Hawaii makes states like California (and Vermont?) look mainstream.

LOL
I guess the state is rich enough to give up the taxes they collect on cigs....they can just transfer them to ecigs. Don't know about you but I have never met a 100 year old smoker......lmao

:)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm assuming it would also include vaping?
There’s just so little information. I think it very very likely that if it initially doesn’t there will be very intense pressure from companies selling other nicotine based products to include it. Assuming this is anything to begin with, which I am not sure of.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I guess the state is rich enough to give up the taxes they collect on cigs....they can just transfer them to ecigs. Don't know about you but I have never met a 100 year old smoker......lmao

:)

That's the Beauty of being able to Create Tax Legislation virtually unopposed.

You can dream up something Crazy like this. And whatever Shortfall you incur Tax-Wise can be made up by just Raising the Tax Rate on something else. Or Creating a New Tax.

I'm curious where Cigars will fall into the Mix?

And if they are Also banned, will people start smuggling in Cigars to Hawaii kinda like the way people smuggle out Cigars from Cuba?

Looks like Cigars, as well as e-Cigarettes and Oral Tobacco Isn't included in this proposed Legislation.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
That's the Beauty of being able to Create Tax Legislation virtually unopposed.

You can dream up something Crazy like this. And whatever Shortfall you incur Tax-Wise can be made up by just Raising the Tax Rate on something else. Or Creating a New Tax.

I'm curious where Cigars will fall into the Mix?

And if they are Also banned, will people start smuggling in Cigars to Hawaii kinda like the way people smuggle out Cigars from Cuba?
I don't think you will to smuggle them as the article only said to ban sales of, not the use of. Will be interesting in watching if and how this plays out.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I have never met a 100 year old smoker.

100-year-old-smoker.jpg

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
While they mention the FDA I am surprised they are leaving ecigs alone. Maybe someone there has a little bit of common sense. At least it sounds like at least 1 person is not afraid of big tobacco.

If you look at the Enormity of Bills that Rep. Creagan wants to be Passed, It wouldn't surprise me if he has something Extra Special just for e-Cigarettes.

Good, Bad or Indifferent.

LOL

BTW - Check Out these results when a person searches for the word "e-Cigarette" in the Hawaii Legislation...

e-Cigarettes - Hawaii State Legislature

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
They'd be giving up $3.20 a pack in cigarette taxes and ~$50 million / year in MSA funds, no? ;)
Plus there’s all the gas stations and convenience stores that basically survive on cigarette sales. Hostorically If they don’t ban pipes though cigarette tobacco just gets renamed pipe tobaccco and everyone makes roll-your-owns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread