Hawaii Considers Raising Minimum Smoking Age to 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    The state of Hawaii is considering amending the current smoking regulations, to incrementally raise the legal age at which one can purchase cigarettes to 100.

The legislation was proposed by democratic state representative Richard Creagan, and if implemented it would ultimately lead to an unprecedented ban on the sale of cigarettes in Hawaii, making it the first US state to implement such as measure.

Like in many other US states, currently Hawaiians must be 21 in order to be able to purchase cigarettes, but under the proposals, the age would rise to 30 in 2020, 40 in 2021, 50 in 2022, 60 in 2023, and then jump from 60 to 100 in 2024. Thankfully the age limit would not apply to safer alternatives such as e-cigarettes and snus.

Full article Here

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I think there is enough place on Hawaii to grow your own tobacco. ;)
    There is and there isn’t. Most of the land is bare rock or has less than an inch of top soil. The big island has more, and actually has a good bit of agriculture, but land is fearsomely expensive on all the islands. Back when I lived there in high school the pot growers all stakes out secret patches in the national parks and guarded them with things like land mines and shotgun traps, making the national parks too dangerous to wander in.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Back when I lived there in high school the pot growers all stakes out secret patches in the national parks and guarded them with things like land mines and shotgun traps, making the national parks too dangerous to wander in.
    Wouldn't it be ironic if those plots ended up being used to grow tobacco in the future? :blink:

Reactions: marianna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Wouldn't it be ironic if those plots ended up being used to grow tobacco in the future? :blink:
    Wouldn’t work. Tobacco is more fragile. It needs to be grown under an insecticide impregnated Muslin tent. Too easy to see.

Besides I’m not worried about the Hawaiian legislation. It’s a bill with a sole proponent who is famous for being a sensationalist wingnut in the first place. It will go nowhere.

There are sensationalist wingnuts on both sides of the aisle at both state and federal levels everywhere.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Hmmm.. perhaps they don’t have tobacco hornworms where that one modern picture was taken. Tobacco hornworms and cockroaches (and their susceptibility to juvenile hormone inhibitors) were my dad’s jam back when he did research for the USDA in the 70s and 80s. I know way too much about them. It was all about US production though.
    upload_2019-3-4_14-52-29.jpg

They take the tents down before harvest

marianna

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2012
    Netherlands
    Wouldn’t work. Tobacco is more fragile. It needs to be grown under an insecticide impregnated Muslin tent.......

Tobacco plants grow very easily, even in the Netherlands. I sowed them indoors and allowed them to grow up until they became too big, and then moved to my sunny balcony.
    Outdoors I only had to remove a snail once in a while.

I bought the seeds from > Pieter <

Reactions: Rossum

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Tobacco plants grow very easily, even in the Netherlands. I sowed them indoors and allowed them to grow up until they became too big, and then moved to my sunny balcony.
    Outdoors I only had to remove a snail once in a while.

I bought the seeds from > Pieter <
    That makes sense. It’s a shade plant and there aren’t any tobacco hornworms in the Netherlands
    Manduca sexta - Wikipedia

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread