Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Anyone and everyone who can attend please attend. Hopefully testimony already submitted will be given consideration.

Hearing HLT 03-12-14.

Please stress that it's as harmless as caffeine. Please remind them of the scared straight smoking ads and if that's what they really want for us ex-smokers who have finally found a way to be ex-smokers and have a chance of a healthy future.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
While HB 2495 would tax smokefree “electronic smoking devices” at a yet-to-be determined rate in 2015, it appears that the provision in the Senate approved bill to ban the use of “electronic smoking devices” wouldn't take effect until 2050 (which is 36 years from now).
Measure Status
SB2495 SD3.DOC

Has anyone else picked up on this 2050 implementation date, or am I reading the bill wrong?

I've also never seen a bill that was approved by a House or Senate (in the 49 other states) that would tax a product at a yet-to-be-determined rate.
I don't know how any responsible legislator could vote for a tax hike without knowing how much the tax would be increased.
Just who (and when) will determine the amount of the tax?

Last edited:

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
You're correct Bill - that is the bill still before the House (and Health committee today)(SB2495 SD 3). The 2050 is just to keep any parts of the bill not approved this time alive for discussion in the next years' agendas.

I am hoping (though have no grounds for it yet) that all they'll approve are the permit fees (not unreasonable at a price hike to $250 per annum) which would be in Oct 2014? January 2015? is the only part they'll agree on and banning e-cigarette use in public buildings.

I too was wondering when the unspecified will become specified. I think the referral of the bill has to go to two other committees now? - the Consumer Protection & Commerce Committe, and the Finance one.

Will keep looking. Hopefully someone else can provide an update?

While HB 2495 would tax smokefree “electronic smoking devices” at a yet-to-be determined rate in 2015, it appears that the provision in the Senate approved bill to ban the use of “electronic smoking devices” wouldn't take effect until 2050 (which is 36 years from now).
Measure Status
SB2495 SD3.DOC

Has anyone else picked up on this 2050 implementation date, or am I reading the bill wrong?

I've also never seen a bill that was approved by a House or Senate (in the 49 other states) that would tax a product at a yet-to-be-determined rate.
I don't know how any responsible legislator could vote for a tax hike without knowing how much the tax would be increased.
Just who (and when) will determine the amount of the tax?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread