HCigar nemesis mod just got burning hot for second time! Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathibg57

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2013
Norton, MA, USA
Hello,
first, thank you for taking time to help!
Okay...i am fairly new to mech mods...bought a genuine HCigar Nemesis clone mod, using AW IMR 18650 battery 3.7v, 2000 mAh with a Smok fuse. I just had this happen and would like to understand why...I was vaping my ProTank 2 with a 2.2 coil - first vape of the day so it might have been a fairly heavy vape...was then sitting, holding the mod, drinking my coffee when I realized it was getting REALLY hot in my hand (I am sure I was not pushing the firing button) so I quickly opened the bottom, dumped out my battery (which was NOT hot to touch) and immediately the mod started to cool off! This also happened to me one other time while driving my car and I responded the same way. When I put the battery back in with fuse still on, it stayed cool through another heavy vape then hold in my hand to try to duplicate the situation...can anyone explain how/why this is happening? Oh...I have two AW 18650 batteries that I swap out and have no idea if it's the same battery or not...also I switch tanks frequently with diff flavors and not sure which tank...only other thing I do is drip with old fashion, Joye 510 attomizers....some with wicks in, some wicks pulled and some bridgeless. I never buy anything less than 1.8 or higher than 2.5...in any coils...
thanks again,
Kathi

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
From what you describe it would seem that you have a short circuit happening within your mod. The short would be such that the mod itself is providing the load. That is in normal operation you push the button, and complete the circuit with the 2.0Ω coil acting as the load. What seems to be happening is the short is happening inside the mod, completing the circuit using the resistance of the mod body itself, likely one or two ohms in place of the coil. The mod body will heat up as any metal will with enough current passed through, the kantral we use just concentrates the heat where we want it, but any metal will heat with electrical current.

Best thing to do is dismantle the mod as much as possible and examine each part, paying particular attention to the insulators (510 connector is a likely suspect) to determine where the short may be occurring. Checking each component with a multi-meter for ohms to see if the insulators are insulating, and the conductive pieces are conducting properly. Sadly there is no easy answer to what the cause would be, but a close examination is in order for safety's sake.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Take a close look at the batteries to see if there are any tears or worn areas of the label. If so then cover them with tape.

The whole battery can (the metal container it is in) is negative, not just the disc area at the bottom, so on a mechmod with a bottom button then if the battery shorts to earth you have a circuit. Don't know if that applies to your genuine clone.

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
Stosh is on the right track here. Those 510 connectors have the cheapest cheesiest insulators separating the positive and negative posts. They are notorious for getting pushed in, which can happen with changing of multiple atomizers etc. on the device and cause a short to take place. Positive and negative come in contact and circuit is completed..causing the mod to heat up.

Please do not continue to use the device before giving it a thorough once over, and checking all connections. This could lead to a hard-short situation where the battery could get overloaded.

Take the battery out of the mod, a.s.a.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread