• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

He said I cannot Vape here

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the other week I was out and about in Hobart Town celebrating the fact I have a job, my first paying job:w00t: and I way enjoying my coffee and vape outside with my friend and this police officer told me to put out my cigarette, So I explained the differences in the two and he said "Just don't do it indoor or at the bus mall" fair enough I thought. Now to the other day I go to my place of employment to finalize the paper work and my supervisor walks out with me and as we get out of the door I take a quick vape, he blasted me for smoking with in 3 meters of the door, So once again I explained but he was like "Smoking is smoking now matter what you call it" he went on like this for about 5 minutes with second hand smoke, cancer, used butts and what not.

Has any else had this type of problem?

TheWrathOfSanity

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2009
Travis AFB, CA
www.myspace.com
I've always just acted as if mine was real. I don't do it inside my work (except for one of my jobs, but my manager does it himself in the back), I always huddle around with the smokers, they're better company anyway. I get to talk to the smokers about ecigs & have converted a few while doing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

AKeeFa

Feb 19, 2013
QLD
So the other week I was out and about in Hobart Town celebrating the fact I have a job, my first paying job:w00t: and I way enjoying my coffee and vape outside with my friend and this police officer told me to put out my cigarette, So I explained the differences in the two and he said "Just don't do it indoor or at the bus mall" fair enough I thought. Now to the other day I go to my place of employment to finalize the paper work and my supervisor walks out with me and as we get out of the door I take a quick vape, he blasted me for smoking with in 3 meters of the door, So once again I explained but he was like "Smoking is smoking now matter what you call it" he went on like this for about 5 minutes with second hand smoke, cancer, used butts and what not.

Has any else had this type of problem?

I work in a QLD government department and have my own office. My manager has walked in on me several times and asked me not to "smoke" in the office as it's not allowed in government departments. I simply say I'm not smoking therefore I am doing nothing wrong. Each time he has busted me and asked me not to, I simply say the same thing and ask him what is it he wants. It's hilarious.
Probably not a good idea to be such abrupt with a new employer though. Maybe you could try emailing him some info on the subject.

I also vape on public transport and at public venues such as bars and the Gabba. I'm a little more discreet about it on trains, buses and plains as I don't want anyone thinking I'm lighting a bomb.

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
I've always just acted as if mine was real.

Yep, that's how I behave. I do not vape in the Elizabeth St Mall, inside anywhere in Hobart. The way I see it is this:

vaping looks like smoking, especially if you have a stick battery - whacking great mods not so much, but the vapour still looks like smoke
someone is supposed to police the non-smoking rules, it's difficult for them to tell the difference at first glance, esp if they haven't heard of e-cigs
even if you convince that person that you aren't smoking, they may still have to explain to someone else who sees you & decides to light up a real one, why you weren't stopped. Not fair on the security person.

Especially in Hobart, where few people have even heard of c-cigs & vaping, I figure it's just nicer all round not to flaunt it. So apart from some notable exceptions (ask me about hospitals :D ), I act like I'm a smoker and if there are designated non-smoking areas. Unless someone asks me what the thing hanging around my neck is & the seem interested, when I do take a small puff just to let them see.

Having said that, your supervisor sounds like an ignoramus if they can't understand what the difference is.

So, SnifflingDarK , nice to meet another Hobart vaper. I see you're using an ego, I'm using a V4L Zeus. I'll keep an eye out for you around Hobart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread