Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
"The evidence so far shows that e-cigarettes are far less harmful than smoking.
And for some people they're a helpful aide to stop smoking."

If the FDA considered vaping as a prescription for stopping smoking, and ads were run on TV like the multiple ads we see for actual drugs... the vocal listing of the side effects (while showing people living their lives) wouldn't take the whole 4 minutes of the ads like they do now.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Teens - Since cigarettes were available there have always been rebelious teens who took up cigarettes. Something like 90% of smokers stated in their teens.

I don't doubt that some teens tried vaping prior to cigarettes. The data probably isn't out there about who among them may return to vaping. Some surely will.

What we are not seeing is statistical history of number of teens that ever smoked and how many smoke today.
We are not seeing statistics, though some probably exist on the number of teens taking up vaping vs. how many vape and move on to tobacco. As well, how many have smoked and then switch to vaping. Nor how many tried vaping and didn't take up either that or cigarettes for a sustained period. Quetionaires can be rahter broad. 'In the last 30 days have you used an e-cigarette <cigarette if you like>?' 'Yes...I walked past the gym and some classmates were leaning up agains the wall vaping. They asked if I wanted some...I took a puff...and went on to class.' Answers that truely require much more than a Yes or No response may not get reflected in the data...that's not stuff that can be crunched easily in stistical programs.

I guess studies that study groups of studies seems odd, though necessary, but I'm pleased to see the information go to Congress. No doubt a lot of studies studying studies goes on in many realms.

To say, 'Alarm! Alarm! Teens are taking up smoking after having tried e-cigarettes,' has no meaning without an overview of the numbers and in the context of historical patterns of teen smoking, 'perhaps' weighted by similar data for the overall population in regards to smoking trends and such...dunno.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Well they don't tell the entire story:

Teen Smoking Rate Drops to Historic Low in 2017, City Says
Teen Smoking Rate Drops to Historic Low in 2017, City Says

Teenagers’ tobacco use hits a record low, with a sharp drop in e-cigarettes
Teenagers’ tobacco use hits a record low, with a sharp drop in e-cigarettes

Adolescent Smoking Rates Reach Historic Lows, Despite Vaping's Popularity

smoking-by-12th-graders-MTF-1991-2017.jpg

There are many more like this, you can find them with a simple search. Whats the need for misrepresentation other than money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread