The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Heads up for new VV Grand owners

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by JC Okie, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. JC Okie

JC Okie REOnaut Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I've noticed several changes in ownership of some VV Grands lately, and I thought it might be worth mentioning that when you're not using your VV, you need to shut it off. There is a tiny, tiny little red light that stays on in the VV mechanism and it slowly drains the batteries. (You can see it in a really dark room when you take the door off.) I'm used to my mechanical grands, so I forgot about the on/off switch on the VVs.

I just lost a couple of batteries because I left them in a VV Grand, left the Grand turned on, and didn't vape it for a couple of weeks. I'm a veteran Reonaut and I knew better because we've discussed it, but some of you guys who are picking up VVs from the classifieds might not have read about this battery drain from the little red light.

Jan

2. custom-classic

custom-classic Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 18, 2013
    USA
    Thank you Jan. I didn't know that.

3. ed101z

ed101z Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    East TN
    Thanks Jan for the heads up. I'll keep it in mind IF I ever get a VV. Started out on VV and used the Joyetech eGo's, Vamo's and other VV devices for 1.5 years. However, that was then. Since getting my Reo Grand 3 months ago, and narrowing my ohms down from 1.8ohm, 1.6ohm, 1.5ohm, to 1.3ohm.... I have no need for VV at all.

Rob was right about the Mech Mod (Reo Grand). Before placing my order, he told me you won't need VV as you get better at building coils and understanding the math behind them. :)

4. JC Okie

Supporting member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Yep...I spend a lot of time with the mechanicals which is how this mishap with my batteries happened. I hadn't touched my VV in quite awhile....but I just forgot to turn it off before I abandoned it. When I took the batteries out and put them on my charger, they wouldn't't even register. One never did, and one finally started charging, but it was at 1.9 volts when the readout kicked in. Since I keep them in pairs, and since I don't trust the one that finally did charge, I'm going to dispose of them both.

5. Spydro

Spydro Sindoyen Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. My VVG died soon after I bought it, I haven't bothered with it since, but if I ever do get it back on line will keep that in mind.

6. Racehorse

Racehorse ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest

good point! This is true for all batts connected to an electronic device which adds to the self discharge drain.

and if not PLANNING on using batts for a while--- discharge to a partial charge of about 30 to 50% of capacity. (I use 40%) and store at room temp........and charge at least once a year to prevent over-discharge.

(The partial charge allows for cell voltage drop without risking depletion, ie, over-discharged state.........)

7. woodardjd

woodardjd Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    Learned this one the hard way. Sage advice.

8. Bigflyrodder

Bigflyrodder Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Very good advice, I'll admit I grabbed my vv in a panic just now to check...lol.

9. Yiorgo

Yiorgo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey Jan, My name is George you welcomed me into de'ville a couple months back .....I'm reacquainting myslef with the site in general. I've been using Tapatalk which is horible, its looks completely different and didnt even realize how many REO threads there are!. I'm soo glad i came across this lil nugget of information!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!! I just bought my VVG and 2 sets of brand NEW AW 18350's 800 mAh which I'm rotating and now i guess I'm going to be monitoring!! ..... ive been using it pretty much everyday does Rob recommend you turn off at night or is it an f.y.i. for long term storage?

10. nerak

nerak ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Great thread Jan!

Same goes for the VV Woodvils!

I don't turn mine off overnight. But if they won't be used for a day or so they get turned off.

11. JC Okie

Supporting member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    hi, George. like Karen, I didn't worry about turning it off for overnight, It took several days of slow, slow, small drain on the battery......weeks even, to take my batteries to the point of no return. Actually, I would turn it off overnight now because why waste battery power?

I don't want to alarm anyone. Overnight won't hurt. Mostly just be aware of it, and if you know you're not going to be using your VV for awhile, just take the batteries out or turn the power switch off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.