"Health Officials" bust vendors, promoters at NJ Vape Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdrummer

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Jersey
This could actually be the best thing that ever happened to vaping. Look at the opening statement;
"...local and county health officials who fined the expo hall manager, the event promoters and nearly 70 sellers about $50,000 for violating the state's indoor smoke-free air law."

Now, you can almost guarantee that one, if not all of those people are likely to fight that fine in court. Now would be the best time to prove in a court of law that vaping IS NOT smoke or any form of combustible tobacco product...

That is if everyone goes to court to fight the fines. The reason I went was to check out any new hardware (slim pickings). I've seen Hamfests better run than this convention. After standing in the queue for 30min to "register" the credit card system took a dive so it went from credit card only to cash only (with no registration). Maybe that was by design.

de KF2M

Reactions: k2zs

VCross

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Yucaipa, California
Now, you can almost guarantee that one, if not all of those people are likely to fight that fine in court. Now would be the best time to prove in a court of law that vaping IS NOT smoke or any form of combustible tobacco product...

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see them take this all to court and pull a massive win for vaping but if it goes south it'll get spun as "Oh look. Vapers are worse than smokers. They not only don't follow the rules but pollute the air with their toxic chemicals and blah blah blah" and vaping will actually end up being more heavily regulated and taxed than smoking if it's allowed to continue. So if they do take it to court, their defense case had better be more well planned than their expo.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Vaping isn't going anywhere. By doomed, I mean legitimized, mainstream, widely accepted. That chance came and went...

eCigs are easily way more mainstream now than they were in say 2011.

From vaper perspective, they aren't any less legitimate. And from non-vaper, not so politically aware people, they are more mainstream than they were just 4 years ago.

In shared reality, the only thing that has really happened since say 2011, is that you are forbidden to vape in more places than you would've been 4 years ago. Even then, I doubt most non-vapers know this, and thus you could, rather easily get away with vaping in pretty much all locations, unless you vaped in front of a security camera or staff/guard. But since 2011, every aspect of vaping (literally every aspect) has grown, and/or become more mainstream.

I don't see how they were ever going to be widely accepted with ANTZ rhetoric dominating world culture. I also don't believe you thought they ever would be. If I am mistaken about this, let me know of what period you are referring to.

It is nice to see that when you said doomed, you didn't mean doomed. You meant it won't be more widely accepted as long as pics of vape conventions look like a foggy day. Yet, there are vapers who would rather not be in a fogged up room, regardless of the reason. I wouldn't wish to, but also wouldn't hate to see it happen and would strongly prefer it be allowed to happen than not. But, I also prefer if you are going to have a vape convention, make sure ventilation in the room is great.

If 80 of us got together anywhere (including outdoors) people nearby would notice our presence and may dislike what they see. Yet, get 80 people of any type together and I'm thinking not everyone would look fondly on them congregating.

Get a thousand vapers together inside a space (indoors) that will just barely fit a thousand vapers and I really don't see the harm in what they are up to. Thus the "not widely accepted" thing is really just spinning the ANTZ rhetoric into emotional plea for there to be no vaping anywhere indoors.

And is why I'd like to see organizers of this event, despite errors they may have made, fight back. And I mean fight back hard.

The regulation they were up against is a big fat Fail.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I think the general population was far more accepting of cigalikes in 2011 than the current fad of sub ohm box mods...

I think if I went to 100 non vapers and asked them how much they like sub ohm box mods, they would have zero idea that I am talking above vaping.

That "vaping" is now a word in a legitimate dictionary speaks to how widely accepted the activity has become.

That ANTZ still exist and are there to demonize all aspects of vaping speaks to how widely accepted vaping may never be.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I think if I went to 100 non vapers and asked them how much they like sub ohm box mods, they would have zero idea that I am talking above vaping.

That "vaping" is now a word in a legitimate dictionary speaks to how widely accepted the activity has become.

That ANTZ still exist and are there to demonize all aspects of vaping speaks to how widely accepted vaping may never be.

Take one out in public and blow some clouds, then ask them what they think. Preferably in a pediatricians office...

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Take one out in public and blow some clouds, then ask them what they think. Preferably in a pediatricians office...

You buy it, and I'll definitely do it.

I would bet most non-vapers still think cigalikes are all there is to vaping. And the non-vapers who are aware of other devices might think some look dorky / cheesy / over the top, but also probably think the industry must be doing very well to be making such diverse gadgetry, and probably have ones they think are pretty cool looking. Do all vapers like all devices, and have no problems with them? Do all mobile phone users like all mobile devices? Do all gamers like all games currently on the market? If answer is no, then surely mobile phones and games are not widely accepted in society.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
People also need to realize it was not the whole convention that was an issue.
nearly 70 sellers about $50,000 for violating the state's indoor smoke-free air law.
It seems to have been a more targeted strike
this weekend drew roughly 1,200 vendors and electronic cigarette enthusiasts,

Wouldn't the majority of that figure be Attendees?
Wouldn't the Majority of Vaping be by the Public?
Were all of those Vendors holding and USING Vaping devices?

I think rather than waste time on Billybob and Joe no money - seems they targeted the ones with pockets deep enough for a decent payout.

If you tell me it's okay if I vape, it is still my choice whether to do so or not.
If the law says it is not and I ignore it, that is my bad, not yours.

So, my question is exactly why did each receive fines for VAPING INDOORS?

personalvoid

Jul 19, 2015
Simple. No more indoors events at least in the summer. I admit it was a bit foggy there and not the most pleasant environment.
But aren't these placed fitted with ventilation? Dif anyone bother doing a review of the safety features of the building if they were functional. Well cheaper to send a bunch of officers fining, and better to fine a few with money than 1000 without. Why? Because 1000 people have more voting power than 70.

As a sidenote, what was the reason for no vaping indoors? Fire sprinklers? Next event within hours?
As long nobody can explain why vaping is dangerous, to me not smoking is an act of goodwill, and as such there should be acts of goodwill from the people who wants to limit you lr freedom. They knew their audience they should have found out a nicer way to communicate rather than fining people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jman8

nic_fix

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
I do not understand how this is a free country with all the limitations imposed upon us by lawmakers. honestly for adults this is not such a big deal. what happened to the right of consent? stopping {OTHER STUFF} perhaps because that has other implications. I bet what is honestly found when the dust settles is this is harmful but not as so as tobacco. the real truth I think is this is hurting tobacco sales. who lobbies again? look how they have thwarted cures for cancer which I happen to have. this is unreasonable. we all could vote for a libertarian and the ensuing demise of the country that will come along with them. we will have our ecigs though! these shenanigans are really disgusting. it is not fear mongering I am sure this is about money. I mean what are parking tickets for at the simplest level of these matters. now on the other hand something that is truly harmful, ahem tobacco should be banned. you all know why that will never happen. therein lies the answer to why this is occurring I believe. look, you can't fight city hall. so it is what it is. they will read our petitions and do as they see fit. I can assure everyone of that. I don't like this but how will it ever change. perhaps with time. time is the only key factor. things that were out of the question a mere 20 years ago are taken for granted today. shouting is doubtful to raise eyebrows at this point however. I just feel this way from a lot of experience as an attorney. I know this is our passion but there are even bigger injustices unfortunately. some may say my attitude but okay I am jaded. I have seen it all before. one thing I would like to know is if there has yet to be a proven case of cancer from vaping! trust me they have done studies. there is no way they have not. this is not about a health epidemic. I can assure you all of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

personalvoid

Jul 19, 2015
I do not understand how this is a free country with all the limitations imposed upon us by lawmakers. honestly for adults this is not such a big deal. what happened to the right of consent? stopping {OTHER STUFF} perhaps because that has other implications. I bet what is honestly found when the dust settles is this is harmful but not as so as tobacco. the real truth I think is this is hurting tobacco sales. who lobbies again? look how they have thwarted cures for cancer which I happen to have. this is unreasonable. we all could vote for a libertarian and the ensuing demise of the country that will come along with them. we will have our ecigs though! these shenanigans are really disgusting. it is not fear mongering I am sure this is about money. I mean what are parking tickets for at the simplest level of these matters. now on the other hand something that is truly harmful, ahem tobacco should be banned. you all know why that will never happen. therein lies the answer to why this is occurring I believe. look, you can't fight city hall. so it is what it is. they will read our petitions and do as they see fit. I can assure everyone of that. I don't like this but how will it ever change. perhaps with time. time is the only key factor. things that were out of the question a mere 20 years ago are taken for granted today. shouting is doubtful to raise eyebrows at this point however. I just feel this way from a lot of experience as an attorney. I know this is our passion but there are even bigger injustices unfortunately. some may say my attitude but okay I am jaded. I have seen it all before. one thing I would like to know is if there has yet to be a proven case of cancer from vaping! trust me they have done studies. there is no way they have not. this is not about a health epidemic. I can assure you all of that.
Thinking about this, is just another story of a sub-culture going mainstream. It has to fight the establishment before.
With all the racial disputes has been the same over the years, and with sexuality, the same!

Incredible how mankind is tricked into this thinking in the same patterns again and again and cannot recognise similarities between those topics. I would say the ability to perceive patterns in the way we think, would be the single most globalizing progress of mankind since the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nic_fix

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
it is just certain people. strangely the politician types. I embrace all walks of life and customs. unfortunately I never ran for office! I am sure you know about all the governors in Illinois. absurd really. in Chicago you can only carry a 2" knife but the thugs use guns. proud member of the nra but what do they do about the thugs? more people in prison instead of an education system that works. oh well. this does relate to vaping because it is the same people at work. like I said time is really the only factor. however if you really look nothing has changed. like you say race, lgbt etc. they just became more covert in their ways of oppressing people. they sure are not beating around the bush with the vaping situation though. I would not be surprised if it goes on someone's campaign to thwart us. right now we are the enemy here. also like you say the only real change that has occurred is the advent of the internet. that, my friends is truly revolutionary. in some odd turn of events people can find their true personality on line now. however still to this day not in public. a real shame.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
It's where the media gets pictures of vaping from...

That, and the "behavior" of some of the vapers. Wasn't there one last year that was in a hotel, and the hotel asked that people not vape in the lobby or something, and of course some of the vapers got all uppity and police or security was called in? I don't remember the details but it was rude. Vapers don't run the world, and people checking into a hotel don't want to have vapor blown all over them.

Reactions: JimDrock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread