Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I'd like to agree with you k2zs, but I have a sense that none of those fines that were levied have anything to do with vaping.
Swatting the noses of people who refuse to go along with authority is what those penalties are about, and vaping is just an excuse for exercising authority.

Yeah, let's just do away with rules (because rules have to be enforced, which brings authority into it to settle things when people won't follow the rules) and descend into anarchy.

I hate being places where somebody is playing their radio so loud I can't hear the person I'm with. But enforcing that to a "music fanatic" would be an outrage, right? I mean, I would be taking away their *cough* FREEEEEE-DUM.

How about just some common sense? And respect for others? And/or for the rules (whether or not you like or agree with them) of where you're at?

We had this conversation at the pool this morning. Some of us are swimming laps and somebody without any SITUATIONAL AWARENESS suddenly appears in your lane and you just about drown them because you don't expect them to be floating around in front of you all of a sudden. It's actually in the rules of the pool, at the door.......yet almost every week, there is somebody who doesn't get it.

Ditto, adult swim. Every week, there is some adult who brings a child....always some excuse, like grandma has to babysit. Well then stay home! We go to adult swim (2 hours a day on weekdays only, and we pay admission) so we don't have to listen to children shreaking, babies crying, or children floating into us while we swim. We only get 10 hours a week, and the pool is open 49 hours a week......they have 39 other hours to swim with their kids/grandkids.

I've got a different perspective....how about people just following the rules ......and if they don't like them then go about changing them in a constructive way? Instead of throwing a tantrum or inconveniencing everybody else. Oh wait........that would actually take work and planning and personal time......easier to just break the rules then bellow loudly what jerks everyone else is......

Its like people who come to this forum and can't follow simple rules. they have a fit over posting 5 times to show they're not a bot. Then you have the ones who get banned from here, and go to other forums and do nothing but COMPLAIN about the moderators here and what a lousy forum ECF is.

Obviously, there are people who just don't like rules......and it doens't matter whether they are about vaping, swimming, or forum posting. They just can't seem to handle authority.

Last edited:

nic_fix

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
racehorse, you have valid pints as well. my rant was not about following rules that are imposed but the oppression of humans. two different things. some things should not be "rules" in the first place. don't forget once slavery was a rule. I am upset because it never really went away. it just got swept under the carpet. who enforces the enforcers? my understanding is that the individuals that were fined in this thread were doing as they understood they were allowed to. indeed, vape bash 2 you are speaking of was a disaster. it was due to the poor planning of the promoters not individuals. please do not label a group but judge individuals based on their own merits. what I was upset about is this is very often overlooked in one way or another. the few rule breakers should not procure a name for all vapers. this is like saying x religion are bad people. that is very wrong. still, many will persist at this and it is those that are the moral decay of our society. I understand fully what you say but here that is being used as fuel against a large convention of people from all backgrounds. I feel all shall be treated fairly, with dignity and due process. let those that break establishment like it or not be penalized. I agree with you on that but not as a group. also, jman8 that attitude is by and large what causes this stigma. we live in a semi regulated society. be thankful for the many freedoms you enjoy. we can all work for change but I agree you can not spit in the face of the law. like it or not. in that regard not much changes but we shall have to live with that. in regard to things such as vaping indoors. hatred is an entirely different matter. we do not have the right to hate others. or certainly at least not act upon such feelings. be them vapers or any other group of people. that in and of itself is both morally and legally on the wrong side of the fence. complain to the person that brings a kid to adult swim but not loathsome for kids in general. this thinking can quickly escalate and cause vastly bigger issues than any implied "rules". I am not saying this is the way you in particular feel but this is where this generally heads. which of course is why we as vapers already enjoy so many issues and limitations. if everyone had kept quite this may have gone unnoticed. save for a juice shop on every corner. however even I prefer them to firearm shops. the while vaping thing has just ballooned out of hand in general. even in it's infancy as it may be. I will sadly admit many of us brought attention to ourselves. with the views of our society a few bad apples spoil the bushel. such is history.

VCross

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Yucaipa, California
Some rules (like don't vape indoors) were meant to be broken.

Yeah. No. That's just a very childish mindset to have about all this. If I'm at a restaurant with my family and one of you guys starts blowing big billowy clouds like some of those people at that expo were, I'm going to walk over to your table and ask you to stop. It's rude and disrespectful. I'm, obviously, a vaper as well and my wife is too. We like our vape just as much as the next guy here. But there is a time and a place for it. If you're at a place that doesn't allow vaping and local ordinance dictates that you receive a fine for vaping indoors if you don't follow the rules then you should have to pay the fine. Just like when you're driving down the road and a cop pulls you over for going 80 in a 65 zone or not stopping at a stop sign that had literally no traffic anywhere near it. Should you be fined for that? Yes you should. Telling the cop "Rules were meant to be broken" is just going to get you pepper sprayed and beat over the head with a baton and honestly when that story makes the 6 o'clock news, I'm gonna laugh at you for being an idiot.

Honestly, I feel like everyone on these forums and all vapers in general should follow the do no harm mindset. Either help the community or at least do no harm to it. Unfortunately, the events at the NJ Expo did nothing but harm the community. I'm not saying I don't think it's a stupid rule because, IMO, it is a stupid rule but it is still a rule nonetheless. Just like traffic laws. Just like the places where you work and go to school and the places where you take your business have rules. You have to follow them or suffer the repercussions of your actions. If you're not man enough to own up to that then you're not man enough to be doing it in the first place. Of course, I'm also one of those guys, I'll take a quick stealth vape when I'm at the movies. There's no specific law or regulation about it here where I live but it is ultimately the decision of the owner if he/she doesn't want to allow it and I get caught sneaking a stealth vape and get asked to leave, guess what I do? I don't sit there and whine and cry and cause a huss-fuss about it. I just pack up my things and move on. Like any responsible adult would. I broke the rules knowing what the repercussions would be so when I do get caught I accept my punishment.

The people at that expo did little to no research on the rules there and ended up breaking them, mostly out of ignorance but who's fault is it that they didn't know? It wasn't the State of New Jersey's fault. Their laws are quite clear on the matter and are easy to find. It took me less than 5 minutes to find out what the laws were in 1 Google search. It wasn't the fault of the people enforcing the law. It's not their job to inform you of the laws. It's their job to enforce them. It is your job, average joe schmoe, to know what the laws are and what the repercussions are of breaking them.

This "Rules are meant to be broken" mindset is what keeps giving the vaping community black eyes and making all of us look bad and by following that mindset and having a fog bank follow you wherever you go is going to have permanent repercussions on all of us. So that mindset of "My vaping isn't hurting anyone and I should be allowed to do it wherever" is actually hurting every vaper. Even the new guy who just started out a few days and picked himself up a cig-a-like kit so he can try to quit smoking and he hasn't even heard of ECF yet. You're hurting him. And if regulations get passed that crack down hardcore on vaping (the mythical Vape-ocalypse) it'll be because of people with the "Rules are meant to be broken" mindset and that new guy that just started with his first cig-a-like kit is not going to have the opportunity to vape at all and he'll end up getting stuck on analogs and like almost everyone that smokes, it will literally be the death of him. "Rules are meant to be broken" is going to get a lot of people killed. Maybe not directly but a lot of people will eventually die due to smoking related deaths and their blood is going to be on the hands of people like you who thought it was fun/cool/whatever to break the rules whenever you wanted to because "rulez is stoopid".

nic_fix

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
well said vcross. that mindset is also why the prison system is overloaded. that mentality leads to bigger risk taking. if rules are in place regardless of if you like them they are rules because they are not to be broken. could you imagine a society with no laws. I would not care to live in one. I did not realize it was against state law there. then yes, they were in the wrong. as with vape bash they messed up. rules aside common courtesy takes place. there are always people that are just obnoxious in all aspects of their lives. these are the very people that ruin things for everyone else. the rules are often based on what if scenarios. in this case plenty of people have proved their point. now we all will deal with the repercussions of this childish behavior. honestly this has become much more than quitting smoking. smoking was never an attraction or sport. you wonder why this is being regulated now. it has garnered too much attention. besides the fact that it is cutting into big tobacco. you guys would have killed this regardless. I just posted about 12 volt mods. this has gone too far already. it no longer has anything at all in common with the usage of analogs. reminds me of a movie about chocolate. the baby was born and the beast reared it's ugly head. oh well.

Reactions: JimDrock

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Some rules (like don't vape indoors) were meant to be broken.

If one feels a set of rules are meant to be broken then they must also accept that fines are in place and meant to be issued upon breaking them.
Nobody is going to sue or take this to court, as you previously suggested, because they would be laughed right out of the courtroom and rightfully so.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
If one feels a set of rules are meant to be broken then they must also accept that fines are in place and meant to be issued upon breaking them.
Nobody is going to sue or take this to court, as you previously suggested, because they would be laughed right out of the courtroom and rightfully so.

It would be like someone faced with a speeding ticket showing up to court and saying the speed limits aren't high enough...

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I think the general population was far more accepting of cigalikes in 2011 than the current fad of sub ohm box mods...
there is no indication i can see of box mods having any impact
on the general public's perception of e-cigarettes.
that is mostly a myth invented by the "vaping community".
around here if anyone notices at all its more like,hey look,its
one of those e-cig thingy doo dads.
regards
mike

Reactions: KattMamma

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Yeah. No. That's just a very childish mindset to have about all this. If I'm at a restaurant with my family and one of you guys starts blowing big billowy clouds like some of those people at that expo were, I'm going to walk over to your table and ask you to stop. It's rude and disrespectful. I'm, obviously, a vaper as well and my wife is too. We like our vape just as much as the next guy here. But there is a time and a place for it. If you're at a place that doesn't allow vaping and local ordinance dictates that you receive a fine for vaping indoors if you don't follow the rules then you should have to pay the fine. Just like when you're driving down the road and a cop pulls you over for going 80 in a 65 zone or not stopping at a stop sign that had literally no traffic anywhere near it. Should you be fined for that? Yes you should. Telling the cop "Rules were meant to be broken" is just going to get you pepper sprayed and beat over the head with a baton and honestly when that story makes the 6 o'clock news, I'm gonna laugh at you for being an idiot.

Honestly, I feel like everyone on these forums and all vapers in general should follow the do no harm mindset. Either help the community or at least do no harm to it. Unfortunately, the events at the NJ Expo did nothing but harm the community. I'm not saying I don't think it's a stupid rule because, IMO, it is a stupid rule but it is still a rule nonetheless. Just like traffic laws. Just like the places where you work and go to school and the places where you take your business have rules. You have to follow them or suffer the repercussions of your actions. If you're not man enough to own up to that then you're not man enough to be doing it in the first place. Of course, I'm also one of those guys, I'll take a quick stealth vape when I'm at the movies. There's no specific law or regulation about it here where I live but it is ultimately the decision of the owner if he/she doesn't want to allow it and I get caught sneaking a stealth vape and get asked to leave, guess what I do? I don't sit there and whine and cry and cause a huss-fuss about it. I just pack up my things and move on. Like any responsible adult would. I broke the rules knowing what the repercussions would be so when I do get caught I accept my punishment.

The people at that expo did little to no research on the rules there and ended up breaking them, mostly out of ignorance but who's fault is it that they didn't know? It wasn't the State of New Jersey's fault. Their laws are quite clear on the matter and are easy to find. It took me less than 5 minutes to find out what the laws were in 1 Google search. It wasn't the fault of the people enforcing the law. It's not their job to inform you of the laws. It's their job to enforce them. It is your job, average joe schmoe, to know what the laws are and what the repercussions are of breaking them.

This "Rules are meant to be broken" mindset is what keeps giving the vaping community black eyes and making all of us look bad and by following that mindset and having a fog bank follow you wherever you go is going to have permanent repercussions on all of us. So that mindset of "My vaping isn't hurting anyone and I should be allowed to do it wherever" is actually hurting every vaper. Even the new guy who just started out a few days and picked himself up a cig-a-like kit so he can try to quit smoking and he hasn't even heard of ECF yet. You're hurting him. And if regulations get passed that crack down hardcore on vaping (the mythical Vape-ocalypse) it'll be because of people with the "Rules are meant to be broken" mindset and that new guy that just started with his first cig-a-like kit is not going to have the opportunity to vape at all and he'll end up getting stuck on analogs and like almost everyone that smokes, it will literally be the death of him. "Rules are meant to be broken" is going to get a lot of people killed. Maybe not directly but a lot of people will eventually die due to smoking related deaths and their blood is going to be on the hands of people like you who thought it was fun/cool/whatever to break the rules whenever you wanted to because "rulez is stoopid".
i as a good citizen can see how this incident is being perceived as being bad for the "vaping community".
on the other hand it seems to me the local authorities could have been more accommodating.
after all if your running a convention center the whole idea is to have conventions, at least
i hope that's in their mission statement. they could of looked the other way and no one would
have been the wiser.
Minneapolis and Saint Paul have large convention centers. over the years there
have been similar instances when local ordinances have collided with scheduled
activity's. fortunately for some reason that escapes me considering the political leanings
of the city councils they have created regulations that are quite user friendly.
you can pretty much get a waiver for anything that is legal,even if not allowed every
where. for some reason that also escapes me they decided its good for business even
though as i have said when you consider the political leanings of the city counsels its
hard to understand how they came to that conclusion.

baffled regards
mike

Last edited:

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
That may well be the new" face of vaping. When I started vaping back in 2009, it was about people trying to quit smoking. I don't for one minute think that that is what it is about today. The face of vaping today is 18-25 year olds blowing cloudz bruh! It's become a sport. I see videos online of under aged kids doing "vape tricks" and "Cloud Contests". It is nothing more than a "Richard" measuring contest. Too bad because it held such hope for getting folks off cigarettes.
I disagree.

I still think the overwhelming majority of vapers do it to NOT SMOKE.

The media portrays a different picture, similar to the one you're stating. It's a ploy.

Yes, youngsters vape to blow clouds. And it gets them a lot of attention. But that doesn't mean they're the majority.

Fact vs Fiction

1. Friday after B2B was conducted & consumers were allowed into the expo at 12pm Officials were at the front door telling people to go home. They were also being told the event was closed and some were being told it was at max capacity. Consumers also sign waivers stating this was an expo with a list of health concerns you as a consumer needed to know.
2.Saturday Health inspectors were handing out $250.00 fines to anyone who was caught vaping. People were told general/casual vaping could be done in an adjacent building BUT NOT on the Main Floor. AT 4pm a sign was posted on the doors stating the event was closed due to Max Capacity. The building was half empty Vendors were getting fined as well. Some Vendors did pack up and leave the expo. People were then being told juice could be sampled at 0mg nic ONLY but no other vaping was allowed.
3.Sunday Alot of Vendors were either packed up & Left Saturday or were packing and leaving early. I was on site at 2:30pm and a lot of big name vendors were gone & tables empty. The ac system was working but barely. It was extremely hot inside with poor ventilation. At 4pm another sign was placed on the doors stating event was max capacity which it was not and they did not allow anyone with out a wristband inside. There was also signs inside the event which stated no re entrance once you left the building.

This event was not held in a community setting. The expo was located in side an industrial type park. The general public was not near the event.
If NJ does hold another Vape Expo it should be held in Atlantic City as you can STILL SMOKE INSIDE Casino's.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
This looks like a great way to have a vapefest:
UK Vapefest 2015 for Dummies | UK Vapefest

Outdoors, like a nice summer concert series/festival.
Free, and you can camp out in a tent. Live music.

Nice.

the while{whole} vaping thing has just ballooned out of hand

We have have people who suggest vaping in a pediatrician's office. I'd say it has certainly ballooned to somewhere..... :rolleyes:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

It's interesting that you bring up speeding, because I was thinking of that when I wrote my rules were meant to be broken statement. People drive over the speed limit very close to "all of the time." I'm not saying anything newsworthy here, it is that common place. I am yet to receive even a warning for speeding in my life, so while I break this rule often, I'm not one that does it in a way that apparently is in need of a warning.

And like your restaurant example, I'd vape there, but perhaps not at the table. I'd probably go to restroom and am curious how you, a fellow vaper, would react to me vaping there, if you caught me, and there was rule of "no vaping on the premises." Would you tattle on me?

Regardless of your response, like speeding, I'm still going to do it. And still fairly confident I won't get caught. The people who vape (or speed) in a disrespectful way are not usually people I relate to well, but I also don't resort to position of "it's good society has rules and we need to punish / make example of the rule breakers." Yet disrespectful law breakers are usually the ones that are made an example with, as warning to all others. But 1000 people today could be busted for speeding in your location, and do you think this will stop people from speeding tomorrow in your location? I'm pretty sure you know the answer to that is no, and instead would take draconian measures and lots of technology to get to a point where no one is speeding ever again. Same goes with indoor vaping.

Just like traffic laws. Just like the places where you work and go to school and the places where you take your business have rules. You have to follow them or suffer the repercussions of your actions. If you're not man enough to own up to that then you're not man enough to be doing it in the first place. Of course, I'm also one of those guys, I'll take a quick stealth vape when I'm at the movies. There's no specific law or regulation about it here where I live but it is ultimately the decision of the owner if he/she doesn't want to allow it and I get caught sneaking a stealth vape and get asked to leave, guess what I do? I don't sit there and whine and cry and cause a huss-fuss about it. I just pack up my things and move on. Like any responsible adult would. I broke the rules knowing what the repercussions would be so when I do get caught I accept my punishment.

If / when I am caught, I will accept the repercussions. But because some rules are meant to be broken, then the actual rule in place is "don't get caught." Similar to how a teen might smoke even while there are clearly rules / laws in place against teen smoking. I wonder if anyone reading this has ever known a teenager that might smoke?

The legislators of the NJ law are responsible for passing a law that is on the ludicrous side of things and one that a) will routinely be broken, b) rarely will be caught and c) stands a chance of being amended, if d) people are looking at the issue apart from ANTZ politics / rhetoric. Either way, the rule will be broken for as long as it is in place, and only time it will be looking like it is not is when these sort of things like the Expo occur where it is a gamble for organizers, but one they might wish to follow up with to counter opposition.

I obviously disagree with all of this, and am batting 1.000 in my indoor vaping experience of 4 years. So, if you wish to pretend it is me, or likes of me, that are ruining it for all vapers and getting people killed, so be it. I find that so politically naive it is not worthy of rebuttal right now, but I'll look forward to sparring with you on the many threads like this one that are sure to come forth.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
After watching the Busardo video (part 1, thru about 11 min. mark), I don't see how any politically aware vaper can side with the law on this one. Perhaps if I watch more or learn more from this little one sided discussion we are having, I'll have a different opinion. Right now, I see those siding with the law as agreeing with national Democrats on how vaping should look in America (read as shamed and not done at all).

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Of course the people in the wrong are going to paint themselves as innocent, rather than admit to poor planning, or not reading or understanding the NJ Clean Air Act...

"Indoor public place" means a structurally enclosed place of business, commerce or other service-related activity, whether publicly or privately owned or operated on a for-profit or nonprofit basis, which is generally accessible to the public, including, but not limited to: a commercial or other office building; office or building owned, leased or rented by the State or by a county or municipal government; public and nonpublic elementary or secondary school building; board of education building; theater or concert hall; public library; museum or art gallery; bar; restaurant or other establishment where the principal business is the sale of food for consumption on the premises, including the bar area of the establishment; garage or parking facility; any public conveyance operated on land or water, or in the air, and passenger waiting rooms and platform areas in any stations or terminals thereof; health care facility licensed pursuant to P.L.1971, c.136 (C.26:2H-1 et seq.); patient waiting room of the office of a health care provider licensed pursuant to Title 45 of the Revised Statutes; child care center licensed pursuant to P.L.1983, c.492 (C.30:5B-1 et seq.); race track facility; facility used for the holding of sporting events; ambulatory recreational facility; shopping mall or retail store; hotel, motel or other lodging establishment; apartment building lobby or other public area in an otherwise private building; or a passenger elevator in a building other than a single-family dwelling.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
hotel, motel or other lodging establishment; apartment building lobby or other public area in an otherwise private building;

And yet smoking is okay in the Casino's open the the Public at large where a non-smoker can sit side by side with a chain smoker playing the slots.

No different than U.S. Governments strict stance on The Dangers of Smoking while continuing to Protect the Tobacco industry rather than shutting it done.

Laws/Regulations that do not apply to all should not apply to any

If the Attornies involved did not clearify the possibility of a Wavor being required and in place and the Health dept./Counsel did not Specify a requirement then All ASSUMPTIONS may be mute.
There seems to be CLEAR Flexibility in Upholding the Clean Air Act.

I seriously believe not one of us, not involved in the actual planning, have any idea what may have been the cause of the Fiasco.

(After receiving complaints) From Who?
My best guess is a well planned attack.

I'd almost bet it had more to do with Government Embarrassment (Governor) than anything else.
The Venue may have been their house, but the State is the Governors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread