May 29, 2017
San Francisco

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Is one of these cheap heat guns ok for battery rewrapping? Hair dryer works but is really a pain to use, just not hot enough to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE...=UTF8&qid=1511844704&sr=8-3&keywords=heat+gun

https://www.amazon.com/USA-Seller-P...UTF8&qid=1511844704&sr=8-11&keywords=heat+gun

Either one of those Heat Guns should be more than enough to Shrink Wrap a Battery. Just heed what SupplyDaddy said.

BTW - That Folding Hook on that Proline is a very handy feature. Nice to be able to hang a Hot Heat Gun on something while it cools down.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I use my wife's hair dryer on high to shrink wrap batteries. I start about 6 inches from the battery and move it back and forth, decreasing the distance until I see the wrap start to shrink. I tap it to roll it over and make sure both sides get equally heated.

It really doesn't take a heat gun unless you are wrapping batteries in a commercial environment and need all the speed you can get. That said, I like high tech toys, too!

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I use my wife's hair dryer on high to shrink wrap batteries. I start about 6 inches from the battery and move it back and forth, decreasing the distance until I see the wrap start to shrink. I tap it to roll it over and make sure both sides get equally heated.

It really doesn't take a heat gun unless you are wrapping batteries in a commercial environment and need all the speed you can get. That said, I like high tech toys, too!

Same here, works perfectly.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Question for you experienced wrappers.

Do you start in the center and work outwards or do you start on one side and work across?
I usually start on one end and while turning the battery, work to the other end.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Is one of these cheap heat guns ok for battery rewrapping? Hair dryer works but is really a pain to use, just not hot enough to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE...=UTF8&qid=1511844704&sr=8-3&keywords=heat+gun

https://www.amazon.com/USA-Seller-P...UTF8&qid=1511844704&sr=8-11&keywords=heat+gun

I ended up getting a heat gun from Harbor Freight for like $10 that works like a charm. If you have a store in your area I would say stop in and get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Thanks @SupplyDaddy I have wraps for when it is time but when I do wiring connectors I usually start in the middle so the shrink tubing stays centered. I am curious how others do the batteries.

When wrapping batteries I start in the center and work to one end, then hit the other end. On the + and - sidens of the battery the wrap tends not to lay flat so I heat the ends then just put pressure on it while I press the end onto the desk which flattens the wrap so it lays flat on the ends.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

I'd be afraid to use a heat gun that didn't have adjustable temperature because it would run so hot, but that's just me. A lot of people do quite happily.

I don't have a hair dryer (I get a migraine from blow drying my hair, so I have no use for one), so I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/ZeopoCase-Po...id=1511887264&sr=8-16&keywords=embossing+tool

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Question for you experienced wrappers.

Do you start in the center and work outwards or do you start on one side and work across?

Here is my Tech...

Rewrapping 18650s hints and tips?

I actually Do. And I stumbled onto a New Tech the last time I did a Battery.

1 - Cut your wrap so there is about 3/16" - 4.5mm of Excess on Both Ends.

2 - Center the Wrap on the Battery and grip it at the Center of the Battery.

3 - Heat the Negative End of the Battery while Rotating the battery. When the Negative End shrinks flat, put the Negative End on something Flat and Heat Resistant like a counter Tile or a Diner Plate.

4 - Now with the Battery Standing Upright with the Negative End on the Tile/Plate, put the Insulator Ring on the Positive End. Now put your Index Finger on the Flat Top/Button Top to keep the Insulator from Blowing away in the next step.

5 - (Here's the New and Improved Tech) With the Battery still on the Tile/Plate, and your Finger still on the Flat Top/Button Top keeping the Insulator in place, Point the Blow Dryer at the bottom portion of the battery until you see the Wrap start to shirk. Now Move the heat Up the Battery chasing the Shrink until it gets to the Top and Curls over the Insulator.

6 - Now the Insulator should be trapped enough that you can just keep your Finger on the Top of the Battery just to keep it from falling over.

7 - Rotate the Battery about 90 Degrees or so and Repeat Step #5.

8 - Once the Sides are gone and the Top is Pretty much Curled Over, give the Top a Good Blast to heat it up and then Immediately press the Top into a Towel or wadded up T-Shirt.

---

The Tech of Chasing the Shrink Up the Battery tends to keep Minimize Air Pockets and Wrinkles. And allows you to put More Heat onto the Wrap without Blasting your Hand at the Same Time.

ETA: Most of the Pre-Cut wraps I have bought come cut a Tad Too Long. And need to be Trimmed by .125"/3mm or so.

If you are having a hard time getting the Negative End or the Positive End (or Both) laying Flat, it is usually a Good Sign that the Wrap was Too Long.

zoiDman, Feb 22, 2017 Report

Rewrapping 18650s hints and tips?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Do you have a video? Where do you buy your wraps?

My son is needing more sets of married batteries and was wanting to put different colored wraps on each set so it was easier to know set one from set two, for instance, and I was thinking of getting him a new mod and some new married sets for him and just doing the wrapping myself (Christmas and all) .. but honestly, I'm worried of doing it wrong.. lol.

First time for everything though!

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

My son is needing more sets of married batteries and was wanting to put different colored wraps on each set so it was easier to know set one from set two, for instance, and I was thinking of getting him a new mod and some new married sets for him and just doing the wrapping myself (Christmas and all) .. but honestly, I'm worried of doing it wrong.. lol.

Sorry... Never made a Vid for this.

---

I've bought a Lot of Wraps from IMRBattery. Nice selection of Colours, Cheap Shipping, and they work Very Well. They also have Terminal Insulators which are next to Nothing cost wise.

Wraps - 18650 Wraps - IMRbatteries.com

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

You can get wrappers from FastTech, any number of vape shops, Amazon or eBay. I think there are some more American sources, but I don't pay much attention to that so I can't help you there.

Videos abound on youtube. Just search for "battery rewrapping" and you'll find a wide selection. I'd recommend watching a few of them so you can see different techniques and pick something that works for you.

I was a bit intimidated by the prospect of using heat around a battery when I started, but I found that all the people saying "there's nothing to it" are right. Just make sure you use as little heat as possible - once the wrap shrinks tight, you're done.

Good luck! Sounds like a great present idea.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

The wraps are basically heat shrink tubing if you’ve ever used that before. Heres a tutorial

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
BTW - If your Mod has a little clearance around the Battery, you can get all Creative by Printing Images and then shrinking a Clear Wrap over them.

UISOciq.jpg

COZJUu2VEAAI5N_.jpg

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Thanks @Wheelin247 I have a High Power Heat gun in my tool box but most probably will use my hair dryer because it is like a friggin heat gun! Use it all the time for making gift baskets. Could also use the Blue Point Butane Torch if I wanted.

Yeah I used my wife’s hair dryer until she couldn’t find it cause it was in my vape room. I gave it back and got a heat gun when I started building lipo mods and using heat shrink for the wires.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread