Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

1/2 fast

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
SW Ohio
BTW - If your mod has a little clearance around the Battery, you can get all Creative by Printing Images and then shrinking a Clear Wrap over them.

UISOciq.jpg

COZJUu2VEAAI5N_.jpg

These are cool! Think you just gave me something to do on the crappy winter days just around the corner. Thanx for posting this. :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
These are cool! Think you just gave me something to do on the crappy winter days just around the corner. Thanx for posting this. :)

Yep... Those are a Great RDP's (Rainy Day Projects).

And you can Include things like Battery Specs, Dates, Rotation Numbers, etc along the back edge in Fine Print. I did one once of a Crossword Puzzle that looked pretty Cool. Kinda No End to the Possibilities.

Just make sure that the Opening in your mod has enough Clearance and you're Good to Go!

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Yeah I used my wife’s hair dryer until she couldn’t find it cause it was in my vape room. I gave it back and got a heat gun when I started building lipo mods and using heat shrink for the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I never use my hair dryer for my hair and heard for years I am crazy going out with wet hair! So even though I hang it in bathroom it is only used for shrink wrap cello bags and works so well it will be what I try first. I guess the first few will be tests because it seems pretty even on center start or ends.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I ordered this one instead as it is smaller and not as hot as the others. Only 300 watts instead of 1500 and 200C temp. Should be enough without superheat

https://www.amazon.com/ZeopoCase-Po...id=1511887264&sr=8-16&keywords=embossing+tool

As most wraps are supposed to shrink at around 80 C, you'll have heat to spare.

Did you notice that embossing tools/mini heat guns are sold by 1,001 companies, but if you look at the close-ups they're all identical? Or almost identical. You can get blue and white or red and black, but the design's the same down to the diamonds along the body. I suspect they're all produced by the same company, but the resellers certainly manage to vary their pricing!

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I ended up getting a heat gun from Harbor Freight for like $10 that works like a charm. If you have a store in your area I would say stop in and get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I did, however, I have a Hot Air soldering station and that took it's place!

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yes easy to control with one hand but also has the drop down wire that lets it sit on a table and you can just spin the battery around in front of it.

And all that for a Very Reasonable Price.

I'm Big on buying Quality Tools. And for things I use a lot, or where Precision is needed, I don't mind spending Reasonable Money on them.

But for Tools I Don't use all that much, it's Nice to find something that Works Well at a Good Price.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
The wraps are basically heat shrink tubing if you’ve ever used that before. Heres a tutorial

I don't know but, personally, I think a heat gun would be much easier. He makes it look simple, but the reality is that it would be very easy to burn the wrap using a flame versus a heat gun or blow dryer. I have shrunk a LOT of shrink tubing and always found a heat gun to be much simpler than a flame - think "an idiots guide to heat-shrinking".

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Yep... Those are a Great RDP's (Rainy Day Projects).

And you can Include things like Battery Specs, Dates, Rotation Numbers, etc along the back edge in Fine Print. I did one once of a Crossword Puzzle that looked pretty Cool. Kinda No End to the Possibilities.

Just make sure that the Opening in your Mod has enough Clearance and you're Good to Go!

+1
I include batt ID & data in fine print along the edge of the custom printed images and simply turn it to the back side when the batt is in use.

Made it near 4.5 years before I had any vaping batts that actually needed re-wrapping, and those were just the LG HG2's and Samsung 25R's. But I too had to buy a heat gun kit when I stocked up on battery wraps and insulators for them. Overkill, but it's had other uses.

Attachments

• HGK1.jpg
    HGK1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 18

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I ordered this one instead as it is smaller and not as hot as the others. Only 300 watts instead of 1500 and 200C temp. Should be enough without superheat

https://www.amazon.com/ZeopoCase-Po...id=1511887264&sr=8-16&keywords=embossing+tool

I ordered that one, too. Haven't used it yet, but it's a nice small size with a concentrated heat stream.

I have a bunch of clear and colored wraps. I've only wrapped a few that were nicked, but I'm thinking that a clear wrap with a small Dymo labeler label heat shrinked under the wrap with the purchase date on new batteries would be a good way to keep up with battery age.

Right now I have some older 30Q's and VTC6's that are suspect. I also have new ones and never know which are the old and which are the new ones. I always wonder which I have in my mod when I leave the house for a while. I always carry a zipper case with a battery and a juice bottle in the vehicle, but it would be nice to know I have newer good cells in there, too! Small labels with the date under the overwrap would solve that problem.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I wrapped some older LG- HG2s with clear labels. I just printed the battery type, date purchased on plain white paper on an ink jet priner, then cut the paper to fit and slid the label under the wrap before shrinking. Worked great without sticky tape and thin.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I wrapped some older LG- HG2s with clear labels. I just printed the battery type, date purchased on plain white paper on an ink jet priner, then cut the paper to fit and slid the label under the wrap before shrinking. Worked great without sticky tape and thin.

Pretty cool idea. You could even print pattern if you want to add a design and/or some color. Nice.

Reactions: stols001

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
That's what I do as well.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The Amazon gun is a good tool for a great price. I heat shrinked date labels on the new 30Q's I ordered and the gun did a great job. It's plenty hot enough for heat shrinking battery wraps. I got a little close on one and my heat sensitive Brother label started to turn dark on the end under the wrap. It's plenty hot.

I'd buy that heat gun again. It's a good tool at a good price. From now on I'll put a date label on every battery I buy so that I can tell them apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread